Water Pump changeout and Issues!

Been trying to change Water Pump out and have decided I didn't like those GM supplied Hose Nipples and purchased Stainless Steel Hose Nipples.  Figured those would not corrode and build up all that ugly around base of Nipples.  But those Stainless ones are a bit longer in length (1/4") and prevents me from installing the By Pass Hose onto Nipples as distance is not enough and angle to steep to prevent Hose from collapsing when installed (see pic 1).  Pic 2 shows both the Stainless longer Hose Nipples100_6977.thumb.JPG.ccf69c64b6b88db38f25c0fe0dfca996.JPG shows both Stainless Fittings100_6969.thumb.JPG.5138ee4fc103f8fc8fc1748aa8ff5628.JPG

So after much tool throwing (for distance) I decided maybe a 45 degree angle fitting would work.  My brother had one so I borrowed it and seems to work but, the Fitting isn't 3/4" inside dia., but 5/8" dia. that may change with the larger dia. Fitting installed.  I was able to install Hose (see pic) with Pump Side Original Nipple not screwed into Water Pump but in place.  I haven't attempted trying to screw in Fitting yet to see if it will thread properly as there is pressure pushing back against the Fitting, but believe it will work.  So going to see if I can get that Stainless Steel 45 degree angle Fitting and try it again along with Original Hose Nipple on Water Pump end as I need that additional 1/4" clearance I think!.  The GM original Fittings were each only 1 1/2" long and while difficult to secure By Pass Hose, would work, I just don't want those ugly Fittings back on there but probably will need original on Water Pump end.  Been messing with it for a couple months now!  Some of that time was used cleaning up for a Refresh of Engine paint, primarily on the engine front and refresh Intake Manifold.  Even the hose clamps I selected are suspect and will have to test them once all together for any leakage.  I tried Spring Clamps, Wire Spring Clamps and will stay with Wire if all works when together.  Gettin close but no Cigar as yet.  Anyway, just sharing and once I get this issue resolved, I can finish and see if she's still drivable after all my wrenching.  I guess when you change from OEM parts, you should anticipate Nothing else lining up unless you have given it some consideration prior to expecting everything to work the same. :doh:   Well, at least the Motor and Intake look way better than they were.   :2beers:  ps;  Happy Easter everyone

Doug

100_6987.JPG

HOSE ON.JPG

I probably won’t be much help here, as my mind raced in other directions upon reading the word “nipples” five times in your first paragraph alone. 

Thank you for that, Doug. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Weird......when I did my engine swap I too upgraded to the stainless nipples ( your welcome Glen) and didn't have any issues. I'm pretty sure I got mine from Summit and I'm pretty sure they were Tuff Stuff brand.