Gas Smell after driving

All, My car smells like raw gas after I drive the car. I don't see any leaks near the carb or under the car. I doesn't have a canister. The gas cap looks original. Any idea what to look for??

2 hours ago, 1970mcss said:

Would that also give me less pressure at the carb and make the car not run right?? Idle and so on??

No. A fuel pump can do that. Check and see that the fuel pump is not leaking. That can give you a gas smell also, obviously.

Also check your oil for fuel dilution. The pump, if leaking, can leak fuel into the oil also diluting it. 

Just curious, but does the smell seem to be coming from the exhaust pipes ??

If so, it could just be in need of a tune up.

And keep in mind, with higher temps this summer, gas will find ways to escape anywhere. 

1 hour ago, Scott S. said:

Just curious, but does the smell seem to be coming from the exhaust pipes ??

If so, it could just be in need of a tune up.

And keep in mind, with higher temps this summer, gas will find ways to escape anywhere. 

No, it seems to be after a drive I can go in the garage and it smalls like raw gas. I look at the carb and manifold and everything looks fine.

3 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

No. A fuel pump can do that. Check and see that the fuel pump is not leaking. That can give you a gas smell also, obviously.

Also check your oil for fuel dilution. The pump, if leaking, can leak fuel into the oil also diluting it. 

Fuel pump is new, but I will check and check the oil.

Did you eat at Taco Bell?

Just kidding

My 70 has a gas odor as well at the rear of the car after driving and thought it was likely due to the vented cap that 1970 had (71 and 72 uses a non-vented cap). On my 72 years ago I smelled a pretty strong fuel smell and determined one of the short rubber lines at the gas tank was leaking. I replaced them all and it was fixed. Likely would not hurt to replace them anyway if original and its cheap.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My 71 all stock 350 4bbl has this problem also. It has done this for years, perhaps forever, and I believe it is the gasoline evaporating from the carb. Once the engine is cool, the smell is gone. I replaced all the rubber hoses and that did not help any.

Paul you do not have to drop the tank.   Long needle nose and a razor.   Just a heads up and maybe someone else can confirm this later, but one of the hoses has a little plastic piece in it to I think reduce the flow of fuel in that direction. So if you find it in the hose make sure you put it back the same direction it came out.   

IMG_0369-001.thumb.JPG.8109192e681283ed25093cd74df4e782.JPGThe small plastic restrictor I almost threw out is inside the hose!(I wonder how many of these have been discarded) 

Can't post the other picture!!!!

Edited by stangeba
try again