Fuel tank 3 hoses?

Crom Cruach

I’m trying to sort the stuck fuel gauge and while I’m under here checking the ground connection. There are 3 hoses coming out from the tank, can anyone tell me what they are and where they go? 

71D054CF-57C8-4156-8902-9811819FA2F5.thumb.jpeg.9639b6c2be511ab743f72cdc3497dbc1.jpeg

the one I’m holding here is totally corroded

12 hours ago, Dtret said:

The three in your hand, two go to the fuel sender , the other goes to the nipple ( sorry Glen) on the tank. I think there may be two more but I’m not sure on a 72. 

No need to apologize, Dennis.  Now had you segued into that corroded line lactating fuel is when I would’ve thought you might be outta pocket 😂🤣

I didn't see what year your Monte is. This is what my 71 looks like.

Inside one of the hoses is a small plastic restrictor. When I changed my hoses, I almost threw it out!  

IMG_0374-001.JPG

IMG_0369-001.JPG

• Like 1

His is a 72. I didn’t know if 72 had the vapor box behind the seat.  That’s why I didn’t know about the two outside lines but the three in the center should eventually end up at the same place. 

• Like 1

72 does have the vapor chamber behind the rear seat. The gas tank may have a couple of vent lines on the outside corners too.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, stangeba said:

Inside one of the hoses is a small plastic restrictor. When I changed my hoses, I almost threw it out!  

IMG_0374-001.JPG

Ok lads, based on Stangeba’s (very useful) diagram, those three hoses are metal, and are the same three I see in this photo…

A9B73593-C4CF-4676-AB71-C24A5DAB54D0.thumb.png.f28037722803c2c251813131e5914a02.png

so the two rubber hoses (in my first photo) go to the pump, and return from condenser, is that right? Could explain my intermittent stuttering engine issue if the corroded one is to the pump. 

Could explain it but as ugly as they are, if they are not leaking they are still doing their job. My bet is that you could probably eliminate ( I wouldn’t) the vapor chamber and it would run no different. I’m not sure on that but as long as you’re still venting to the vapor canister under the hood you would be good. Like I said I wouldn’t do it but I’m sure people have. 

Yes, I still have it! The vacuum diaphragm (round thing on top) did have a leak so I bought a replacement charcoal canister with a new diaphragm. I think the large hose comes from the rear tank area, the small hose on top acts as an on / off switch allowing the fumes stored in this canister to be sucked into the running engine via the hose just below it.IMG_0644.thumb.JPG.0314371bf8a0c9b6468c5a4790284531.JPG     

1 hour ago, jft69z said:

What vapor canister under the hood.....lol.

Where them two empty core support holes are. If I did mine like you did that would have ended up in the basement somewhere. Useless garbage. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Crom Cruach said:

Ok lads, based on Stangeba’s (very useful) diagram, those three hoses are metal, and are the same three I see in this photo…

A9B73593-C4CF-4676-AB71-C24A5DAB54D0.thumb.png.f28037722803c2c251813131e5914a02.png

so the two rubber hoses (in my first photo) go to the pump, and return from condenser, is that right? Could explain my intermittent stuttering engine issue if the corroded one is to the pump. 

More likely a bad filter... Have you pulled the sender unit and looked at the tank and pick up sock ?? 

There might be some corrosion at that end.

Yes drop the tank. The sender has a ring around it that turns off. They make a special tool to get the ring off. But usually gentle persuasion with a hammer and chisel ( or something like that) wool get it done. 

• 7 months later...
On 4/26/2022 at 2:18 PM, stangeba said:

IMG_0374-001.JPG

IMG_0369-001.JPG

Finally got the tank out today. What is this restrictor? Which hose is it in? I’m putting it back together tomorrow and I didn’t see anything like this!

It may have already been thrown out. To be honest, I don't remember for sure but I remember the hose labeled "VENT PIPE" has a oval drawing on the hose and I assumed that is where it went. Where I put it, I can't remember for sure, sorry.

vent.JPG

7 minutes ago, Crom Cruach said:
On 4/26/2022 at 9:18 AM, stangeba said:

It’s weird, it looks like it just stops the flow, what’s the point? Then again the whole venting vapors behind the rear bench is a bit weird! 

There is a small hole in that blue plastic plug.