New Member - SW Florida

Valina

Hello,

Thank you for accepting me into the group; I am excited to be here. My name is John Rago, electrician by trade and I live in Florida. I owned a brand new 1971 Monte Carlo until about 1985, when it was stolen. It was Burnt Orange in color with a white vinyl top, beige cloth interior, 402 motor with fender skirts. I joined this club to meet new people, make some additional car related friendships, and for the LOVE of the Monte Carlo. I am also hoping to replace my stolen car with another Monte Carlo. The problem with me is, as I get older and more mature, I become more of a perfectionist. I am looking for a 70-71 SS fully loaded in concours condition or close to it. I know, I know – it will be hard to find but I am patient. I am married to my best friend, Maryann and together we have four daughters and six grandchildren. We have been involved with other muscle cars throughout our life and always had a sweet spot for the 1st Generation Monte Carlo. I will try and find some photos of my old car to post at another time. Thank you for taking the time to read my intro. Looking forward to all things in this group.

Once again, thank you – John R.

• Like 4

Hey John Welcome to the club!!!  Did you live in Fla when she was stolen? Sounds like you have a full plate with 4 daughters and 6 grandkids. I only have 4 and cant find the time to do anything on the cars when they are around. 

Hi, John,

Welcome to the club and forums! I hope you are able to find a nice '70 or '71 SS in time.  I owned a '70 SS for eight years and know what it's like to have that itch scratched - there's nothing else like it.

I also live in SW Florida in Punta Gorda for six months and a day (required for permanent FL residency) during the late fall/winter/early spring season. My (almost) daily driver here is a modified big block/4-speed '70 into which I have invested considerable time and money.  It is a blast to drive and I really miss it when I relocate to north-central MN for the summer each year.

Where in SW FL do you live?  Maybe we can hook up at a local car show next fall.  In the meantime I hope you enjoy the club and are successful in acquiring your own SS.

• Like 1

Welcome. As we get older patience (?) is also a problem. Lol. Good luck in your search. You missed a few real nice ones that were sold by members of the group. They are out there. Good luck and again welcome. 

Welcome to the madness lol. You just missed one of our members beautiful MC going across the block (link with video below) Good luck with your search, they are out there. Just a suggestion, make a list of your priorities, must have and wants. 

12 hours ago, willie said:

Hey John Welcome to the club!!!  Did you live in Fla when she was stolen? Sounds like you have a full plate with 4 daughters and 6 grandkids. I only have 4 and cant find the time to do anything on the cars when they are around. 

Hello, I lived in Chicago until 2003, then moved to Florida.

Thanks, John

2 hours ago, DragCat said:

Welcome to the madness lol. You just missed one of our members beautiful MC going across the block (link with video below) Good luck with your search, they are out there. Just a suggestion, make a list of your priorities, must have and wants. 

You confused me Mark, that's Jim's car in the picture and I know he didn't sell that. You were talking about Jared's car that sold. Ya know it's not that hard to confuse me 🤣

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, MCfan said:

Hi, John,

Welcome to the club and forums! I hope you are able to find a nice '70 or '71 SS in time.  I owned a '70 SS for eight years and know what it's like to have that itch scratched - there's nothing else like it.

I also live in SW Florida in Punta Gorda for six months and a day (required for permanent FL residency) during the late fall/winter/early spring season. My (almost) daily driver here is a modified big block/4-speed '70 into which I have invested considerable time and money.  It is a blast to drive and I really miss it when I relocate to north-central MN for the summer each year.

Where in SW FL do you live?  Maybe we can hook up at a local car show next fall.  In the meantime I hope you enjoy the club and are successful in acquiring your own SS.

HI! I live in Cape Coral. It would be great to connect and how do I find out about the local car shows? Are they Monte Carlo shows or all types of cars? I am originally from IL and travel back and forth a few times a year to see the family.

13 hours ago, willie said:

Hello Willie! Thank you. The car was stolen in Chicago at that time that is where we lived. We have been in FL since 2003. We do have a full plate but the family all lives back in IL so I have plenty of time for fun/hobbies.

12 hours ago, Canuck said:

Welcome! Great group here :)

Hello Aaron, thank you for taking the time to speak with me the other day. I really appreciate it and it helped me get through the membership process.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cny first gen 71 said:

:W to the group,  hope you find what your looking for. 

Hello Steve, thank you very much. I'll be on this site/forum quite often.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dtret said:

Welcome. As we get older patience (?) is also a problem. Lol. Good luck in your search. You missed a few real nice ones that were sold by members of the group. They are out there. Good luck and again welcome. 

Hello Dennis, thank you. Yes, sometimes patience is a problem, but I know there are some really nice cars out there. Just have to wait for the right one. This is a main reason to join this group. Very informative and I want to be where the action is.

12 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

Welcome John! Good luck on your search for a replacement to the Monte that was taken from you all those years ago. 

Thank you Thomas. I am trying my best.

10 hours ago, Glen said:

Welcome John!!   This Monte appeared here not too long ago.  One of our members  commented that it’s been for sale for over a year, so perhaps that’d be a good bargaining chip…

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/chevrolet/monte-carlo/2569750.html

Hello Glen. Thank you. I believe this car just sold at auction. I need to be more vigilant and keep up with all these cars.

5 hours ago, Michael Boyte said:

Congratulations John on joining this fantastic club. I am sure with patience and the help of the members here , you will find exactly what you are looking for !

Hello Michael, thank you. Yes, patience and this group, I may find what I am looking for. Thanks again.

2 minutes ago, Valina said:

Hello Dennis, thank you. Yes, sometimes patience is a problem, but I know there are some really nice cars out there. Just have to wait for the right one. This is a main reason to join this group. Very informative and I want to be where the action is.

Yep, a great bunch of people in this group. I’ve learned a ton after I thought I knew it all. Lol. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DragCat said:

Hello Mike! Thank you very much. Hopefully I can catch the next one. I have a mental list of what I want plus now the group, so I think I am covered.

5 hours ago, Valina said:

Hello, I lived in Chicago until 2003, then moved to Florida.

Thanks, John

I swear I immediately wondered if you were ever from Chicago. The last name jumped out at me for some reason.  About where did you hang your hat when you lived here?