Non-tilt Steering Column Installation

Clover The Monte now runs pretty decently, but one problem has been vexing me:

To replace the blinker switch, the previous owner dropped the column. However, he left it there for 25 years... and lost the bolts.

Typical bull on this ragged old girl, but nevertheless

How do I remount it? What size of bolts, what type of thread would go into such a thing? I want to remount the column, so I can shift my car into drive without the whole column slopping around.

What are you missing?? Any pictures?? I thought the bolts were there and you only need the nuts. I have extra nuts if you need them. I also have an extra non- tilt column.

20220606_203026.thumb.jpg.43d49a14c0faa22ea2405f7ae35f4bad.jpg

18 hours ago, 420ponies said:

3/8 " 16 thread with washer on  nut. That will install it to the steering column bracket.Tractor supply should have it.post-259-0-93319100-1480263543_thumb.jpg

Thanks! It's mounted now, but still slops around side-to-side in the mounting. I've attached a photo of one of the threads in the bottom.of the column. A bolt would probably go through the mounting into the column here to secure the whole thing.

Do you know what size bolt this is?

Edited by CloverThe72
The image didn't attach the first time.

11 minutes ago, Scott S. said:

I believe it's also 3/8" #16 thread.... 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" long ????

I'll give it a shot! Btw, love your Mad Max Monte. Was thinking of turning Clover into the Nightrider's interceptor.

LOL !!!

I can't even remember where I found that photo..... There's a club that re-creates cars and head out to the desert for some rallying. 

Not sure I'm ready to take Montelishi to that stage just yet though. 

Quick update!

The mounting bolts and nuts were 3/8 fine thread. But the four steadying bolts that keep the column from slipping side to side are not.

The good news is, while rummaging through Clover's disgusting interior (the car sat in a field for 25 years), I found a bolt which threads into the column perfectly.

20220609_080435.thumb.jpg.f38ea3bc0f3f0b36691c217592300515.jpg

I still don't know what size it is, but I will take it to Ace and compare threads to find four new replacements. I graduate from community college tomorrow and I'll be celebrating through the weekend so I'll get back to this next week.

Thanks for all the help so far!

• Like 1