Topic suggestion

1 hour ago, Dtret said:

I have never worked on a lot of rear diffs especially a posi. But I’m guessing this isn’t good. Is this one of the spider gear shims? 

Looks like it. Probably slipped out when the cross shaft was removed to pull the axles/c-clips. Real easy to miss that it slid out of place, and this is what you end up with when it rolls around like it's in a washing machine.

• Like 1

There are only 2. Well, 1 now. They go between the spider gear and differential case. The spider gears that the cross shaft go through. Not the side ones that are attached to the axles. 

Detroit trutrac time!! 

1 hour ago, MC1of80 said:

There are only 2. Well, 1 now. They go between the spider gear and differential case. The spider gears that the cross shaft go through. Not the side ones that are attached to the axles. 

Detroit trutrac time!! 

I got lucky when I put the trutrac in the 71. Never done it before and I do NOT have the proper tools. I don’t think I wanna gamble twice. Lol. 

As long as you are not changing the ratio just swapping out the posi unit is easy as you know. Just make sure the left shim/s stay on the left and the right shim/s to the right. 

• 3 weeks later...

Rear diff is all rebuilt. Pinion, carrier and axle bearings. And al related seals. New gear shims as well. Ready for blasting and paint. I fixed the blade on my rear defogger as well. I know no rhyme or reason to my order but at least it’s something. The pictures almost loaded in order to. Almost. 

1651C7A5-8346-4C77-8778-8969C0927A29.jpeg

6EB518C1-8FC3-48D5-BA49-AE11768868C7.jpeg

494C43B3-F884-4309-AE81-9BB942FC593E.jpeg

23628C08-9BA1-4DD1-8BDF-1B15627CD316.jpeg

AD52C85E-DF4F-4B65-9837-FF97382568AB.jpeg

5E782CD4-2F2C-4445-9038-F2AAA01FA40B.jpeg

• Like 5

Hey Dennis, what State did you buy that beautiful SS from?  I think the Meadowlands are trotters, my Mom loved them. i don't understand, it's like any gambling place, you hand them your money, they say Thank You (and then they laugh) lol    I will check the buckets that are out of the car now, but i don't remember seeing that tape on mine.

9 hours ago, willie said:

Hey Dennis, what State did you buy that beautiful SS from?  I think the Meadowlands are trotters, my Mom loved them. i don't understand, it's like any gambling place, you hand them your money, they say Thank You (and then they laugh) lol    I will check the buckets that are out of the car now, but i don't remember seeing that tape on mine.

You obviously have my car confused with a different one. Beautiful. I don’t think so. Lol. Maryland, but it was originally sold in Pennsylvania. 

13 hours ago, cny first gen 71 said:

I gotta say someone has been in there before judging by that date. Wonder why, maybe new covers in 84.

The newspaper was kinda slid down the side of the plastic trim. I think someone was hiding a gambling problem. Lol. 

You obviously have my car confused with a different one. Beautiful. I don’t think so. Lol. Maryland, but it was originally sold in Pennsylvania.

Not confused at all Dennis, maybe just alittle pre stated. But i know your work!!!

You can call her the trifecta car!!!

23 minutes ago, willie said:

You obviously have my car confused with a different one. Beautiful. I don’t think so. Lol. Maryland, but it was originally sold in Pennsylvania.

Not confused at all Dennis, maybe just alittle pre stated. But i know your work!!!

You can call her the trifecta car!!!

I think I will be using different words than that. At least for now. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...