Package tray

Dan70MC

I have raplaced my package tray two times with the standard mesh tray with speaker cutouts that is available through many vendors. Mine is black so the cheap cardboard backing buckles from the sun beating on it for a few hours. I was hopingĀ  to find a replacement that was made out of something that wouldn't warp , but the only other thing I've found is fiberboard which probably wouldn't be much better. Bottom line , I guess I'm going to have to make one. I was thinking of using Luan plywood or Masonite , then covering it with Black vinyl. Any suggestions would be greatly appreaciated, thanks.

I used Masonite, 1/16" closed cell foam, and black Madrid grain vinyl for my package tray. Madrid is the pattern used for the door panels and seats. You don't need to use foam but it gives things a little body. I haven't finished the flap in the front of the board, but my plan was to double up the foam, wrap a piece of vinyl around it, staple it down to the Masonite, then bring it down to the seat divider.

I also used Masonite no foam but covered it after cutting it with a very thin short nap carpet I got from Walmart used spray glue to put it on. It's held up for more than 10 years so far and still don't look bad. It is a pain to vacuum though. Hasn't faded either but my back window is tinted.

I should also note that I didn't use spray glue, I used Weldwood Landau Top & Trim Cement; this is the heavy duty stuff that sticks right away. I ruined a set of sail panels from the adhesive spraying too stringy and bubbling the next day, so no more spray for me.

• Like 1

Great advice , Thanks guys ! Now I have a good idea how to make one. I probably won't get to it until next year though. Btw did you lay down the jute insulation underneath ?