Wiper "click" but no action when move switch

jahroy72

I have a 1972 Monte Carlo and when I turn the wiper switch on I hear a click under the hood near the wiper motor.  Just one click as if a solenoid was going off.  If I cycle the switch back and forth I keep getting the single click with no wiper operation.  Any ideas?

I kinda copy/pasted the problem description from some other guy on some other Monte site who appears to be having the same issue I am - hope he don't mind.  He didn't have any response to his request so thought I would try here.

Thanks.

Time for a rebuild or replacement.... The actuating cam has probably worn out, (usually a cream coloured wheel about 1 1/2" in diameter) and isn't activating any of the wiper motor functions.

Luckily it's a fairly generic part from G.M., so finding one, (a motor) should be easy enough. Just remember to keep the original works that hook to the motor, as every car has it's own geometry for operating. :)

Yeah, I was thinking about doing the the same thing (replace entire motor).

I had a heck of a time getting the 3-contact motor connector off.  When I looked at the backside of the motor after I got it off I noticed the broken resistor.   I may have broken the resistor trying to get the connector loose...

Has anyone replaced the resistor and/or relay in one of these motor assemblies?  Can a guy still even get the parts?  I did a quick internet look and didn't find anything.  I'll still probably replace the whole thing but just out of curiosity may look at trying to repair this one "in my free time" (in other words may end up in a box in the garage...forever).

broken resistor_1sml.jpg

motor front_1sml.jpg

broken resistor_3sml.jpg