but won’t come out of gear

Hi folks,

Just took the Monte out for a ride after doing a variety of work (mainly ignition system but also an oil change); had been doing slow speed in town today with no issues, but tonight was showing the car off to some friends so got it up to 55ish with high rpm’s (aka punching it) and noticed the engine was running very high and was hard to slow down. It seemed like it wasn’t backing down on the gears after I got up to third. Even when I slowed down it revved high and taking my foot off the brake it would drive as if I’d had the throttle held. It took a lot of pressure to ensure that the car wouldn’t move forward while trying to slowly park back in the garage.

Any ideas on what I should start taking a look at or likely culprits?

Thanks,

David

Check the spring on the throttle, throttle cable may be hanging up frayed inside the sleeve, stupid as this sounds- did you check the floor mat( ask me how I know that). 

• Like 7

Also, some carb linkage could have come loose when you put the pedal to the metal ,not allowing throttle to disengage... especially since you were doing ignition work close to that area.. some to check ....

• Like 1

Grit in the carb might do this too..... I'd been driving on a lot of dusty roads in a work truck years ago, and when I got back to the highway and opened up on the throttle, it stuck and scared the s*** out of me. Had to shut it down in neutral to get control of it. 

Cleaned up the carb, but it was never the same after that. :(

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dtret said:

Check the spring on the throttle, throttle cable may be hanging up frayed inside the sleeve, stupid as this sounds- did you check the floor mat( ask me how I know that). 

I agree with  Dennis…

This spring on mine was reversed during some routine maintenance and was periodically hanging up on the idle adjustment screw to the left. Naturally it wasn't his fault,,, so I took it back and showed him. I simply flipped the spring over and problem solved ….  Hope your problem is as simple as that. 

Ed c. 

IMG_2707.thumb.JPG.ebff386c670511b86aaaf42c305d9f4b.JPG

Here is a wide view of things as they stand  the top piece appears to be the throttle cable and the second green linkage is what the spring is attached to  I am not sure what that is however. (There is a manual choke on the other side and that also feels to be a little stuck, though I wasn’t messing with the carb directly.)AC189416-8309-4293-9399-930B107DAE52.thumb.jpeg.2eefd9762c3942b1722376c9b41e2ac0.jpeg

One thing I notice is that the spring seems to get caught on some piece of the linkage when it is pulled all the way in. I assume there should be some better clearance there? Could be that was what happened if the spring actually got stuck I suppose.

2E538FEC-0310-45DB-B6E9-27693A6A7B76.thumb.jpeg.cb8436f4dff5eb9e8b38f3de25c0263e.jpeg

Also it appears that the this cable plastic piece has broken somewhat:

A0C88B34-D961-404C-B7B6-2FD10CE1A45B.thumb.jpeg.48f4966f053e19a454a10b4d73e41ada.jpeg
Well, whatever that mystery cable is. In any case that being broken is probably bad. Any help in identifying that part?

Thanks,

David

That mystery cable is your tranny throttle position cable. (Kick down cable) Your spring looks like it's definitely hanging up .. I placed my spring on the front. I'll send another pic to show how it's hooked up …. I'm hoping someone else can help you on the TPS cable,,, but it looks out of adjustment or broken from your photo.

Ed

David.. here is my set up with Edlebrock and a 700r4 tranny.. Looks like that spring is your problem.. Your kick down cable looks broken too. 

Ed. 

IMG_2712.JPG.a1b97956efb29ec8b7dae60960586f25.JPGIMG_2713.JPG.ee479642a3638a255297a7cbffc19e97.JPG

David 

On second look at that kick down cable (green).. It looks broken to me. This is a big part of the problem or part of it now and may account for the reason it wouldn't shift back ...

Ed

David 

From the photo , the geometry may be wrong for the arm on the carb…

Edlebrock may have a throttle arm kit that you can order.

The Edlebrock arm,  like I have on mine is the proper geometry for my 700r4… I think it's ordered transmission specific… 

Ed.. 

Kick down cable is obviously broken. That is not the issue for the original problem. 

Reposition the return spring to where there is NO interference with the throttle linkage. 

PEOPLE! Install 2 return springs! If and or when one breaks, you will not have a stuck open throttle. A little insurance. 

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

Kick down cable is obviously broken. That is not the issue for the original problem. 

Reposition the return spring to where there is NO interference with the throttle linkage. 

PEOPLE! Install 2 return springs! If and or when one breaks, you will not have a stuck open throttle. A little insurance. 

PEOPLE …. ?  Thanks for the insight Tom … 

Take the back of the spring, by the coil , and put it in the small hole on the same bracket it’s already attached to. Take the front of the spring, by the throttle linkage, and put it in the lower hole on the linkage. After it’s hooked up, car not running, about the throttle linkage and make sure it snaps back to huddle closed position. You may need a different spring to accomplish this, and yes double spring it, gm did it that way for a reason. Also remove the kick down cable (green one) from the throttle linkage for this test. As it currently sits that spring is messing with the linkage. I’m going now, I have to go find my other spring. Lol. I only have one and I know better then that. Thanks for the reminder Tom. Another thing to do before Carlisle. 

• Like 1

Lucky for me I get to blame the last guy who owned it. Unlucky for me I get to clean up his messes. (Lucky for me this time I’m not the last guy.) Will see about adding the proper springs in the proper places. Is there some variety pack of springs and what kind of tension should you feel when it’s in the pulled back state?

• Like 1

Most of the parts stores will carry a double spring set, or used to. The spring feel is going to be up to you. The gas pedal will tell you. Some people like a hard pushing pedal, some don’t. I like a easy pushing pedal. 

• Like 1

I'll be changing mine out too…. I found some double springs on Amazon last night , but will go to a local store to make sure of the size… Dorman has a nice collection. 

Ed 

3 hours ago, Lawrence71 said:

Dumb question: since this is an aftermarket carb will what the parts stores have in their computer even be relevant?

They should have a hanger board in the showroom. Just look for the springs. Remember if it’s not in the computer they don’t have it. 

Spring tension is a matter of preference...... As long as it's got a close length,(depending on which configuration you use), the feel of the pedal resistance will /can be what makes you decide what you like.

P.S. The more springs you add, the more the resistance as well.

Agreed..... If you're going the factory stock way.

But with all the aftermarket versions and having multiple settings on these pieces, it becomes a matter of finding what feels comfortable.