Outer wheel house position

TommySS454

Looking  for some advice here. I'm test fitting the rear quarter and wheel houses. The outer wheel house lip is not mating up with the quarter lip. How much space do you guys have? I'm guessing my wheel house lip is a half inch above the quarter panel lip. The passenger side is factory and has about a quarter inch of space. What's acceptable and normal here?  Thanks

I see the problem. 

It’s the “MADE IN TAIWAN” part of your quarter panel. 

Not trying to be a JO, but aftermarket parts suck. I know OE sheet-metal for our Montes is few and far between and expensive when located, but it’s usually well worth it in the grand scheme of things.

I even paid for an original Ford front bumper cover for my ‘08 Crown Vic. I wanted it to fit right, didn’t mind paying a little bit more for it.

Good luck to ya. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just got done dealing with this. I am no expert so take everything with a grain of salt. I had AMD outer wheel well and amd quarter, same side of the car. I was initially having the same problem. Do you have the wheel well welded in yet? If you can still move things around it obviously helps a lot. How is the quarter hanging? Do all body lines match up etc? Part of my problem was the quarter wasn't quite hanging right. One of my other issues was not prepping between removing my old and installing my new good enough. Small burs or bends/imperfections along the mating surfaces etc can really make it difficult to slide the pieces into the place they need to be. I had some junking near the rocker panels where the front of the wheel well slides into. I basically couldnt rotate the wheel well counter clockwise enough, which because of the shape of the wheel arch threw everything off enough to not match up. That being said, there WILL be a small gap in some places along the wheel well/quarter lip. There well also be places where it meets up 100%. Take your time, check everything a bunch of times. I probably hung and rehung my quarter several dozen times...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally got the gap closed up and the wheel houses are welded in. The quarter is 95% welded on except the rear and around the rear window. Going to get the rear window filler panel put in before I button that up. I ended up removing about a quarter inch section of the front of the outer wheel house where it meets the rocker panel. That allowed me to rotate the wheel house slightly. That helped the gap. After that it was lots of test fitting and using clamps to get it in position. Im pretty happy with it.

I talked to a body man that has worked on several A-bodies over the years and he says the wheel houses didnt fit very good straight from the factory. Ill try to get some pictures up.

20220730_145530.jpg

20220711_205411.jpg

20220705_162355.jpg

Edited by TommySS454
Pictures
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...