Bushings & Mounts For shocks & springs replacement

Hi guys, need your advice. I’m on a budget, but I want to replace the shocks with bilstein and the springs with moog. I need to know what bushings, ball joints, rubber, polyurethane etc I need to buy.

as you probably know by now I’m in Ireland so I have to get everything in one clean order to save on shipping and time. Can’t get equivalent parts here except one source in Germany for poly:

https://www.mufflershop.de/Shop/index.php?cPath=49_55_99_971&<osCsid>

When I replace mine again, I will try to go as stock (rubber) as I can. I replaced my entire ft suspension about 32 years ago with urethane bushings. They started to squeak about 6 years later. I would spray them with silicone each year and that helped for a few years but now it's terrible. I don't remember the brand name.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crom Cruach said:

Interesting Bruce. Another case of new not always better than old eh?

But I think that could be said of today’s rubber bushings also. Nothing is made to last 50 years anymore. But I do hear poly bushings do get noisy. At least everyone will hear you coming. 

• Haha 1

If you’re going poly I have no idea. Never used them. Moog or TRW. But you’re paying for the name. Some of “ white box” ones may be the same. See the dilemma here?  Moog has pretty much converted to China, but that doesn’t necessarily mean inferior. They should still be to Moog specs. TRW is made in the USA ( they say). But that doesn’t mean it better. TRW was oe back in the day. Years ago they got completely out of aftermarket and stuck with supplying the oe manufacturers. About 8 years they realized they were missing out on a big piece of the pie so they started selling TRW brands again. A lot of typing that probably didn’t help you a bit. Lol. 

• Haha 1

I have used poly before without an issue. However that may be due to the fact that I try to avoid driving in the rain and it doesn't rain very much where I live. The key is to use the grease supplied liberally. Buy extra if possible. I use Energy Suspension poly bushings.  

• Like 1

Sometimes overthinking something leads to confusion. My opinion is simple, they used rubber bushings from the factory, the car is 50 years old and they need replacing. I see no reason at all why you should not go back with original Rubber bushings  unless of course you plan on holding onto the car for 50 or 60 years then you might have to replace them again.

John S

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, John S said:

Sometimes overthinking something leads to confusion. My opinion is simple, they used rubber bushings from the factory, the car is 50 years old and they need replacing. I see no reason at all why you should not go back with original Rubber bushings  unless of course you plan on holding onto the car for 50 or 60 years then you might have to replace them again.

John S

I agree totally with you. But, there’s always a but, the big question is. Is the quality the same as it was 50 years ago. Parts are made to fail now days, they have a life span. Back in the day when  parts were made the generally lasted. Not so much today. There also weren’t options good, better, best. You got what they had. And it was usually good quality. I don’t mind putting aftermarket “wear item “ parts on my cars. But finding quality parts for a reasonable price is a project now days. 

Anyone know if First Gen Monte bushings and the same as 2nd gen Monte's?

56 minutes ago, stangeba said:

Anyone know if First Gen Monte bushings and the same as 2nd gen Monte's?

I’d be more than unhappy ( lol) to go through all my catalog boxes to find my book. But I’ll do if you really need me to. Just out of curiosity did you check Rock?  Let me know. 

13 hours ago, Crom Cruach said:

Hi guys, need your advice. I’m on a budget, but I want to replace the shocks with bilstein and the springs with moog. I need to know what bushings, ball joints, rubber, polyurethane etc I need to buy.

as you probably know by now I’m in Ireland so I have to get everything in one clean order to save on shipping and time. Can’t get equivalent parts here except one source in Germany for poly:

https://www.mufflershop.de/Shop/index.php?cPath=49_55_99_971&<osCsid>

Check Rock auto. You may not want some of the parts but they have decent catalog for looking up parts. Then you can use their part numbers to find your best source for all of it together. 

Yeah rock’s website is great. Not pretty, but great! I think you nailed it Dennis, there’s cheap modern tat, then there’s way overpriced brand name but quality stuff. The middle ground is what I’m after and it’s hard to find sometimes. 

it’s like power tools. I do some woodwork. Festool are beautiful tools but silly expensive, but with the generic stuff you might as well burn your money. Bosch are good solid tools, the pro line still made in Germany. 

1 minute ago, Scott S. said:

When I replaced the differential with a 12 bolt, I got my urethane bushings and shims from Amazon.... 

Are you looking to replace the control arm bushings as well ?

Hi Scott, I’m guessing a lot of the parts are 50 yo so I want to replace anything worn out. 

My list so far is: shocks & springs, bushings (upper/lower control arms and anti-sway bar), ball joints, tie rod ends, travel stop bumpers and the idler arm. 

I guess I’m hoping to get them in a kit, instead of looking for them one by one. I don’t know anything about the parts or the brands so yeah I’m over thinking it. Interested to hear what you guys bought 

3 minutes ago, Crom Cruach said:

Hi Scott, I’m guessing a lot of the parts are 50 yo so I want to replace anything worn out. 

My list so far is: shocks & springs, bushings (upper/lower control arms and anti-sway bar), ball joints, tie rod ends, travel stop bumpers and the idler arm. 

I guess I’m hoping to get them in a kit, instead of looking for them one by one. I don’t know anything about the parts or the brands so yeah I’m over thinking it. Interested to hear what you guys bought 

I got upper and lower rear control arm bushings, top and bottom rear spring shims, front sway bar bushings and connecting bushings...... 

Some were Moog, some were Performance (?)... 

The nice thing about Amazon is the free shipping if you buy more than the minimum or have Prime. Not sure if it's the same on the Island. ;)

Just now, Scott S. said:

I got upper and lower rear control arm bushings, top and bottom rear spring shims, front sway bar bushings and connecting bushings...... 

Some were Moog, some were Performance (?)... 

The nice thing about Amazon is the free shipping if you buy more than the minimum or have Prime. Not sure if it's the same on the Island. ;)

Stabilizer link bushings too.....

Rockauto.com has a nice breakdown of part numbers and its easy to use for researching.

For what it's worth, check out Ground Up. They sell alot of parts in kit form. I have gotten alot of parts for many a Monte from them. 70-72 Chevelle parts are the same as far as suspension and mechanical. 

As for the Bilstein shocks in classic cars, never liked the ride. Too harsh. I prefer a gas charged shock like a Monroe. Ground up even sells a shock kit with installation hardware and a can of grey paint to paint them like the originals. Lol

• Like 1