Not a new member, but a new Monte in the Family

Glen

I was gonna wait until I got the opportunity to get them both out for side-by-side pictures, but I didn’t want to continue to tap dance around the technical issue I was asking help with. 

So here is where I’ll spill the beans. Mr. Lyman was gracious enough to sell me his baby, and she made the trip from Myrtle Beach to her new home in Chicago back in January. 

Some of the linkage on the choke was disconnected and missing, making cooler weather starts a chore, so she was left on the trickle charger until schedules permitted troubleshooting to commence, which was today.  My mechanic came over and he was able to scavenge the necessary pieces off another carburetor to get her running. However the choke spring itself is shot so I have one coming from the parts place to be installed upon arrival. 

But while working on the carb, my mechanic pointed out two vacuum lines that weren’t connected. We cycled through all the settings for climate control and they all cycled as they should. This guy actually had a 71 SS up until about 14 or 15 years ago so he knows the car in and out, but he was confused by the vacuum lines and the lack of obvious culprits.  He asked me to dig up what I could regarding schematics so he has something in front of him the next time we can get together and finish this thing. He sold his business a year ago and no longer has the Monte, so all his relevant literature went with the sale  

All that said, the only time I drove her was around the block to get her in the garage after I had to push her off the trailer upon her arrival from Myrtle Beach. The driver was obviously not familiar with carbureted cars, and even if he were he would’ve never got it started with the bad choke and single digit temps the day the car arrived. He flooded the ever living hell out of her and was going to melt the starter with the way he was cranking on it. That’s when I almost dragged him out of the window and told him we’re gonna push the car off the trailer and I’ll get her started. 

Anyways… didn’t mean to be secretive, just wanted to give her a grand entrance in the company of her big sister. Those pictures will be forthcoming. But for now, here are pictures from my official first drive..

D6E63C5E-2D97-44D4-B371-5B673CA8BC89.jpeg

2D862990-ED40-48A0-9BA4-561AECE6EA13.jpeg

586C287B-3E9A-460A-857A-81D614512AAC.jpeg

8B1E099D-3839-481C-9902-14B35B73E204.jpeg

• Like 9

Congratulations Glen, I saw that car on a calander before I even knew of Bob. He lived in a neighboring town near where I grew up. Although I haven't met Bob in person I've seen him on Facebook and here pretty nice guy. Good luck with the new car it's a beauty as your other one is too.

5 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Congratulations Glen, I saw that car on a calander before I even knew of Bob. He lived in a neighboring town near where I grew up. Although I haven't met Bob in person I've seen him on Facebook and here pretty nice guy. Good luck with the new car it's a beauty as your other one is too.

Thank you Steve!  I talked to Bob and emailed him regularly as we worked out the deal and we still communicate semi-regularly...He got today’s pictures first. I will actually be taking a ride to Myrtle Beach in a couple weeks to pick up the original trans, driveshaft and assorted other goodies that the transport company wouldn’t bring with the car. If he’s half the gentleman in person that he is on the telephone and via email, it will be an absolute pleasure meeting him. 

I tried to load a short walk-around video I took with the car idling, but for some reason it would’nt post… THREE TIMES 🤣😂

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 1970mcss said:

Glen, congrats on the new ride. Now you need the 72 custom trifecta. The 71 looks good on the street of Chicago

Thanks Paul. I love the idea of the trifecta.  The likely divorce if I were dumb enough to attempt such a feat?  Not so much. I’ve got both cars registered for a local show in August and I told mama she can pick which one she wants to drive there and back (gotta keep ‘em happy, right?).

I can’t wait for the weather to be consistently warm here so I can enjoy her more. Looks like 80° on Saturday … should be a good night to take her out!

That’s great Glen, congrats! That is a beautiful car and happy to see it found a good home. If you want any photos of my 71 SS carb setup let me know.

Awesome news! I wondered what lucky person ended up with this car. I’m thrilled that it’s a member of this group and she kind of stayed in the family so to speak. Congratulations!

Congrats. Now we are in the same boat ( except your other one is done), do we chase the custom?  Lol. DIVORCE. Bigger problem is storage. Beautiful car. Bob did it awesome. You got an awesome car. 

5 hours ago, Canuck said:

That’s great Glen, congrats! That is a beautiful car and happy to see it found a good home. If you want any photos of my 71 SS carb setup let me know.

Thanks!  I’ll PM ya my email for those pix.  Those will be very helpful. 

1 hour ago, sbarnette said:

Awesome news! I wondered what lucky person ended up with this car. I’m thrilled that it’s a member of this group and she kind of stayed in the family so to speak. Congratulations!

15 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Congrats. Now we are in the same boat ( except your other one is done), do we chase the custom?  Lol. DIVORCE. Bigger problem is storage. Beautiful car. Bob did it awesome. You got an awesome car. 

Thank you both. Yeah Dennis, I hope to unload the Corvette before next winter so at least one of the Montes can go in that garage. If not?  I guess I’ll have to figure out a Plan B. 

4 hours ago, Glen said:

Thank you both. Yeah Dennis, I hope to unload the Corvette before next winter so at least one of the Montes can go in that garage. If not?  I guess I’ll have to figure out a Plan B. 

If you’re going to sell the vette, now is the time. People get that spring fever. I really need to figure out something. Karen is not going to be happy if she’s outside for another winter. At least she’s under a carport. Lol. 

• Like 2

Good for you Glen! Now you have to decide which one to take to Carlisle this year...right? 😁

Not to worry about storage, I have a space for one of them here if you need it 🤣.

4 hours ago, DragCat said:

Congrats, I couldn't get the videos to play tho 

I don’t know what happened with the videos Mark (I’m a bit tech challenged … as evidenced by me somehow posting it 3 times). It was a quick walk around with her idling. I’ll try to figure it out and repost

3 hours ago, jft69z said:

Good for you Glen! Now you have to decide which one to take to Carlisle this year...right? 😁

Not to worry about storage, I have a space for one of them here if you need it 🤣.

I was hoping to join you all this year Joe, but college tours for the kiddo take precedence. Hopefully next year as my soon to be HS Senior has pretty much narrowed down her choices 🤞

And good lookin out on the garage space 😂. But maybe let Dennis have that spot so his better half can finally park in their garage😃

2 hours ago, 714024SPEED said:

Congratulations and best of luck with your new Monte

Thanks Kevin. I’m sure I’ll be picking everyone’s brains here the longer I own them. 

• Like 2

Congrats Glenn!!!!   Now you have 2 beautiful sisters!!!  I think we all should have at least 2. LOL Anything after that is what we call pure gravy!!   lol

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, willie said:

Congrats Glenn!!!!   Now you have 2 beautiful sisters!!!  I think we all should have at least 2. LOL Anything after that is what we call pure gravy!!   lol

O shut up. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, willie said:

Thanks, Willie. Agreed, two is better than one… unless it’s alimony payments 🤣  That said, there’ll be no gravy anytime soon here as I worked just about all my magic to pull this off.  Gotta give it a year or three before I can and pull the ol’ “hey, babe, whatdya think of this color”? trick again (that’s how I introduced her to Bobs SS 😂🤣). 

And don’t let him dissuade you, Dennis. Look at it as encouragement and motivation for your newest project. 

2 hours ago, 714024SPEED said:

Speaking for our Monte family. Missery love's company.lol can't have to many..... That what I tell myself and my wife.... I think she's catching on to my B.S.

Yeah Kevin, that’s why we have to play dumb. I finally have all the materials for the interior redo for the ‘70, so I scheduled the job. When mama bear asked what it’s gonna cost my response was “you’re getting your front room back in a few weeks”, lol. See the attached pix of how this particular room in my house has looked for over a year. 

And a quick couple of the girls together in the garage …

352F9E52-42F1-4C2B-BE2F-1F73F4E5A88B.jpeg

876AD1D6-05C4-45DA-ACD3-EAFAF076EDEC.jpeg

C8B77792-6050-431C-8D05-57875DBA9D36.jpeg

2595A049-5E50-4419-8AD1-D337AD829263.jpeg

• Like 7

4 hours ago, 72 Monte Carlo said:

Congrats on the new to you 71 Monte Glen!!!

Thanks Doug… I can’t wait to get more time to spend behind the wheel. Work schedule has put the kibosh on that for now, but summer vacation will be here soon. 

• Like 1