Hose routing question

TheBMan

I've never liked the way the A/C hose lays across the top of the alternator with a piece of foam to protect against wear from rubbing. I've seen others do it differently and was wondering if anyone knew for sure the way it was when new? Attached is an image with my engine on the left and a different engine (big block) where the A/C hose runs through the clamp typically used for the heater hoses. I like this set up better but I'd like to do whatever was original. Anybody have any ideas? I've scoured the internet for images but it's hard to tell what's original and what's not. 🤷‍♂️

hoses.jpg

Do you have a factory assembly manual? Section 1 shows heater & A/C hose routing.

I have a link to a manual here somewhere. The file is too big to just drop as an attachment.

EDIT: Here is a link to a 72 Assembly manual.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!Akx6H-ABrxUbzEIfJuE5p4QP_VgW?e=ngJyvs

Here are a few pics of "Barn Find" my 71 402 Monte. The last pic is the day it first saw daylight after 34yr slumber. Hope they help. 

PXL_20201128_195026534.jpg

PXL_20201128_195243126.jpg

IMG_0425.thumb.JPG.08c916cdedd65ce1fe885f9488676f06.JPG

48 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Do you have a factory assembly manual? Section 1 shows heater & A/C hose routing.

I have a link to a manual here somewhere. The file is too big to just drop as an attachment.

EDIT: Here is a link to a 72 Assembly manual.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!Akx6H-ABrxUbzEIfJuE5p4QP_VgW?e=ngJyvs

Thanks for this @jft69z. You reminded me that you gave me the assembly manual quite a while ago. I didn't occur to me that it would show the routing. It's not completely clear but I would say it goes over top of the alternator.

Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 6.54.53 PM.jpg

26 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

Here are a few pics of "Barn Find" my 71 402 Monte. The last pic is the day it first saw daylight after 34yr slumber. Hope they help. 

PXL_20201128_195026534.jpg

PXL_20201128_195243126.jpg

IMG_0425.thumb.JPG.08c916cdedd65ce1fe885f9488676f06.JPG

Thanks @MC1of80, after looking at the assembly manual, I would say this is correct! I appreciate it!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheBMan said:

Thanks for this @jft69z. You reminded me that you gave me the assembly manual quite a while ago. I didn't occur to me that it would show the routing. It's not completely clear but I would say it goes over top of the alternator.

Go a little deeper in the book and look for pages 1A2J-sheet 6, 1A2H -sheet 1, 1A2L - sheets 1 &2. Those show it a little better. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 1970mcss said:

Do they sell that foam piece or can that be bought at a big box store?

@1970mcss I use tubular pipe insulation and bought it at Lowes. It comes in a few sizes (internal diameter) and lengths that are pretty long (6ft I think). I use a super fine hacksaw blade (just the blade, not in the saw) to very slowly cut to the length I want. I basically let the weight of the blade make its way through the foam using slow, even strokes. If you try to cut too fast, it will tear at the foam and give a rough looking cut/end.

I think I ordered it off the net.  The local parts stores used to carry them. But not so much now. It’s black. I measured the hole on the air cleaner and manifold shield and ordered the size that was the largest. I cut it a little longer then required so when you tighten down the air cleaner it tightened the hose. Works good. If I remember correctly it was a Dorman product. 

• Like 1

I forgot to add. I also spray painted the hose insulation semi-gloss black. It took out a bunch of the holes in the insulation. Looks better too. Actually I think that picture was my first rendition. I did a second one that looks better. 

• Like 1