Dash pad

montebob70

Hi guys,

What can I use to bring the dash pad back to life? The pad is original to the car and has no cracks. It has been off the car since the early 90's. I would like to add some flexibility back to it. 

Thanks,

Bob

I wonder if anyone has tried taking the whole thing and letting it soak in warm water, with some sort of moisturizer in it. And then coating it with Vaseline or something like that.  But I’m thinking that it better be the correct color first or your screwed because you probably won’t get paint to stick to it. 

I would think that soaking the foam backing in warm water would cause it to break down..... Or expand uncontrollably. 

Remember, it's been compressed for 50 years, so it's just waiting to go crazy. ;)

I done it to like 3 dashes .I've used the bees wax you would use on wood.rub it on and let it warm in the sun.wipe off, do again.press lightly near the corner or by the speaker hole. It does not have much compression for that dash vinyl. As long as the edges don't have spider cracks, pledge works the best after. Used since I put mine back together in '08.post-259-0-93319100-1480263543_thumb.jpg

Well guys, I went will mineral oil. I soaked it down and let sit for approximately 24 hrs. It seems to have soaked some of the mineral oil. Then I wiped it dry. It looks pretty good. I wrapped it in plastic and put it back on the shelf. It will be a while before it will be installed.

Bob