starting problems

kpcsgasp

8 hours ago, Lou said:

When you turn the key, any sound at all, like a click? Or a metal to metal sound? Or nothing?

no sound whatsoever. All lights working fine. no solenoid clicking. Battery at full charge.

8 hours ago, Lou said:

When you turn the key, any sound at all, like a click? Or a metal to metal sound? Or nothing?

no sound whatsoever. All lights working fine. no solenoid clicking. Battery at full charge.

Sounds like no power to solenoid.

Check ignition fuse?

Try giving the starter a couple whacks with a persuasion tool. If that doesn't work jump across the solenoid. If the starter comes to life check your ignition switch.

Maybe the Neutral Safety Switch is bad or out of adjustment.  With the key turned to the start position try moving the gear shifter back & forth a little bit from the park position and then also from the Neutral position.

rob

• Like 1

I had a similar problem when I changed over to an ignition system which required me to wire to 12 volts. It blew the inline fuse we had put in … Check the fuse panel and see if an inline fuse has been added for the Ignition … 

Ed C

Thanks for all the suggestions. fortunately, the problem was the park interlock switch. I ran it through the gears a couple of times and it started right up. Again thanks for all the suggestions.

• Like 1

Kevin, I think what you are referring to is the neutral safety switch.  To the best. Of my knowledge our cars did not have a park interlock.  A park interlock is used to keep the shifter from moving if the brake is not depressed and that safety didn't come out until much later.

rob

• Like 3

The 'park interlock' is mechanical on these cars, using the back drive linkage to the transmission and steering column sleeve. The mechanical parts of it in the column also stop the steering wheel from turning when it's locked. The NSS would be the thing stopping you from starting it though as Tom and Rob mentioned.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, kpcsgasp said:

I'm not always spot on with my descriptions but Rob you were spot on. thanks

Any day you can learn something new is a successful day.  I have seen the NSS cause problems before.  Glad to assist.   Even a blind squirrel finds a nut.

rob

• Like 3

11 hours ago, kpcsgasp said:

I'm not always spot on with my descriptions but Rob you were spot on. thanks

Glad you got it running Kevin. Like Rob said, when ya learn something new its a good day

• Like 1

23 hours ago, kpcsgasp said:

Thanks for all the suggestions. fortunately, the problem was the park interlock switch. I ran it through the gears a couple of times and it started right up. Again thanks for all the suggestions.

Sounds like a good excuse to put a 5-speed in. All I know about automatics is the fluid level. I'll be learning more about them soon enough.