Slap It!

Searsman

Ok, some may have read where I installed the true slap detention plate. This is the story afterward.

so here its Sunday afternoon on a beautiful day and I took the 71 for a spin, was feeling my oats so to say for some reason:). I live in the country with a straight stretch and 2 small knolls out front of my house. 
so I lined er up and decided I’d put my foot in the carburetor. Now, I’ve never really pushed this car but decided it was about time.

a little rpm in first gear th400, I crank it up , let her go full throttle, and she burns rubber, goes sideways, tires a squalling , geez . Gotta straighten this thing up!. Yikes I’m over 5000rpm , Slap It!. Now she fishtails, 😱.No time to look at speedo. Go over first knoll no problem, at 5000 again !. Slap it! 3rd gear, hit second knoll , front wheels come off the ground !😨.I think it’s time to shut her down. Anyway, was quite an experience, plus, no parts laying in road just rubber marks :). I’ve never been on a drag strip but in this instance my blood was a flowing good, and 71 even runs better now 😁. Gee that was fun !!!. 

• Like 9

So glad you did not break it Ron. I have not punished/pushed my 72 yet afraid I will break something. I did have a 68 Nova that had a 325 horse 327. It would go sideways in third gear and I only got 8800 miles out ot the factory original tires LOL.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MC1of80 said:

Tercel?? They make those still?? 🤔

I don’t think so but it was the first thing that popped into my diluted head.  Lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Searsman said:

Ok, some may have read where I installed the true slap detention plate. This is the story afterward.

so here its Sunday afternoon on a beautiful day and I took the 71 for a spin, was feeling my oats so to say for some reason:). I live in the country with a straight stretch and 2 small knolls out front of my house. 
so I lined er up and decided I’d put my foot in the carburetor. Now, I’ve never really pushed this car but decided it was about time.

a little rpm in first gear th400, I crank it up , let her go full throttle, and she burns rubber, goes sideways, tires a squalling , geez . Gotta straighten this thing up!. Yikes I’m over 5000rpm , Slap It!. Now she fishtails, 😱.No time to look at speedo. Go over first knoll no problem, at 5000 again !. Slap it! 3rd gear, hit second knoll , front wheels come off the ground !😨.I think it’s time to shut her down. Anyway, was quite an experience, plus, no parts laying in road just rubber marks :). I’ve never been on a drag strip but in this instance my blood was a flowing good, and 71 even runs better now 😁. Gee that was fun !!!. 

Man! I would have loved to see that! Maybe you can turn her loose in Carlisle?😜

• Like 1

Sounds like a plan , a good way to get experience dragcat, of which I have none on a strip. Maybe you or Sammy could test it out for me haha . 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/4/2022 at 9:29 AM, Searsman said:

Sounds like a plan , a good way to get experience dragcat, of which I have none on a strip. Maybe you or Sammy could test it out for me haha . 

Nah, you'll do fine but I'll surely pit crew for ya lol Just a warning tho, those few seconds of pure adrenalin can be addictive 🤣

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DragCat said:

Nah, you'll do fine but I'll surely pit crew for ya lol Just a warning tho, those few seconds of pure adrenalin can be addictive 🤣

I’m sure!

• Like 1