Alrighty then! Here we go.

Lou

My least favorite part of classic cars (for lack of knowledge) is electrical.:

FYI, fuses are all good.

Symptom:

No instrument panel lights. ( I have dome light, headlights, turn signals)

Problem:

Took dash pad off and found the following.

IMG_20220423_074025925.thumb.jpg.527a95b6f3a03629dd2e20d54c67cc54.jpg

Which is connected to this:

IMG_20220423_074229456.thumb.jpg.c2c7b308f8315785062ab9faec8db22a.jpg

Which is semi-connected to this by black wire with white stripe:

IMG_20220423_074332506.thumb.jpg.99a0f2a8e016b301f9ae409094c230fa.jpg

And this was connected to whatever connection (same color wires and connection fits) is behind the radio that's not there:

IMG_20220423_074457416.thumb.jpg.ae739760c6cdf8f15e7edf3cfc1c94bf.jpg

Where do I start?

A wiring diagram would be a good place to start. I believe the yellow black and grey are foe the radio. The green and black maybe speakers. Should have nothing to do with the dash lights. Did you check the ground at the dash? Did the dash light ever work?

• Like 1

I did not check for ground at dash.

I have wiring diagrams but thy might as well be in Portuguese. I guess it's about time to learn a new language.😒

Could be a disconnect at the light switch as well...... I recently replaced my dash lights with led, and found a few of the light sockets to be damaged. Add new ones, and now all my lights are working !!! :)

Did they work and   just quit?  It could be the light switch itself. On your switch ,on top of switch ,behind dash is a round top pin( knob) with a spring under it. Push that down and light switch knob will pull out from dash side.Then I take contact cleaner  and spray into switch. Push light switch rod back in ( it will click) and turn knob left and right. Pull switch knob out to 1st stop, Dash lights should come on. It gets corrosion/ dust ,dirt , inside and doesn't get good contact in switch. Sometimes you can find the dome light doesn't come on with the door closed also. A sign not getting good contact in switch.

Thanks. I'll give that a shot. Funny you mention the dome light.....

I cleaned the door jamb switch and... viola! It now works. 

Will try the same with the headlight switch.

On 4/23/2022 at 10:06 AM, 1970mcss said:

A wiring diagram would be a good place to start. I believe the yellow black and grey are foe the radio. The green and black maybe speakers. Should have nothing to do with the dash lights. Did you check the ground at the dash? Did the dash light ever work?

@Lou I hope one of these helps!

IMG_5652.JPG

IMG_5651.JPG

Holy crap, I actually fixed (maybe) something in the wiring.  While working on the brakes I noticed the wire on switch on the combination valve had been pulled/chewed off. Spliced a new price of wire in temporarily and I have continuity.

Still investigating the instrument panel issues but when I come across something and I'm confident, I have to fix it.

• Like 2

Small victories, yes.

But time to think big as long as I have people in the know........

From left to right:

Headlight switch ground, gauge cluster connection, 2nd ground, clock connection.....

IMG_20220425_195656295.thumb.jpg.5d333071b6d61269d04e090e581aafaa.jpg

Is it safe to reconnect battery to test these connections with a voltmeter and test light and how do I do it?