engine pressure wash safely and paint prep

Yeah, if you're planning to properly address it in a few months anyways, it's not a terrible plan to at least let you enjoy the rest of the summer.

Like Dennis said, just keep an eye out for leaks and fluid levels. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Andy's Auto said:

I kinda like the " I actually drive my car" look you have. 

Haha thanks Andy, it's 'authentic'! Soon to be tidied up a bit though, just a little less rust and I'll be happy.

Folks, is it possible to replace the freeze plugs without pulling the block? Can I remove the motor mounts one side at a time and get at the side ones? How about the back? I'm changing trans fluid & gaskets anyway maybe the time to get at them?

Also, would you go poly or rubber for replacement motor mounts? Do I have the early style "tall and narrow" mounts? 1972 sbc.

Hey Paul,

You actually have to separate the engine and transmission and remove the flywheel to get at the frost plugs at the back of the block. It's just easier to do them all at once when you rebuild the engine.

As for the motor mounts, that's a matter of personal preference, but going to the poly mounts will send more engine vibration into the frame. Poly is more for racing when you're trying to get every foot pound of torque to the ground. Stick with the rubber would be my advice. ;)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Canuck said:

This was my engine 2 years ago today.

17EED527-3E9D-4286-B535-4F9503711F4E.jpeg

A68A3048-1258-4275-801B-42AA5AA0D790.jpeg

Love it. I have a new water pump - is there any wisdom in painting before it goes on? Should I paint behind it (looks painted already). Also, what paint did you use for the black engine parts - pulleys, brackets etc. I have an acrylic enamel 80% gloss and I hope it’s tough enough. I have 30% gloss polyurethane enamel for the chassis parts.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Crom Cruach said:

Love it. I have a new water pump - is there any wisdom in painting before it goes on? Should I paint behind it (looks painted already). Also, what paint did you use for the black engine parts - pulleys, brackets etc. I have an acrylic enamel 80% gloss and I hope it’s tough enough. I have 30% gloss polyurethane enamel for the chassis parts.

I typically will paint the water pump first since there are some angles that are hard to get to after it is on the engine. I just used semi gloss black spray paint for the brackets, pulleys, etc.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Got the engine bay and some of the chassis parts sanded, primed and painted. I used POR-15 for parts I couldn’t remove enough rust from, and zinc 182 primer on bare metal and over some existing paint. Final coat in 30% gloss urethane enamel. Just 1k in a rattle can. Pretty Pleased with the result!

EB78C65C-7B1F-4308-AE4C-46EE8358A578.thumb.jpeg.c163fba59921403b948b5933bae85a11.jpeg

1B874CB9-A759-4E94-97B3-1FCF0DFB4E06.thumb.jpeg.aa536ff701fd91f279500f1266d77607.jpeg

5025666F-37ED-47A7-89BA-01E04020E0BE.thumb.jpeg.50b4e3d0fa6935af0e22d8a0e1e3508d.jpeg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Dtret said:

Looks good. On another note, where are you getting, what did you call it? NEWSPAPER. LOL. I didn’t think anyone even got them anymore. 

Haha my pops still reads the paper every day. A lot of people still read them here. Handy for painting!

Looks real good Paul!!!   Don't know what the weather is like over there, but to me you should be out and about when you can. Alot of work for the summer!!???

As far as the newspapers go, a lot of people here still get them. Every other Wed is paper recycling day, so i would borrow from neighbors if i had to!!!  lol

• Like 1

Thanks Willie. When I got the radiator re-cored I thought it’s just a few more parts to remove / snowball! We have 90 degrees here today, unusually hot for august, great weather for painting. Nearly ready to start assembling, can’t wait to drive her again  

24E50AA0-E61F-4979-A1E2-2D797929A630.thumb.jpeg.521652fcbddde81393971e638f6f9d54.jpeg

• Like 4