Greetings From OR

Springwatersci

Hey Everyone,

My name is Jarrett and I live outside of the Portland, OR area. I've got a green 72 monte thats been parked in my father-in-laws shop in Idaho for about 5 years now, and I've been spending a lot of time thinking about picking it up and doing a frame-off. I'm pretty good with my hands, but I'm smart enough to recognize when I'm in over my head, and so I figured I ought to reach out to those who have gone before.

The first generation Montes, and especially the 72 with the blinkers encorporated into the grille, have always been my favorite cars. Its looking like I might be in a place financially to actually make this happen at some point in the relatively near future, and I look forward to getting to know the other members of the community!

• Like 5

Welcome Jarrett,  are you sure it needs complete resto? Maybe it could be one you work on as you enjoy and get to know before you decide complete restoration.  Good luck with it there's a ton of info here and lots of people willing to help along the way, we love spending other people's money lol. Just kidding lots of great people here.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

we love spending other people's money lol. Just kidding....

No he's not, Lol

Welcome, you've found the best place for help and info to get your 72 back in shape. I'm partial to the 72's myself since my first car was one & I'm on my third one now.

We love pictures here, post them up and that'll help give us a better idea what you're working with.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Welcome! This is a great group here.

We have the Western Meet coming up in Ashland, Oregon in June which will be a fun time. There’s also a group of us from WA, OR, BC and AB driving the coast together along the way to the meet.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Welcome Jarrett,  are you sure it needs complete resto? Maybe it could be one you work on as you enjoy and get to know before you decide complete restoration.  Good luck with it there's a ton of info here and lots of people willing to help along the way, we love spending other people's money lol. Just kidding lots of great people here.

Need is a VERY relative term. Its for sure seen better days though. I for sure need to do some repair work on a quarter panel that will most likely require a bit of welding to really do it right. Other than that, it runs and drives, but the interior is green, and I just can't with the jalapeño meets olive drab.

This monte was actually the first vehicle I've ever owned with a carburetor. I purchased it for a steal from a classic car dealer because the engine was supposedly "no good," but after closer examination, (and forgive my lack of appropriate terminology) it turned out the lever that operates the butterfly valve was installed upside when the previous owner did some work to it. After flipping that little part around, she came back to life.

Transmission shifts, and the brakes kinda work, but there's very little paint left... so does it NEED a resto... probably not... but when has NEED ever had anything to do with it?! 

I DO tend to go overboard with stuff. I think its a side-effect of having aspergers. Can someone direct me to the thread on twin turbos?

Only kinda kidding 😅 

• Like 1

Welcome Jarrett. As one of many in the group that recently rebuilt one, I can tell you it is no easy task, mentally and/or financially. As said above post pictures. Don’t be afraid to ask questions, they are not all stupid lol ( I have asked plenty that were kinda stupid). One person may not have all the answers your looking for but as a group I’ll bet you get all the answers you need. One awesome thing that I learned was if someone puts out incorrect information they have always owned it. That means a lot. Good luck, post pictures and get it running good enough to get to the meet Aaron ( Canuck) was talking about. Meeting some of the group in person is like a shot of adrenaline. It really helps. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, jft69z said:

We love pictures here, post them up and that'll help give us a better idea what you're working with.

I'm trying to find the ones I took last time I was out there. I'd have my father-in-law send me pics, but we don't much get along. Ultimately she's not in bad shape. Theres a little rust in the common areas, but it got parked in a shop in the desert shortly after acquisition to arrest it.

At the end of the day though, its a 50 year old car. I'd like to check the underside for rust and update the suspension and drive train a bit.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Good luck, post pictures and get it running good enough to get to the meet Aaron ( Canuck) was talking about.

Hey thanks!

I'd love to get down there and meet up with everyone, but we will see how much time I have between now and then! I tend to plan things well in advance, so right now my goal has been to formulate a plan, aquire parts as I find them available, and then pick up the car and bring it back this fall for a winter project.

Right now I'm trying to run a 70 acre farm with a skeleton crew, so I can't even get away long enough to tow her home, let alone work on her.

Jarrett,

Welcome aboard the boards, we hope you like what you see here and decide to become a full fledged dues paying member of club.  It is the best $25 you may ever spend.  There is so much information on this site and fairly easy to search what you want to find.  If you try a search and it does not turn up anything ask our members and I am sure they will either know the answer, tell you who to ask or even provide a link here on the site where you can find answers.

If you become a dues paying member you can join in the fun at our Western Meet (or if you feel like traveling the Eastern Meet too or even some of the mini meets our members plan.  This year would be a great year to do that since the Western Meet is very close to you.

rob

5 minutes ago, willie said:

Welcome Jarrett!!!    Glad you found us!!!   And x2 to what everyone else said!!!

What you can’t come up with anything unique?  Lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the warm welcome, and apologies for my absence! I'm elbows deep into planting and doing most of it by myself. Lots of 12 hour days right now!

I will hopefully be more active in the coming weeks once I'm able to finish up with getting my starts in, and I can spend more time daydreaming and designing my build for this winter!

First ,Welcome to the best place for 1st Gen Monte's!!  Sounds like a good place to start your journey into the classic car  ownership. These cars are a up and coming class of cars to own and restore to there to true potential. Though they were a every day car for many.... They were alot more for some. You're going to really appreciate what you're going to find out about these cars.post-259-0-93319100-1480263543_thumb.jpg

12 minutes ago, 420ponies said:

You're going to really appreciate what you're going to find out about these cars.

Hey thanks!

I'm sure there's a TON that I don't know, but I grew up riding around in a 73 owned by my parents. I always thought it was kind of ugly and big... and then I got the chance to ride in a 72 owned by a friend of my dad's, and the first-gen seemed like a completely different car... part cruiser, but part American muscle too.

Everyone RAVES about the Chevelle... but with the relatively few first gen montes produced (and the number scrapped for compatible parts) its only a matter of time before the price tag rises to the occasion. 

First ,Welcome to the best place for 1st Gen Monte's!!  Sounds like a good place to start your journey into the classic car  ownership. These cars are a up and coming class of cars to own and restore to there to true potential. Though they were a every day car for many.... They were alot more for some. You're going to really appreciate what you're going to find out about these cars.post-259-0-93319100-1480263543_thumb.jpg

Welcome Jarrett from a NE Oregon fellow Monte owner!

I got my 72 Monte in July 2017 and it's still not done yet. Working a full time job and then prioritizing friends' and family members vehicles for mechanic tasks has side tracked my Monte for the last 4 years, but now I've taken a stand told my friend's with reoccurring mechanic issues that I can't work on their stuff as much now due to the tendonitis in my left shoulder that showed up after working on their rigs for the last 4 years, and now I need to dedicate my time to my own projects for once.

When I bought my 72 Monte it was complete except for the engine and radiator. I'm the 3rd owner of it. The lady that originally ordered it, ordered it Dark Sequoia Green, green interior, black vinyl top, A/C, and tilt column. It came from the Van Nuys CA plant and was shipped to Tigard OR and then it made it to Pilot Rock OR to Maurice Roy Garage where she lived and bought it from. She always parked it in her garage and drove it until around 1999 or 2000 when her son told her she needed to quit driving due to her eyesight. She drove 15 miles from Pilot Rock to Pendleton OR regularly and drove her daughter to cancer treatments for 6 months, so the Monte has low miles on the odometer. She sold it to a local guy and he drove it for about 3 years locally until his son slid into a ditch and dented the right front fender and passenger side of the core support. It sat on concrete blocks in his yard until I bought it in 2017.

I had a new custom built 396 SBC stroker engine in it, but that has been removed and getting ready to install a fresh totally rebuilt 415ci BB engine in it. I just need to finish a couple minor body work things on it, and then I can get the etching primer on the bare metal and then some block and sanding, and finally get it painted so I can start driving it.

• Like 3