Battery keeps draining

Mort

I recently installed aftermarket gauges in my 1972 Monte Carlo. I hooked the power for them up to the fuse box. If I don't start the car for 3 or 4 days the battery is drained. The only thing I don't get is the gauges work when the car is off, but the lights in the gauges shut off when the car is off even though they are connected to the same power source. I'm certain that the gauges are draining the battery, but I'm curious why the lights don't stay on with the gauges, and what do you guys think I should do to prevent the battery from getting drained? All help is appreciated.

What kind of gauges (oil, volt, temp)?

What terminal did you hook it up to on the fuse block? They should be hooked to an IGN source, not BAT. No reason they should be working with the key OFF.

Guessing it never drained the battery prior to the installation?

• Like 2

Ditto to what Joe said.  Their pshould should not be "hot" all the time.  Power should come from a connection that Is only hot when the key is on.

rob

So you are saying that the lights and gauges themselves share a power source, and the lights aren't on when the car is off? That is quite odd. Maybe there is something else going on. If you have a meter you can check for power at the gauges with the ignition off. It may not be the gauges draining your battery and the issue just coincidentally started after you installed the gauges. 

• Like 1

How many wires on each gage ? You said they were connected to the same source…. Something is cross wired…. Can you send pics? 

Ed C