SS original tires

Searsman

I have all the rally wheels including the spare for my 71..  but they need tires and I am interested in replacing the tires on them now with something that is close to the original . I may be wrong but I’m not sure they were radials back inthe day and this build sheet says they had a stripe. I’ve included a picture of that section. We’re they white or red  stripped ? And what would be the best brand and type to get now? These would be a second set of tires and rims for the car. American racing wheels on there now..F735E870-5AF5-4943-AA04-B07F66963DAF.thumb.jpeg.41dd51909a31b8795b7e9c1c2b5b4990.jpegThanks really appreciate input.. 

Not sure of the size, sorry. But the originals were not radial tires and had a white wall stripe.

Radial tires are better than the old bias ply tires. A few places still offer white wall tires. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Searsman said:

I have all the rally wheels including the spare for my 71..  but they need tires and I am interested in replacing the tires on them now with something that is close to the original . I may be wrong but I’m not sure they were radials back inthe day and this build sheet says they had a stripe. I’ve included a picture of that section. We’re they white or red  stripped ? And what would be the best brand and type to get now? These would be a second set of tires and rims for the car. American racing wheels on there now..F735E870-5AF5-4943-AA04-B07F66963DAF.thumb.jpeg.41dd51909a31b8795b7e9c1c2b5b4990.jpegThanks really appreciate input.. 

These are the tires that came on my original Monte Carlo.. I don't recall a big selection of tires…  

The SS came with the G70's … My car came with G78's double white lines… Back then tires weren't a big selling feature for the Monte.. I do recall when I switched to radials in the mid to late 70's,,,  I held out in making the switch. I didn't like the feel of the ride and road noise… I felt like my Monte was on ATV tires.. The old bias tire I always felt was smoother on the open road to me,, but the life expectancy was 30,000 miles…

Ed C

1004575111_ScreenShot2022-05-05at3_10_15AM.thumb.png.4e8800296fb17f1f36572584083d4b96.png

Ron . .

Take a look at the Uniroyal Tiger paws ,,, 215/70/15 .. I think that is the conversion number for your G70 stock tires… I first saw them at Kmart.. I put them on my wife's car and they are truly a great tire.

The Tiger Paws were a popular tire back in the day. I was concerned that these were just a cheap imitation,,, but found them to be a great tire.

I could tell the difference immediately.. They were smooth and noticeable quieter.. 

The Uniroyal can be ordered for about a hundred each in the white wall .. I'm currently running the 215/70 Toyo's on my Monte.. Not sure they come in a WW now.. I'll be switching to the Tiger paws in a year or so … 

Ed C

The G7015 tire that came on your car is a 225 - 70 R 15 in a new radial size. I put BF Goodrich red line radials on my Monte . They also make with white walls .It's the best of both worlds looks like a bias ply side wall but is a radial tire. Just the price hurts

KIMG1041.JPG

• Like 6

Yeah, my redline drag radials were not cheap either. Got those from Diamondback tires in S.C.... I'm looking at a pair of cooper tread design redlines(275/60/15), from them. Last year they were over $300 each. OuCH!post-259-0-06116300-1484180397_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Yes G78's were  the original size except when you ordered 7" wheels and then you got G70's because I ordered 7" wheels on my non SS 70 and that was the option for 7" wheels. Ron if you go to Tirerack.com I think they have a conversion chart but I cannot remember for sure. That is where I looked for wheels for my 72 and they were able to bring up a red car and then I could change wheels to decide what I thought looked best.

• Like 2

Kevin , wow, liked those BF Goodrich red lines. They got the rich part of the name right.  Anywhere from 320$ to 707$ A tire . Really nice tho . 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EVC said:

Ron . .

Take a look at the Uniroyal Tiger paws ,,, 215/70/15 .. I think that is the conversion number for your G70 stock tires… I first saw them at Kmart.. I put them on my wife's car and they are truly a great tire.

The Tiger Paws were a popular tire back in the day. I was concerned that these were just a cheap imitation,,, but found them to be a great tire.

I could tell the difference immediately.. They were smooth and noticeable quieter.. 

The Uniroyal can be ordered for about a hundred each in the white wall .. I'm currently running the 215/70 Toyo's on my Monte.. Not sure they come in a WW now.. I'll be switching to the Tiger paws in a year or so … 

Ed C

Ed, those tiger paws are looking good , especially on my wallet, probably go with those , thanks bud .ron

• Like 1

I ordered the rally wheels on my 71 (NON SS) and got Goodyear G70x15 small single WSW.

Later I replaced them with GR70x15 Uni-Royal small single WSW.

Since April 19, 2007 I have had COOPER 225/70R15 small single WSW.

I didn't like the large black letters and found that I could purchase them from DiamondBack tire. We talked on the phone and they said they would grind / sand / polish them all off. Still got them 15 years later!

$89.00 each plus $60.00 shipping.

This picture is of my original spare.IMG_0511.thumb.JPG.a5bbf15223f14a1bce74a6b19d50851a.JPG

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Searsman said:

Ed, those tiger paws are looking good , especially on my wallet, probably go with those , thanks bud .ron

Ron … 

I just ordered 4 for my Monte… I should have ordered them last night … They just went up $5… My current tires are at the half life point and they are 8 years old..

The right front tire was showing some minor alignment wear….  I took her in today, replaced the tie rod ends, and aligned everything.

Can't show up in Ashland driving sideways with worn tires … LOL

About 8 months ago I ordered 4 black walls for my wife's Buick Lacross…. Great looking tire and smooth ride.. I think you'll like them Ron…

Ed C. 

21 hours ago, stangeba said:

I ordered the rally wheels on my 71 (NON SS) and got Goodyear G70x15 small single WSW.

Later I replaced them with GR70x15 Uni-Royal small single WSW.

Since April 19, 2007 I have had COOPER 225/70R15 small single WSW.

I didn't like the large black letters and found that I could purchase them from DiamondBack tire. We talked on the phone and they said they would grind / sand / polish them all off. Still got them 15 years later!

$89.00 each plus $60.00 shipping.

This picture is of my original spare.IMG_0511.thumb.JPG.a5bbf15223f14a1bce74a6b19d50851a.JPG

Having trouble finding cooper 225/70r25 small single wsw. Where can I order them? Ron . 

16 hours ago, EVC said:

Ron … 

I just ordered 4 for my Monte… I should have ordered them last night … They just went up $5… My current tires are at the half life point and they are 8 years old..

The right front tire was showing some minor alignment wear….  I took her in today, replaced the tie rod ends, and aligned everything.

Can't show up in Ashland driving sideways with worn tires … LOL

About 8 months ago I ordered 4 black walls for my wife's Buick Lacross…. Great looking tire and smooth ride.. I think you'll like them Ron…

Ed C. 

Ed, is the 215r70 much smaller than the 225?… no listings for 225 thin line Uniroyal. Thanks Ron .

39 minutes ago, Searsman said:

is the 215r70 much smaller than the 225?… 

225 is about .5" taller and about .4" wider.

This site is real good when trying to figure out tire sizes, comparisons, etc:

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Searsman said:

Ed, is the 215r70 much smaller than the 225?… no listings for 225 thin line Uniroyal. Thanks Ron .

There isn't much at all… Maybe a half inch… the 215r70  and 225 are both almost identical to the G70… In fact,  one article I read said the same thing …. Either one can be considered a replacement for the G70..  

It's sort of a split between the two … I realized that and opted to go with the 215 because I have the taller gearing in my car anyway. It actually brought my speedometer  back to being dead accurate… With the 225's it was a couple of mile off…. White walls in a quality tire are becoming difficult to find..

I've ran the 235s , 225s and I personally like the 215s better.. I have the 700r4 and at 80 I'm doing about 2400rpm… 

IMG_2432.thumb.JPG.ea2d9a00bb6caae4349f9a413d4ac3db.JPG

3 hours ago, Searsman said:

Ron here is a screen shot that shows the two tires side by side… Hope this will help… 

Ed .. 

458726137_ScreenShot2022-05-06at2_49_50PM.thumb.png.da2f4077bcf35192412dc44845ec3f34.png

Ron ,, The 225/75/15 is another option to look at… It's a bit taller and maybe easier to find in a white wall… Here is a comparison.. 

Ed.

273379511_ScreenShot2022-05-06at3_23_06PM.thumb.png.075f9bcf16eef121290fe8069a39c4a5.png

I haven't looked for tires in years.

I know Diamondback https://dbtires.com/product/diamond-back-ss/ can put any size WSW (or red / blue) on just about any tire.

• Like 1

Thanks Bruce ,Ed ,Thomas, joe, Kevin ,Larry, and everyone else. I’m checking out theDiamondback site and all the other tips, when I do put the rally’s on for show, just want them to look as good as yours do.:).. and as close to the original... this has been bunches of help 👍🏻 Have one 🍺 on me ...cheers ,,Ron ...

• Like 3

Wanted the bfgoodrich white lines but the price unfortunately held me back , I do think I found a good ww 5175769D-BA4D-4845-9950-6DEB562EADF3.thumb.jpeg.a41ca5e53cb2ce895c4918e17b44497d.jpegtire tho , Uniroyal that Ed mentioned, regular 300$ plus  on sale for 104$ white line tiger paws , only 215s in stead of 225s. Thanks again for all the input guys. Ron…

Just now, Searsman said:

Thanks Jeff 👍🏻

Whoops! Didn’t realize that was a question. No it is not  available in uniroyal tiger paw white line.. it is in bf Goodrich but runs  a good 350$ a tire.. so I went with the 215 . Speedo will probably be more accurate when I put those on with the rally wheels.. 

• Like 1