Original owner 72 Custom at weekly cruise night

Saw this great 72 Custom tonight at a weekly spot that usually gets 5-600 cars. He approached me near my car at the time, mentioned he had one there, so we went to look at it.

I was pleasantly surprised to see it was a Custom as well, plus the fact he ordered it new was just outstanding! He had all intentions of joining the club recently to meet us at Carlisle this year, but an A/C problem in the car squashed that idea (happy wife, happy life).

Beautiful car Jerry, here's hoping you join us next year at Carlisle, and to seeing you the rest of the summer here, locally.

20220711_181953.jpg

20220711_182027.jpg

20220711_182054.jpg

• Like 6

Just now, MC1of80 said:

Very nice custom! I hope he joins this fantastic club! 

I told him the pics will be on the forum as soon as I got home. He plans to join very soon, and if he drags his heels...I have his number 🤣

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, jft69z said:

I told him the pics will be on the forum as soon as I got home. He plans to join very soon, and if he drags his heels...I have his number 🤣

Did you give him a club card?  That’s a nice looking car. 

3 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Did you give him a club card?  That’s a nice looking car. 

Didn't need to, he has already been on the site looking around. But, I did give one to another great guy who was a past first gen owner, looking to get back into one. I think I talked him into joining & also coming to Carlisle next year. I spoke to him late last year & a few times this year already. He & his wife are just wonderful people.

Just amazing the number of great people I've met since getting this last Monte.

• Like 4

Just now, Dtret said:

It’s a good car click. With as many Montes that were sold most people either had one or knew someone that did and have a story to tell. 

No doubt, I hear it pretty much every night, multiple times, when I'm at one of those things.

What was done to the engine? Replacement or only the heads? I ask because I see center bolt valve covers. 

The car reminded me alot of my "Barn Find" just alot nicer and a year newer! Same color combo, silver/black interior. Bench seat, column shift, power windows, gauges, PO2 hubcaps. 

6 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

What was done to the engine? Replacement or only the heads? I ask because I see center bolt valve covers. 

The original engine gave up after 250,000 miles I think he said. Put in one of the first GM ZZ1 crate engines to replace it.

1 hour ago, MC1of80 said:

250,000 miles +?!?!? Holy cow! That car is in great shape!!! The stories the owner and if the car could speak could tell! 

It's been painted & restored, though I don't know the timeframe. Interior is all original too. He ordered it with the rear load leveler, has the air compressor in the trunk currently, as well.

• Like 2

Well, here goes. Reply to your comments. Thanks first to Joe jft69z for encouragement. Helps to have friends in high places.

Bought car new as multi purpose family car plus ability to tow trailer. Kept for 50 yrs, so all original components saved if replaced. The engine got tired at 220k in around '84. I wanted to rebuild it, but my local motorhead pals suggested a cheaper fix. The new ZZ1 had just become available. Note that Chevy Tonawanda engine plant is in my back yard. We installed the ZZ1 (was the Corvette 350) and I still have the original but tired 350. Never been apart, and matching numbers for those who care.

Thanks for asking, as I have been waiting for years to tell that story.

Jerry B

• Like 7

Well Jerry, you've come to the right place to share your stories & pictures. This group likes pictures, lots of pictures! Also the nicest and most helpful bunch of people you'll find on the planet, bar none. Don't ever hesitate to ask questions or provide info either, this group will never give you grief or problems....well, except for a couple of troublemakers....😁

• Like 2

Jerry, very Nice Monte you have there.  We hope you like what you see here and decide to become a full fledged dyes paying member of the club.

rob

Welcome Jerry. I was texting Joe privately about your car because I didn’t want to be one of those trouble makers. Lol. Beautiful car. I’m glad you still have the car and the original parts. Great stories from the folks who originally bought them and still have them. I believe there are a few others in the group in that position. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dtret said:

....because I didn’t want to be one of those trouble makers. Lol. ......

Uhhhhhhh ....Alrighty then... nice try...

😜🤣

I'd also like to congratulate Jerry on becoming a full dues paying member!

Your membership status has been updated as well, Thank you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jft69z said:

I'd also like to congratulate Jerry on becoming a full dues paying member!

Your membership status has been updated as well, Thank you!

Sweet! Welcome Jerry! 

54 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Someone give that man a dancing banana. 

No, we save that honor just for you...

• Haha 1

Welcome Jerry!!!   Beautiful car and 225k+. Something to be proud of!!!   And as far as dancing bananas, Dennis is sleeping on the job (as usual). But i have to help him out its pretty normal. I do it all the time.   

Jerry Welcome and the car is beautiful :yay::yay::yay:

Come on Dennis you are late again!!!