I need to replace the bumpers on my 71 Monty. I went with AMD bumper sold by Tamraz for the front because it already has the holes for the bumper guards in it and I have heard good things about it from forum members such as Jared. I wanted to get some input from other members as what is the best fit and finish for the rear. I also have bumper guards on the rear but I haven’t seen any with the holes already drilled. I see AMD makes one for the rear as well along with gold star. Jared Had some fitment issues with the rear as the bumper corner on the side wouldn’t fit straight as he would’ve liked. Any idea’s

The CHL rear bumper I got from OPGI fit better than I expected. Not perfect chrome but nice enough for my 70 Monte.

I went thru 3 AMD bumpers a couple of years ago from Summit. Seems like each replacement was worse that the one before it. Wavy, deep disc grinder marks, and crappy chrome was the reason for the returns. 

Ended up re-chroming the original GM bumper.

• Like 3

Not perfect, but pretty decent for a reproduction. The cost was so much cheaper than re-chroming the original too. I agree these are not for a perfect show car but this works fine for my 1970 driver. For my 71 SS I would pay for the re-chrome.

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

May be an image of car

May be an image of car and outdoors

• Like 2

I agree, I had my 71 SS bumpers rechromed but hate to spend 1400.00 for rechroming on a driver. My SS bumpers were in good shape and rust free, plus didn’t want to drill 7 holes in rear bumper for pad. This driver front bumper was hit and straightened in 77 , and is a mess. The rear bumper could be rechromed but would rather spend less for a repo, plus it takes months for rechroming.

• Like 1

Jerry, did you try Tri-City plating in Elizabethtown, TN.  Looks like they are only 20 minutes away.

rob  

24 minutes ago, Jerry Skidmore said:

Yes Rob, that’s who rechromed my SS bumpers.they did a great job on those.

Is that who charged you $1400?  If so they have really gone up in price on their chrome work.

rob

Yes that’s who I paid 1400.00. They called it show chrome,with extra copper. Probably should take to them to see what a driver quality rechrome would be. But will probably go with a CHL repo from Leo if he finds one that the chrome looks nice.

13 hours ago, Jerry Skidmore said:

Yes that’s who I paid 1400.00. 

Was that for one bumper, or both Jerry? It looks like both from your earlier response, in which case $700 each isn't too terrible.

I paid more than that to have my rear bumper done in Erie, Pa, but that involved filling a few holes in as well.

• Like 1

Rear aftermarket bumpers are like finding a girlfriend at 30, might land a good one but most likely it's crooked 🤣 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

11 hours ago, Jared Richey said:

Rear aftermarket bumpers are like finding a girlfriend at 30, might land a good one but most likely it's crooked 🤣 

I totally agree and that’s what I thought. I didn’t find a bumper but I did find Karen when I was 36. So there is always a chance. Don’t give up hope. Lol. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, willie said:

Dennis you better butter her up, Karen has plenty of work for you to do!!! And your best helper also!!!   lol

I show her these posts. So she knows. Lol. She’s adding to the list too. All is fair in love and war. In all fairness, too all the women of us fools they deserve it. It takes a lot of special people to put up with our crap. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Jared Richey said:

Sounds like Jared is having love life issues,  maybe you can shop around for something at Carlisle.  Lots of wrench winches there.

rob

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Rob Peters said:

Sounds like Jared is having love life issues,  maybe you can shop around for something at Carlisle.  Lots of wrench winches there.

rob

He can check out the swap meet. They sell everything there. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1