Reproduction 72 grill

layerac

25 minutes ago, McCall72 said:

Called SS396 today in hopes of getting some more details on their grille. They are A. Also on backorder and B. the person on the phone didn't know what their grille was made out of.

I was hoping to find out that they were metal grilles because theirs is a full 120.00 more dollars than I paid for the one at OPGI.

Did opgi ever send it?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Did opgi ever send it?

No, not due until August according to their last email.

Once I get it I'll post a full review. 

11 hours ago, MC-71 said:

Sorry with the question about pot metal or plastic. I just read the whole description. PLASTIC

I can't find anywhere on the SS396 site that indicates what that grille is made out of. What has me intrigued is the price difference between theirs and OPGI's. OPGI's is confirmed plastic and made by Restoparts. The SS396 one appears to be made by GroundUp, so I'm wondering if they are indeed completely different repops. I'm hoping the 140.00 price difference for the GroundUp one means its a metal one. For what its worth I called their customer service last week and the lady said she "thinks" its a metal grille, but take that with a grain of salt because they do not have these in hand yet. I have sent an email inquiry to them asking for confirmation on the material their grille is made of but haven't heard anything back as of yet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, McCall72 said:

I can't find anywhere on the SS396 site that indicates what that grille is made out of. What has me intrigued is the price difference between theirs and OPGI's. OPGI's is confirmed plastic and made by Restoparts. The SS396 one appears to be made by GroundUp, so I'm wondering if they are indeed completely different repops. I'm hoping the 140.00 price difference for the GroundUp one means its a metal one. For what its worth I called their customer service last week and the lady said she "thinks" its a metal grille, but take that with a grain of salt because they do not have these in hand yet. I have sent an email inquiry to them asking for confirmation on the material their grille is made of but haven't heard anything back as of yet.

It would be nice if this was the case.

34 minutes ago, McCall72 said:

Screenshot_20230425-172726_Gmail.jpg

And with that news I canceled my order with opgi and ordered this one. Fingers crossed that it arrives this decade and its actually really metal!

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, McCall72 said:

And with that news I canceled my order with opgi and ordered this one. Fingers crossed that it arrives this decade and its actually really metal!

Realistically, you never would have got it from OPGI anyways, so you're no further behind by trying SS396 😁.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I find it odd that they are the only company that reproduces a metal grill and everyone else has injection molded plastic. ( of course everyone has them on backorder). And for less money. I’m just playing devils advocate here and I hope you get exactly what they said. 

• Like 3

Hmmm, I also find it odd that they have a metal grill. I would suspect that it is plastic like the other reproductions offered.

• Like 2

On 4/21/2023 at 5:11 PM, McCall72 said:

Called SS396 today in hopes of getting some more details on their grille. They are A. Also on backorder and B. the person on the phone didn't know what their grille was made out of.

I was hoping to find out that they were metal grilles because theirs is a full 120.00 more dollars than I paid for the one at OPGI.

Nope!  ABS Plastic.....

Doug

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, 72-CLASSIC_RIDE said:

Nope!  ABS Plastic.....

Doug

Hi Doug, did you get a confirmation of that from the folks at SS396? Their rep has stated that their repop is metal in the previous posts above. 

16 hours ago, McCall72 said:

Hi Doug, did you get a confirmation of that from the folks at SS396? Their rep has stated that their repop is metal in the previous posts above. 

I read it on an Advertisement OPGI had offered.  I said ABS, but upon review, the AD simply said Plastic.  I had not seen anything that indicated Metal.  I remember the cost was $545.00 or so & don't see where metal could be made so cheaply.  I haven't seen one up close and no idea what type of quality it would be or if one could be ordered.

Doug

• Like 1

On 4/27/2023 at 10:05 AM, 72-CLASSIC_RIDE said:

I read it on an Advertisement OPGI had offered.  I said ABS, but upon review, the AD simply said Plastic.  I had not seen anything that indicated Metal.  I remember the cost was $545.00 or so & don't see where metal could be made so cheaply.  I haven't seen one up close and no idea what type of quality it would be or if one could be ordered.

Doug

The one I'm referring to is being offered by SS396 and being manufactured by a different company than the OPGI one.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's the same grill just different vendors. OPGI always charges more than anywhere. Its Plastic.

If it was potmetal it would be way more expensive.  Good for a drag car or daily driver save your original grille for a car show 

If anyone needs a 72 grille reach out. 864 940 2146.  :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This near perfect factory grill I have is only $25,000 USD and comes with a rust free 11,000 mile 1972 Monte Carlo for no extra charge. 😁😜

May be an image of hood ornament

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...

just to add more confusion in my mind...  when you search 72 grille, you get a few hits--- they say new grille  like in the 500 range. i may have missed it but they don't say mat'l-so figure plastic??   vendors like gbodyparts, pricelist.com ,the motorcar co... you would think they are readily available-the internet says so!!(yea rite)

so from those in the know ,what is the latest on these grilles and what are these ads all about??   HELP!   thanks                 Brian

/