how to get led turn signals to work

I tried using the search bar but nothing came up.  I put in the Led Tail lights and changed the front marker lights to LED bulbs and now none of the turn signals will flash.  I ordered 2 of the no load flashers and tried them but it still wont flash. any ideas? 

For a start, You might consider disconnecting the tail lights and use a small 9 volt battery to test the LED lights. If you have the lights most of us purchased it will test the lights and do no harm…   My instructions warned "Don't use 12 volts to do this test " .. I tested my lights with the 9 volt battery before installation. I was able to determine if both brake/flasher and running lights worked….

Like Mark said, "They are polar sensitive".  In fact, this may be the problem… 

Ed C. 

Ed 

Ok, who did you buy them from, 1 do they have a number to call for help/issues? and 2 if someone here has installed them before they might be able to help. I installed mine on my 70, no issues and didn't have to change flashers. Did you use a pigtail for the 1157 socket or did you hardwire? 

First thing I would do is pull out the LED marker lights you installed, that's just a guess from me. In your IP/dash, when you turn the turn signal or hazards do the indicators blink, steady, or nothing?

And just throwing this out there, on my blue oval car, both the new hazard and turn signal flasher can was polarity sensitive, I had to reverse the leads. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 7/9/2022 at 11:58 AM, DragCat said:

And just throwing this out there, on my blue oval car, both the new hazard and turn signal flasher can was polarity sensitive, I had to reverse the leads. 

Came across this as I'm researching LED's for my new to me '72. 

I had the same issue on my '64 Valiant convertible, had to switch tne leads on the flasher, works like a charm!

• Like 1

Well, I put 1157 running and turn signal LEDs in mine along with the electronic flashers with a ground wire. Turn signals and hazards flash fine until I turn on the running lights/headlights, then they stop flashing, though the flashers are clicking and the dash indicators glow at 1/2 strength.

I tried switching the leads on the flashers, that didn't work.

ANy ideas?

I would agree with Scott in the first step, possible ground issue. Did you get any trouble shooting tips with your instructions? I think there may be 3 suppliers of the kits, not sure if they are all from the same manufacturer. I'm going to assume you went with the pig tail also in the rear tail lights. My instructions came with a specific note on what flasher can to use and which one not to. Also my instructions were for a 70 to 72. On my 70 I didn't have to replace the flasher cans or any other bulbs and I only did the tail lights. 

That being said, and comparing apples to oranges 🤣 on my 73 blue oval car, when I went with the LED tail lights I had to also change out the 1157 front turn signal bulbs to LED. I also changed the side marker bulbs to LED, don't remember if that was a requirement. My buddy ordered the same kit as me except for his 69 Camaro, he did have to change the flashers. Since he only drag races I doubt he's ever used the hazard or turn signals with the headlights on so no help there ☹️

Just throwing a bunch of stuff out there 

• Like 1

I used the same process on the MC as I did on my '64 Valiant and '37 Pontiac.

On those two I bought 1157 bulbs from superbright LEDs, and used the same flashers from Amazon, CEC 2 prong with a ground wire.

On the MC I used the same flashers but bought 1157's from Amazon. 

Looking at the Superbright products, the have a slightly higher wattage draw than the Amazons.

I did add an additional 4 ga, ground strap to the frame,and one to the firewall. No change.

But..........with my head under the dash listening to the flashers click in both hazard and turn modes I pulled the lights on and the flasher started "stuttering", like they weren't latching, or like a starter solenoid when the battery is low. 

Hmmm, not enough draw? I'm going to tap in an incandescent bulb to each side tomorrow and see if that helps. 

I'll have to look under the dash to see where the harness is grounded and clean that connection. Any clue as to that location?

Another thought. I havent looked, but does the firewall bulkhead connection unplug? Maybe that needs to be cleaned.........

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BobW said:

Well, I put 1157 running and turn signal LEDs in mine along with the electronic flashers with a ground wire.

I'm wondering why you have a ground strap on the flashers? Maybe someone who had to change theirs can explain. 

I did a quick search on the superbrightled website and their flashers are 2 prong, no mention of a ground strap. 

On the unit I installed the notes say do not use a heavy duty flasher. 

Again just throwing out ideas, since it seems your doing something different than I did 

My theory regarding insufficient load was correct. I replaced the incandescent amber bulbs in the front and now everything flashes as it should. I'm going to order load resistors for the front signals rather than tie in additional sockets under the hood.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DragCat said:

I'm wondering why you have a ground strap on the flashers?

I think they were recommended to me on another Hot Rod forum at the time. They worked fine on the other vehicles, and now are working on the MC!

• Like 2