Memorabilia Highway.

EVC

How many of you actually remember this ?  hint …. Esso 1964. 

If you have to google it,,,, you don't remember .. 

I found a few in my car collectable memorabilia… 

Ed C … 

IMG_2570.thumb.JPG.70139237b8a3efcaf6e28752d445e141.JPG

3 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

Put a tiger in your tank! Grrrrrrr. Lol

goes along with Ron's new Tiger Paws… LOL

• 1 month later...

Back in 1963 room rates were $ 15 to 20 per night. …. Gas in the desert was about 35 to 40 cents per gallon, just a few cents over normal, but those few cents were critical when on a budget… 

I recall pulling away from a gas station if it was over 40 Cents. Sometimes I would buy just enough to make to the next major town...

We had a 1960 Pontiac Ventura 4dr Flat top… We paid $1600 for the car in "63 and it had 32000 miles…  Beautiful Car…. This was my favorite of all cars until the 1970 Monte Carlo was introduced… 

Gas wars were common back in the day, and prices were usually about half the rate… 

In 1963,

I worked part time at a Flying A Gas station in Roseville Calif for $1.50 per hour …  Gas was 33.9 for Reg,,,,  37.9 for Ethyl  … Premium was referred to as Ethyl … BTW. even back in 1963 gas in Calif was always above the national average… 

There was no mid grade. I recall that for $1.00 you could get 3.3 gallons  …. A full tank was usually about 6 bucks…  You could also get a new set of Tiger paws mounted and balanced for under $ 100.00. 

Ed..

It pays to look back and remember……   

Let's go with that $1.50 per hour thing for a moment… Now it's $15 per hour…. 

Using that comparison standard for todays cost of gas, those 3.3 Gallons divided into $15.00 , Equals about $4.55 per gallon……

BTW , you can make the same analysis with the cost of a big mac meal… I recall when a Big Mac full meal deal was $1.50….. About 1963… 

$6.00 plus for gas ?????    WHY?????   We can all speculate …. But, I'll say this ,,, "This ain't gonna work for very long."   

Seems like things are going backwards…

Just my humble opinion.. 

Ed C.. 

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Montemedic said:

Neat photos. Ed, your Monte looks right at home outside the Motel. 

She's spent a few nights there and I'm glad she doesn't talk … LOL

Oil Museum in Kilgore Tex.

Great place to stop and spend the day…. … Beautiful full life size walk around displays and presentations.. 

IMG_0029.jpeg

IMG_0023.jpeg

IMG_0008 copy.jpeg

So,,,,

Your car is a classic. ... 

What does that say other than there are millions of classics?

Standing alone a classic car is a cold piece of metal that most of us take great pride in owning and enjoying,  but without a story it's just another classic. 

Cars need a story. Cars are more than objects. They represent the heart and soul of the original and current owners who had the wisdom to buy something of such timeless beauty. The car was part of his or her pride and spoke in many cases about this person. It spoke to their pride and willingness to express themselves in the things they wanted and enjoyed in life.

Cars need a story. Without a story a car often means nothing except maybe an investment or just transportation …..

Just maybe or perhaps a new owner has the same heart and love for this classic that the original owner had.  Most of us are into nostalgia.. Our Monte Carlos take us back to a time we enjoyed, back to a time when life was much simpler. 

Don't let your Monte's story get lost in time…..

We all enjoy our Montes at different levels. Some of us love showing our cars,  others race them and some use them as our daily vehicles. 

So, What is your cars story?  It's really about about the car…. Don't let it be just another classic that was purchased at a car lot that sells classics… 

Our Monte Carlos are works of art and deserve a story. You can be the start of that story…. Enjoy the good fortune of owning a Monte Carlo and don't be afraid of telling the story.

My story starts in the summer of 1970…… Our 4 children and 8 grandchildren learned to drive in a 1970 Monte Carlo… It was a right to passage. 

Ed C

Mine started in the summer of '80.

The first car I ever got to drive was my aunt's burgundy '70 Monte Carlo. It was a base model that had seen it's share of usage, but it was still a thrill. 

When she got married, she decided to sell it, and I wanted to buy it more than anything else.

But my Dad said "No", citing insurance rates for a teenager would be insane. And, sadly, he had a good point. :(

It wasn't until after he passed that I finally got serious about finding one, figured my insurance rates might be a little better by now.... lol.

I've owned several "A/G" bodies over the years.... But this one was my first one. :)

lha16.jpg

• Like 3

Ravages of time took its toll on this once grand old southern home in Lake City Fla.   In her day, She had a warm pot bellied stove in the parlor and  made a statement for the time…  The porch used to wrap around both sides. Upstairs had 9 rooms and the downstairs had 10 with kitchens and two bathrooms on each floor.

The upstairs was accessible by two outside and two interior stairways. Much of the exterior structure is gone along with the huge wrap around covered porches…

It was sort of tradition for the newly weds to live upstairs until they purchased homes and moved to the big city. Usually Jacksonville. The war was on and the ship yards paid well in Jacksonville …. 

My memory of the house is from the 1940 and 50's ….. My Mother and Father were married here in 1939…. My Dad lived across the street when he met Mom. They had just moved to Lake City from southern Georgia.   My Wife and I spent three days of our honeymoon here in 1960 with my grandparents…. Photo taken in 2005…

We returned the next year and the house had been torn down. It was sad to see it in such disrepair and even sadder to see it gone. I recall many family reunions here back my childhood.     

Ed C.

My Monte on lower right,

She's alive and well,,,,,,  and our road queen for cross country trips. Thinking about driving her back…

Maybe visit the family grave yards on both sides of the family. The old Monte has made the trip many many times, so she'll be right at home… Might even stop by the Suwannee River and visit the Stephen Foster Memorial… 

StricklandHome.jpeg.dfdf192d0f6a607c4c93dc191120dc4a.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

For the record ,

Hank has a new baby sister… Her name is Molly,,, 4 mos. old  … She is the back seat dog and loves to travel in the Monte Carlo. She is Hank's Nemesis….. 

Ed C.

365999074_FullSizeRender2.jpeg.fc6856aaff4710acba2023a7f8b8f3a7.jpeg

image.jpeg