Topic suggestion

Dennis i agree with Mark. You do good work, not much of it but what you do is good!!!    Glad you are finally doing something on the car as opposed to searching for parts!!    Good Job!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...
On 1/1/2023 at 5:20 PM, Dtret said:

That’s the exact same thing Karen asked. Lol. My answer wire brush, elbow grease, and a lot of scrubbing. O and my trip to PA to pick up a bunch of heat/ ac parts. 

Thank you for sharing... I just sent the evaporator and condensor out for flush.  Thank you for your heater box photographs. Today is the day, going to pull ours for referb.  I hope it is at lease half as nice as your work.  Fortunately I have Chevrolet Restoration World in my back yard in Dayton, OH so parts are just up the street.  Stay Safe. Brad

Note the sand in the air duct has been in there since the late 70s when my wife lived in Florida.

20230311_222656.jpg

20230311_212150.jpg

20230311_221431.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stuckin70s said:

Thank you for sharing... I just sent the evaporator and condensor out for flush.  Thank you for your heater box photographs. Today is the day, going to pull ours for referb.  I hope it is at lease half as nice as your work.  Fortunately I have Chevrolet Restoration World in my back yard in Dayton, OH so parts are just up the street.  Stay Safe. Brad

Note the sand in the air duct has been in there since the late 70s when my wife lived in Florida.

20230311_222656.jpg

20230311_212150.jpg

20230311_221431.jpg

Thanks for the compliment. I’ve been to Restoration World a few times. I see you’re from Dayton, not far from me. If you have any questions let us know we’ll be happy to help. 

32 minutes ago, Dtret said:

I’m pulling all the bushings on all the control arms and ran into this. This is so wrong. I hate hacks. 

D7E85960-93EF-43EA-87FD-D9E903A8A24A.jpeg

Old school repair when the ball joint won't stay seated.  I have seen many "welded" in joints. Mostly a tack or 2 on the other side. Never like that though. Ughhhh! 

• Like 1

You may have trouble getting that one to press out.  I wonder if they tried to drill the old one out and ended up with an enlarged hole.  The right tool for the right job.

rob

• Like 1

Looking for control arms now. Lol. IF I ever finish this pos I’ll have a fortune in it. I should have crushed it when I had the chance. But now it’s turned into a mission. I will win, I will win, I will win. ( go ahead and keep telling yourself that dummy). 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dtret said:

Looking for control arms now. Lol. IF I ever finish this pos I’ll have a fortune in it. I should have crushed it when I had the chance. But now it’s turned into a mission. I will win, I will win, I will win. ( go ahead and keep telling yourself that dummy). 

Oval or round bushing Dennis? 

1 hour ago, MC1of80 said:

Oval or round bushing Dennis? 

Round. I already have a set located. Another road-trip. I do have a set of ovals here but the one I need is bent ( off the crashed 71 I bought). It’s a smooth bend and it can be straitened. 

• Like 1

Today’s acquisition. I also got to install front coil springs on a bare frame 70. Hopefully we will have a new club member from north of Indianapolis. ( you’re welcome Rob lol. ). 

48F5D0AF-E249-4EE7-9E48-886FB8B3EAC9.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thank You! 1

Great Score there Dennis.  Regarding the control arm Oval/Round question.  If I am not mistaken the arms are interchangeable.  Hope you properly stalked the seller to get him to join, if not maybe you will have to attend a stalking seminar at the Carlisle Mini-Meet

rob

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

From what I have read on the o so reliable inter web the ovals were put on cars at every plant, on no specific car, and were even mixed, round and oval. The same for BOP. But I sure don’t want to change this and be charged for a modification. These came off a 70 small block car. I now have 5 of them o so rare Monte steering wheel scripts if anyone wants give up one arm and one leg. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Dtret said:

But I sure don’t want to change this and be charged for a modification. 

Oh Dennis, there are many more things we could ding you on without crawling around looking at those

rob

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Dtret said:

But I sure don’t want to change this and be charged for a modification. 

As long as you don't try to slip a GM crate engine in there and say it's considered OEM, you're good.

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, jft69z said:

As long as you don't try to slip a GM crate engine in there and say it's considered OEM, you're good.

But it’s original gm dang it. If gm made it and put it in a car it’s original !!!!!  Lol. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Kook 2

16 minutes ago, Dtret said:

But it’s original gm dang it. If gm made it and put it in a car it’s original !!!!!  Lol. 😂

WOW, you sound like someone else I know.

rob

• Haha 4

50 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

WOW, you sound like someone else I know.

rob

Ya. And don’t you forget it. I’m right and EVERYONE else is wrong  😂😂😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2023 at 2:54 PM, Dtret said:

Thanks for the compliment. I’ve been to Restoration World a few times. I see you’re from Dayton, not far from me. If you have any questions let us know we’ll be happy to help. 

Thank you Dennis, please.  I cannot figure out how you opened up the full case?  Most of my louver seals are in good shape.  The one for the defrost door, not so good.  How did you get into that part of the case?

Apparently there are a few pop rivets that need drilled out... other than that.  it is not budging.  Please advise. Thank you, Brad

20230403_133544.jpg

20230403_133603.jpg

20230330_192125.jpg

20230403_133634.jpg

20230403_133733.jpg

20230403_133742.jpg

20230403_133743.jpg

Once you get to that point of disassembly it’s just a matter of figuring out how the rods come out. If I remember correctly each one is a little different. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/18/2023 at 5:15 PM, Dtret said:

I hear you.  Same here, was too far gone.  the wife reminding me it was worth 20 cents a pound didnt help... none the lest brother, were going for the gold... Route 66, end to end! Stay safe

• Like 1

On 4/3/2023 at 3:32 PM, Dtret said:

Once you get to that point of disassembly it’s just a matter of figuring out how the rods come out. If I remember correctly each one is a little different. 

Well it took a while, ready to assemble when i can figure out the type of and replacement ofthe foam insulater on the defrost door as well as the strip on the blend door.  lowes and Rural King had some interesting products, closed silicon foam however, at 3/8" wide it will not work for the defrost door.  I amopen to suggestions, thank you.

20230422_202105.jpg

20230422_202123.jpg

20230422_202138.jpg

20230422_202422.jpg

20230422_202505.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...