Today’s project

Dtret

Dennis nice job!!    However, you should NOT be playing around any kind of wood, you know what happens when you play around wood???   🤯

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, 1970mcss said:

Looks like a whole lot of work. But it looks like the big Chevy helped a bit...

Pulled it right out. Didn’t even spin the tires. 

• Like 1

A guy who burns wood for heat picked up all the cut wood today. The ugly stump went into the neighbors ditch to help control erosion. At least that’s my story. Done. So today I got started on the deck. I decided not to replace all the boards just the ones that are rotten. Gonna rain do I quit for the day. I got a few ripped out but plenty more. Sucks though because they are screwed down but the heads are rusted enough that I can’t drive them back out. So I’m having to break out the boards and pull the screws with a vise grip. Fun stuff. 225 bucks for a 5 gallon pail of deck paint/ stain. Omg 😳 

DD19457A-5DA9-4D59-BF44-5B07BB6363DF.jpeg

081D1F54-D9E4-462F-91BF-7A433A733062.jpeg

• Like 1

That does NOT look like any fun at all to me. I hate doing house type maintenance like that. My condolences

• Like 1

Sucks though because they are screwed down but the heads are rusted enough that I can’t drive them back out Were they Phillips head head, square drive or Torx? My deck boards are installed with square drivew stainless steel screws and com out rather easily. This is one reason I spent the extra Money back in 1999 so I could replace boards if necessary but more than likely won't have because of Menards Trex style decking that was about 2/3rds of the Trerx cost back in the days of yore

• Like 1

They are Phillips head screws. I can’t afford Trex or trex style. There’s way to much deck here for that. 35 bucks for an 8 ft trex board. But I think I’m going to start a little at a time with that. But I’m afraid about half way through they will discontinue what I started with. Lol. I have a ton of curves and I’ll have to figure out how to bend it. 

1 hour ago, jft69z said:

That does NOT look like any fun at all to me. I hate doing house type maintenance like that. My condolences

I don’t mind it. As long as it’s on my time frame. This isn’t. Lol. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dtret said:

They are Phillips head screws. I can’t afford Trex or trex style. There’s way to much deck here for that. 35 bucks for an 8 ft trex board. But I think I’m going to start a little at a time with that. But I’m afraid about half way through they will discontinue what I started with. Lol. I have a ton of curves and I’ll have to figure out how to bend it. 

Dennis,

I went thru this with my deck about ten years ago and was able to save most of the redwood floor boards by using a "saws all " and cutting the screws… I replaced about 12 or 15  of the  bad joists and was able to save the outer expensive beam by doing some patching and treating….  The contractor wanted more than I paid for my home to teardown and replace with 24 centers… I managed to save most of my 16 center joists and still have a better deck than he would have replaced it with. BTW..

Every year I spray the tight areas down below, between the joists and floor boards,  with a few cans of wd40.. No more dry rot in past ten years… It's a 10 by 60 deck and is 43 years old now. Solid as a rock.  Hint,  I also topped the floor joist the some strips of self sticking roofing felt.  Hope this is helps ..

Ed.

IMG_0653.thumb.jpeg.93bbd24bab19d9e5e0a427b0c1046f51.jpeg 

5 hours ago, Glen said:

Just throw some cardboard and/or an area rug over those spots and call it a day. 

You don’t think I tried that?  And once again if looks could kill.  lol 

• Haha 1

Another Saturday project, started the sheet rock install on a small room upstairs over the kitchen that leads into over the garage, yesterday morning while it was cool in there.. making a small bedroom.. carry that upstairs was no easy task for an old man with a bad back.. but somehow I managed.. this is the worst part of this job...17450EFC-1955-4F3E-AC7E-56C2DC052B5D.thumb.jpeg.519375d6c87a623e1350d4442ef9d417.jpegD5C0BE4F-CCC7-47BB-AAB7-741B22FDD4BD.thumb.jpeg.ace20487eee745a9264fb8b0ae7a2fe0.jpeg73273BC2-9278-428C-ADAE-AE9156B9DFDD.thumb.jpeg.0f8087a36c7bb54ef1ed9ecc879a240c.jpegD5C0BE4F-CCC7-47BB-AAB7-741B22FDD4BD.thumb.jpeg.ace20487eee745a9264fb8b0ae7a2fe0.jpeg

• Like 1

On 5/13/2022 at 1:51 PM, Dtret said:

Pictures obviously didn’t load in order. Lol. 

Nice work Dennis, what kind of glue did you use to put the tree back together and throw it in the ditch ? 🤣 🌳 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Searsman said:

Another Saturday project, started the sheet rock install on a small room upstairs over the kitchen that leads into over the garage, yesterday morning while it was cool in there.. making a small bedroom.. carry that upstairs was no easy task for an old man with a bad back.. but somehow I managed.. this is the worst part of this job...17450EFC-1955-4F3E-AC7E-56C2DC052B5D.thumb.jpeg.519375d6c87a623e1350d4442ef9d417.jpegD5C0BE4F-CCC7-47BB-AAB7-741B22FDD4BD.thumb.jpeg.ace20487eee745a9264fb8b0ae7a2fe0.jpeg73273BC2-9278-428C-ADAE-AE9156B9DFDD.thumb.jpeg.0f8087a36c7bb54ef1ed9ecc879a240c.jpegD5C0BE4F-CCC7-47BB-AAB7-741B22FDD4BD.thumb.jpeg.ace20487eee745a9264fb8b0ae7a2fe0.jpeg

I don’t wish that upon anyone. Drywall sucks. I did a monster room upstairs, made a secondary suite for Karen’s parents if they move in here( their old). HVAC, electrical I did all of it myself. EXCEPT, I hired a guy to finish the drywall. He was in and out in 3 days with very little mess. That would have been 6 months of misery for me. Well worth the money. Looks like you’re doing some good work. Keep it up. 👍

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Searsman said:

Nice work Dennis, what kind of glue did you use to put the tree back together and throw it in the ditch ? 🤣 🌳 

Wood glue of course. lol 

3 minutes ago, Dtret said:

I don’t wish that upon anyone. Drywall sucks. I did a monster room upstairs, made a secondary suite for Karen’s parents if they move in here( their old). HVAC, electrical I did all of it myself. EXCEPT, I hired a guy to finish the drywall. He was in and out in 3 days with very little mess. That would have been 6 months of misery for me. Well worth the money. Looks like you’re doing some good work. Keep it up. 👍

Thanks Dennis.. I did the electrical and ran line from other room for hvac.. only part of this I probably won’t do is carpet.. the room leading into this room needs carpet as well and a pro installer can move the furniture 😃...

• Like 2

So she still has me working. Last Monday we had the carpet cleaners coming. So last Sunday I got to gut the living, dining room and office. They came as scheduled did the job and left. A couple hours later she took our little carpet cleaner to suck up some of the moisture in the carpet. She was pi….  Got on the phone with the cleaners and made them come back Tuesday to do it all again. It amazing how much dirt carpet holds. She was a little happier after the second time. Then she gets the bright idea to have all the carpet stretched while the rooms are empty. Wednesday estimated Friday they come out. That’s another 500 bucks I’ll never see again. Looks good though. As they finished a room I moved all the furniture back in. Of course she’s at work the whole time. Spent all yesterday pressure washing sidewalks, driveway, garage doors and carport. The deck is all fixed but can’t stain it due to weather. And to add insult to injury she won a bbq grill at a work raffle. So I had to put that together. This sucks. It’s raining now and I have more pressure washing to do. O ya I got 8 yards of mulch delivered ( another 400 bucks). I have to spread that too. Sorry to put you guys through my misery but I wanted to share the pain. lol. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Sorry to put you guys through my misery but I wanted to share the pain. lol. 

If I had to guess, most guys here are thinking better you, than them, 🤣

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jft69z said:

If I had to guess, most guys here are thinking better you, than them, 🤣

I don’t blame them either. I wouldn’t wish this crap on anyone. lol   You just get your breakfast finished and get out to that welder. 

• Like 1