Cam replacement.

Tom Carter

ok. the engine is reassembled however I haven't fired it up as of yet. New cam, new heads, new intake, did pull the trigger on the new gear reduction starter, and everything as worked out so far. Clearance issues were not an issue. The air cleaner has plenty of room. Haven't fired it yet because I took the front clip off to replace the body mounts. The good news is that part of the project went very well. Next Sunday brings me to reassembling the front clip as well as the interior parts I took out to gain access to the bolts for the body mounts.  I am just hoping now that the gas prices come back to normal so I put some good miles on without taking out a loan. Again thanks for all the helpful input. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Just curious, why did you have to remove interior parts to get to the body mount bolts. Is there a shortcut I missed?  

Yea Dennis if the nuts spin you cut a slot in the floor to gain access from the top then just fold them back over after.

I was wondering how that was coming along Tom actually almost stopped in to your work today with the monte I have the new hood on and was going right by.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Yea Dennis if the nuts spin you cut a slot in the floor to gain access from the top then just fold them back over after.

I was wondering how that was coming along Tom actually almost stopped in to your work today with the monte I have the new hood on and was going right by.

Ya that doesn’t sound like a shortcut.  

1 minute ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Yea not much but sometimes the only way

Yesterday I had to cut a hole for the rear two on the pos 70. Middle 6 came right out,go figure. I broke all of the front 4. 

I needed to gain access to the spinning nuts under the floor boards. The job actually wasn't that bad. I was able to change them all out in a a day. Of course I already had the fenders off and the seats out so there was time spent prior. Steve I can't wait to see your hood. I was afraid I was going to have to steel it for clearance. I am exited to see how different the ride is with the new mounts. The back mounts under the back seat were completely gone as well as the front ones by the fenders. Should eliminate vibration if nothing else. 

• Like 1

by the way. I was able to replace the cam without removing the block. I did however forget the timing cover seals to the bottom of the oil pan. The oil pan needs to be slightly dropped to get clearance to get the timing chain cover back on properly. Not that doing that was a big problem however I put the sealer and gasket on the cover and tried putting it on for about two minutes before I realized I had my head up my ... and it will not go on that way. ooops 

Angle cut the timing chain cover on each side where the oil pan seal sits and install with a slight push from up top to collapse the rubber seal slightly and whalla! Installed. 

40 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

Angle cut the timing chain cover on each side where the oil pan seal sits and install with a slight push from up top to collapse the rubber seal slightly and whalla! Installed. 

Just remember to put a little extra sealant in the corners after you've installed the cover...... Just in case. ;)

• Like 1

IT'S ALIVE.  Fired the engine for the first time since the modifications. Broke in the new cam. Couldn't take it for a test drove though because I still have the front clip off. Seems to run like a camp in the garage. Should have the fenders and such back on next Sunday...Going to be a long week. Again, thank you to all who helped giving information. 

• Like 2

Sounds like you are going in the right direction. I ran mine for about 30 minutes to see if anything was going to have problems. It's all good after that I hope. Good to see things going your way.post-259-0-93319100-1480263543_thumb.jpg

We always Dyno our engines , therefore if there should be any issues, we can address that before we do the install. 

And we actually know what we have instead of trying to guess what kind of horsepower and torque we should be making.

On 5/11/2022 at 1:44 PM, MC1of80 said:

I have an RPM air gap, 1 inch spacer, Holley 950hp and stock air cleaner (Camaro style on my big block and NO hood clearance issues. 

I had a 350 with performer (no rpm made yet, lol) 4" spacer, Holley 600 and 3" air filter with dropped base under the hood of my 1st Monte Carlo. Back in 86'. Lol

IMG_0124.JPG

Tom, is that an air cleaner for a quadrajet? How did you make that work with the Holley?

I have an RPM air gap, 1 inch spacer, Holley 950hp and stock air cleaner (Camaro style on my big block and NO hood clearance issues. 

I had a 350 with performer (no rpm made yet, lol) 4" spacer, Holley 600 and 3" air filter with dropped base under the hood of my 1st Monte Carlo. Back in 86'. Lol

IMG_0124.JPG

Tom, is that an air cleaner for a quadrajet? How did you make that work with the Holley?

IMG_0124.JPG

31 minutes ago, 70white402 said:

It is a reproduction of the 70-72 Camaro big block air cleaner assy. It is for a Holley carb just like the factory original. 

the air cleaner is actually a pep boys special. Chrome with a spacer so it goes over my Edelbrock av2 carb. I haven't put the good on yet but the top of the air cleaner is below the top of the firewall. 

4 hours ago, Tom Carter said:

the air cleaner is actually a pep boys special. Chrome with a spacer so it goes over my Edelbrock av2 carb. I haven't put the good on yet but the top of the air cleaner is below the top of the firewall. 

But is it below the fenders at that point of the body ?? 

Remember, the hood slopes almost 3" from firewall to front valence. 

Well...not great new. I took the car for a test drive last weekend and now I have very poor oil pressure and (not a surprise) the oil pan is leaking. I am sorry to say I am going to pull the engine out and remove the oil pan and intake. Hopefully the answer will present itself. The good news is I didn't drive it far before I noticed the problem so hopefully the damage is not heavy. Not cool. I did do the cam break in for about a half hour when I first fired it up. I wonder if one of the lifters failed. not sure why that would hurt the oil pressure though. I suspect more of a failure than that. Trying to be optimistic. 

• Sad 2

Have you changed the oil yet? Removed the oil that you broke in the cam with? Sometimes the issue is just changing the oil after a cam swap. The additives dilute the oil. 

• Like 2

Oh yes, if you used any assembly lube on anything, replace the oil filter. Oil pressure up when started, then as you press gas pedal, oil pressure drops, filter is clogged with that lube. Been there, done that. Also,I have replaced oil pan gasket with motor in car. Little more patience, but worked out every time. PM me and I'll give details.

Edited by 420ponies
Added content
  • Like 3