Best aftermarket molding?

1Bad454

I went through my pile of metal strip moldings and most of them are not in the best of condition. Since my car is a complete restoration I am looking at purchasing all new moldings. I see that OPG pretty much has it all but was wondering if there are any other companies that make good quality moldings? 

8 hours ago, 1Bad454 said:

I went through my pile of metal strip moldings and most of them are not in the best of condition. Since my car is a complete restoration I am looking at purchasing all new moldings. I see that OPG pretty much has it all but was wondering if there are any other companies that make good quality moldings? 

Which molding’s are you looking for?  All the lowers I got from the parts place. A little thinner then original but I think they look really good. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dtret said:

Which molding’s are you looking for?  All the lowers I got from the parts place. A little thinner then original but I think they look really good. 

When I bought the car it had a pile of metal moldings in the trunk. So I don't know what they are or for. I went through everything yesterday and couldn't figure them out besides the obvious lower side moldings and windshield moldings that I removed myself. Some of them look strange so I don't think that they are for a Monte Carlo. I'm not sure what the vinyl top moldings look like. That's one thing I was trying to figure out to see if I have them.   

Also if I am able to salvage a few pieces what is the easiest way to clean them up and polish them to like new condition? Just a good metal cleaner?

The drip rail, window, and vinyl moldings are stainless, so they'll clean up with any metal polish. I've heard that they're flash chromed, so if you get too aggressive you may see a color difference where you break through. Unless the trim has huge scratches I would just use a wadding polish like Nevr-Dull, small scratches become hard to see when it's shiny. I believe the rocker trim on the very bottom is stainless as well.

The quarter and wheel moldings are bright anodized aluminum, so they're harder to clean up. You could remove the anodizing and polish them, but you'll need to keep up on it. Some places say that they can clear powder coat polished aluminum, or you can try chrome powder coat with a clear on it. That's my eventual plan.

• Like 1

The vinyl top has has 9  total pieces of trim

the drip rail has 4 pieces per side

the weatherstrip trim has 4 per side

the front glass has 3 plus the the really wide one

the back glass has 4 pieces

plus you got all the chrome in the back  

you have the lower figured out. If you want/need certain pictures call me and I can send 

no sense in buying it if you have it there’s a lot of chrome, it can be deceiving when it is all in a pile. Let me know 

• Like 1

Some cars were ordered with an option called "Belt Molding" which was mounted on the outside of the car along the door and quarter panel along the glass.  This belt molding was standard on the 72 Monte Carlo Custom.

rob

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/31/2022 at 5:55 PM, 1Bad454 said:

Also if I am able to salvage a few pieces what is the easiest way to clean them up and polish them to like new condition? Just a good metal cleaner?

I polished all my original trim. I used a buffing / polishing wheel and different polishing compounds (Green / White) I also had excellent success with NEVR-DULL!

A word of caution: Be careful with amount of pressure on some metal pieces. they can warp from the heat of the buffing wheel! I screwed up the top right trim piece from my rear window. It now has a WOW!     I Didn't say WOW...I said 😣 #%*!!!

Jeff (Rare SS)

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Rare SS said:

I polished all my original trim. I used a buffing / polishing wheel and different polishing compounds (Green / White) I also had excellent success with NEVR-DULL!

A word of caution: Be careful with amount of pressure on some metal pieces. they can warp from the heat of the buffing wheel! I screwed up the top right trim piece from my rear window. It now has a WOW!     I Didn't say WOW...I said 😣 #%*!!!

Jeff (Rare SS)

Thank you Jeff! I was going through my trim again today and am going to be purchasing the polishing materials soon. 

• Like 1