tubular a arms?

I purchased no names from eBay for the control arms. A thing to be aware of on the lower control arms is the location of the lower zerk/grease fittings. Some have  them on top towards the frame. A pain to grease. The ones I purchased have them facing the ground. 

As for the coilovers I bought QA1 single adjustables. No issues with the control arms or the coilovers so far. 

Single adjustable allows you to adjust the shock's rebound while double adjustable lets you adjust compression and rebound.

The upper control arms need to add caster; not all of the no-name control arms do this. I'm running Summit Racing 'premium' control arms, which look to be whiteboxed Ridetech arms. If you're running coilovers I would recommend lower control arms made specifically for coilovers instead of springs as they allow a coilover with greater travel. QA1, UMI, and Ridetech all make arms designed for their coilover systems and they're all around the same cost.

For the rear I would recommend a kit that either reinforces the stock shock mount or doesn't use it at all, like the Global West system. If you use the upper shock mounts I would get a stiffener bar to tie them together. The cars weren't really made to support the ride weight on the upper mounts.

• Like 1

Coilovers replace the factory coil spring and shock, they're similar to Macpherson struts on newer cars. Unless you are constantly changing your ride height or trying to fine tune your suspension for performance there isn't much of an advantage to coilovers over springs and adjustable monotube shocks. You can fine tune the height of coil springs with spacers.

intresting a lot to takein i was talking to a sles rep at jegs he said to go with 1 inch lowering coil springs and billstien shocks for a lower center of gravity ,wiich would add great handling. I do like the ride hieght up all the way around though, torn on what to do..Any input appreciated.  thanks

Front coilover conversion. You can set the car lower or higher by adjusting the spring height. 

You can set low for a while, then make it higher for a different look or for whatever driving you are doing at the time. 

If you like your ride height then I would stick with it, not everybody needs to be lowered. If you could, measure to the frame just behind the front fender and in front of the rear quarter. Your car may be at a height where stiffer 1" lowering springs would improve the handling but wouldn't affect the ride height.

If you don't want the adjustability, Bilstein shocks would probably work great. Keep in mind that all performance shocks will leave the ride a little stiffer than some people like. Think more along the lines of a newer BMW than the floating couch that these cars were originally.