finish under cowl

Crom Cruach

If you look at the photo, the part of the body under the hood cowl, in front of the windscreen, is disintegrating. It looks like rubber, not paint. Can anyone tell me what to use to restore this area? is it a paint or a part?

IMG_1878.thumb.jpg.038c26ea76f8de5fc8bd5446e5ccf69a.jpgIMG_1879.thumb.jpg.3c24d4d9b76ce97b01e412c176f3b576.jpg

Paul,

The metal really doesn't look like it is disintegrating.  If I am not mistaken, the metal should be a black satin finish.  Looking at that picture of the passenger side, the rusty metal you are showing being held on with some screws is something a previous owner added, it is not from the factory like that.  If I am not mistaken, the rubber seal is available at some of the normal parts suppliers.

rob

Thank Rob, I'll have a search for the rubber seal.

bit concerned about the 'custom' metal piece! There are no modifications whatsoever that I have found on the car yet - bone stock. what on earth could it be?

The middle picture, with the screwed on plate on the rightside of the pic...that's for a vacuum motor mounting for the HVAC system, unless you're looking at something different than I am.

• Like 1

The part of the cowl under the rubber at both ends that you see in both pictures is where the side cowl panel and the top meet. The factory puts seam sealer to prevent moisture from getting in-between the metal. It was applied and then painted black at the same time as the firewall. 

• Like 4