Catalog vinyl tops.... OPG?

Steve G

As far as purchasing I don’t know. But as I have been looking at a bunch of original vinyl tops on cars there seems to be no pattern to where the seam lines up with the trunk line. I know they say original lines up with the lid line but I’m not sure that’s always true, according to other owners. I have seen alleged original tops be even, 1-2 inches in and also up to about 4 inches. I do know the aftermarket ones don’t line up with the lid lines. More input required from the group. 

I bought mine from Legendary.  Members more knowledgeable then me have looked at it and commented that the seems are in factory locations and lay down like factory seams.  I could take a picture if that helps you.

22 minutes ago, FrankOC said:

I bought mine from Legendary.  Members more knowledgeable then me have looked at it and commented that the seems are in factory locations and lay down like factory seams.  I could take a picture if that helps you.

Yes please.... there was a time when upholstery shops did beautiful jobs with vinyl tops from scratch... I have seen a few lately and it looks like garbage with a lot of excuses... i even saw one with the seams 4” from the drip mounding and they ran the seams down the sail panels...  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

Yes, that is how the factory ones ran from what I have seen.

rob

I agree with you. But while in Carlisle I talked to several members that said they had original tops but the seams didn’t line up. So that’s why I’m confused. My 71 is wrong according to what your saying ( I knew that when I had it installed).  But if I do the pos70 I want it to be correct. I’m just trying to get it right. 

• Like 1

On the ‘71, the seams on the roof appear to line up with the seams under the window, but not in line with the gaps in the deck lid. Gonna have to look at the ‘70 cuz I can’t recall where the seams lie off the top of my head. 

I have been looking for a vinyl top for my Monte. Vinyl tops are not in stock and need to be ordered. With the labor and supply chain issue, the 3 major manufacturers are 4-6 or 5-7 weeks out. If you looking to install one soon, those are the current lead times as of speaking with them this week.