Windshield wipers problems

My wipers have been hit and miss since coming home from Carlisle after the Eastern Meet. We ran thru a couple of storms in Ohio and they did not work at first but started working just before we hit the heavy blinding rain. The worked but then came on while driving along, I do not know if I had left the switch on or it came on after hitting a bump. Going out to the garage now to do more investigation just looking for some answers because we are going to The Parts Place Car Show this weekend. 

Checked all of the plugs at the wiper motor and sprayed the terminals with electric cleaner and they seemed to work a little better. They turned off and on several times and no failures. I bought a rebuilt wiper motor several years ago but the wiring did not match what the car has. I have had so long I do not remember where I got it.

13 hours ago, stangeba said:

Poor ground?

They worked fine until a couple of months ago I think.  Since it does not get out in the rain much I cannot really say how long this has been happening.  Seems like every year coming home from the Eastern Meet no matter where it is we run into rain.  Spraying the terminals with electronic cleaner has seemed to help but only time will tell being a 50 year old car I think it has a mind of its own

So I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a grounding issue. I want to say the wiper transmission itself has to have good metal to metal contact at the pivot point of the arm assembly. From my memory there is a ball that fits in a socket and if there is corrosion or grease/junk on that ball and socket the wipers will be intermittent. I recall scuffing mine up with a piece of scotchbrite (green scrubbie) and haven't had any issues since. 

It has been awhile though, so I don't really recall all the particulars. 

Well our trip to the Parts Place car show went well overall. It rained most of the way home and the wipers preformed flawlessly on high quite a bit of the time and on slow rarely. The electronic cleaner I sprayed on the terminals has really helped. Still have not got the washers to work but making progress

• Like 1