2023 First-Gen Monte Carlo Takeover at Summit Motorsports Park (not an official FGMCC-Sponsored event)

Edit:

Guys and Gals, to be clear, this is not an official First Generation Monte Carlo Club-sponsored event. This is a group of like-minded individuals attending an already existing, pay-per-entry event and you will be required to sign a waiver to enter the track facility.

Update: 1/21/2023, 47 officially registered, 25 more say they are going either in Facebook events or face to face. Just under 27 weeks to go, might see 70+, who knows? Please register to ensure we have allocated space to park as a group.

Building on our successful Inaugural First-Gen Monte Carlo Takeover at Summit Motorsports Park’s 21st Annual Blue Suede Cruise, the dates have been announced for next year - July 28-30, 2023.

Bill Bader has already agreed to provide us the same location near the grand stands for next year. This is a prime location in regards to proximity for fun runs and watching the races from the stands. 

We fielded 18 First-Gen Monte Carlos at our inaugural event in 2022, let’s see if we can reach 40+ cars and really blow the announcer’s mind. 

Summit Motorsports Park is at 1300 State Route 18, Norwalk, Ohio. For more information, visit summitmotorsportspark.com or call 419-668-5555.

Photos from the 2022 event:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10224388515074039&type=3

I created a public invite for the event next summer...

Hope to see you guys there!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/835462189844838/permalink/5762037523853922/

Click here to Register

• Like 6

18 First Gen Monte's is a sight to be seen in it's self !!  That's a fantastic turn out .  I bet with a little effort, you will have really unbelievable numbers next year.  Summit Motorsports Park is a fantastic facility. And the Kalahari resort is rather close by as well !!

• Like 2

On 8/22/2022 at 9:37 PM, DragCat said:

Just a question, from this year the racing on the track was primarily Gassers. Not speaking of the fun runs. And yes I've seen stock and super stock at gasser races but not many. The link below is from this year 

https://nostalgiadragleague.com/competition/rules/

I’m not sure I understand your question?

I made 15 passes in two days. Could’ve raced Sunday too. 

At the test n tunes at atco, my son and I have done 20- 25 runs in a day, taking our time in Big Red. Most of the time 2-3 back to back runs. Run it, drive back and run again and sometimes again. Hot lappin'. Fun times! 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Dragginwagon467 said:

I’m not sure I understand your question?

I made 15 passes in two days. Could’ve raced Sunday too. 

I should have been more specific lol. I was just wondering if anybody raced, how tech was and the class structure. 

9 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

At the test n tunes at atco, my son and I have done 20- 25 runs in a day, taking our time in Big Red. Most of the time 2-3 back to back runs. Run it, drive back and run again and sometimes again. Hot lappin'. Fun times! 

Back in the day in Fl they had a Wed nite T&T just for race cars, the Fri nite T&T had 3 to 4 lanes of street car and you'd be lucky to get 4 passes in on a nite.

When I started at the track in Va, the track was hot at 5pm and street cars could get 3 or 4 passes back to back while everyone else was pulling in with their trailers and such. Ive made 18 passes in a nite.

But this year, I'm guessing noise complaints and such we lost an hour of run time so maybe 4 or 5 in a nite. Ive had a Sat nite race called after the 4th round because of time and on a Sun race you weren't allowed to start any race cars before noon. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dragginwagon467 said:

I easily could have done double the passes, but then when would I have time for photos?

And I forgot to add the ride along video you posted was priceless ! 

I’ve created a public event on Facebook in the group OHIO CAR SHOWS AND CRUISE INS linked below. For those apprehensive about signing up for a public event on Facebook…only your friends (people you’ve accepted friend requests from) and I can see your response. The OHIO CAR SHOWS AND CRUISE INS event will be the main invite in the future.

The space the track owner allocated to us is good for about 30 First-Gens, if you’re seriously planning on this event, please sign up so I know if we need more space. The track owner is excited to see how we do and I can probably get a few more spaces if needed.

Thanks
Mike 

https://m.facebook.com/events/4025737510883979

• Like 1

On 9/1/2022 at 7:02 AM, DragCat said:

Just a heads up, some of us don't use FB 

For those that don’t use social media, and I can think of hundreds reasons not to use social media, there’s the flyer. I’m also going to create a sign up form. I’ll post the link when it’s ready. 

The image below now contains a QR Code you can scan with your camera on your phone or Click here to Register.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Long post but I thought I'd share an update. 

It’s going to be a large event, we could see 50+ First Gen Monte Carlos at the First Gen Monte Carlo Takeover during Blue Suede Cruise at Summit Motorsports Park in Norwalk, OH. I say this after considering how many are "signed up" already, and how many First Gen Monte Carlos are in Northeast Ohio alone (who are t registered)...I'd say it's entirely possible, but not without coordination and communication at the local levels.

As of 10/5/2022:
20 officially registered (9 are new)
4 who attended last year have not registered but have signed up in the Facebook event invite or I'm fairly confident they will go: (Carlos Cubby Rodriguez, Dennis Tretter, Kaleb Sniezek, Randy Leek)
3 who attended last year have not registered but it is not clear if they plan to attend (Matt Sabo, Jim Sennhenn, Jim Walker)
12 who have expressed genuine interest but have not officially registered 

That gives us up to 39 as of today. 

I'd like to have everyone who is planning to attend register. Having your email address is one of the most direct ways of communicating without needing to depend on Facebook's algorithms to ensure everyone received a message. I'd like to put out another survey to see if the group would have interest in a dash plaque or T-shirt for the event? I understand some can't (or won't) register, but what I do need to work toward is a number to communicate to the track owner for our space next year...

Link to register:
https://forms.gle/bqWWJwXqved68iH57

These images were taken before receiving the two most recent registrations. Of the 18 registered so far, half are 1970.

There's an even split between 350 vs. 454.

Most have a TH400 transmission.

Most have 12-Bolt rear ends.

Most run 3.73 gears.

• Like 1

• Dragginwagon467 changed the title to 2023 First-Gen Monte Carlo Takeover at Summit Motorsports Park (not an official FGMCC-Sponsored event)
  • 2 weeks later...

21 officially registered. 
44 total have either responded as “Going” to Facebook event invitations or have otherwise committed to the event. 

Furthest away is Opdyke, IL - about 480 miles away. Second furthest is Evansville, IN - about 430 miles away (which is how far I drove my Monte to go racing last weekend). 

My goal is go get everyone registered who is committed to the event. 

Northeast Ohio is leading the way by region.

By City, ST  

• Like 1

12/17/2022 Update:

First, Bill Bader, Summit Motorsports Park owner, gave written permission for me to use the track and event logos to promote the event, more on this later. Also, I have been asked again about event T-shirts...I'm considering this, but I'd rather not be involved if I can help it.

Today, we have 26 officially registered, additionally, there are 26 more that have either responded as “Going” to Facebook event invitations or have otherwise committed to the event, face-to-face. My goal is go get everyone registered who is planning to the event, and start sharing photos of each registered car (see below).

If all registered cars make the trip, the long distance awards will go to:

1. Connelly Springs, NC - about 515 miles
  2. Opdyke, IL - about 483 miles
  3. Evansville, IN - about 430 miles

Northeast Ohio is leading the way by region, with 9, while Northwest Ohio has 6. From looking at the map, Central Ohio is clearly underrepresented. Is it possible that all the First-Gen Monte Carlos have migrated to NE and NW Ohio? I'm not sure, what do you guys think?

Anyhow, the first three cars registered - more to follow.

• Like 4

12/24/2022 Update:

Merry Christmas Eve to you and your families.

As they say, that escalated quickly...

We're now sitting at 33 officially registered, 37 more that have either responded as “Going” to Facebook event invitations or have otherwise committed to the event, face-to-face. My goal remains get everyone registered who is planning to attend the event, and finish sharing photos of each registered car (see below).

No updates about event T-shirts yet.

If all registered cars make the trip, the long distance awards will go to:

1. Connelly Springs, NC - about 515 miles
  2. Opdyke, IL - about 483 miles
  3. Evansville, IN - about 430 miles

Northeast Ohio is leading the way by region, with 10, while Northwest Ohio and Southeast Michigan have 6.

My earlier question still remains...

From looking at the map, Central Ohio is clearly underrepresented. Is it possible that all the First-Gen Monte Carlos have migrated to NE and NW Ohio? I'm not sure, what do you guys think?

Officially Registered:

The first 32 cars officially registered...

• Like 3

Please note, even though members of the FGMCC will be in attendance, this is NOT a First Generation Monte Carlo Club event.  This has been added due to the number of questions I have received regarding this event.  Please direct your questions to the originator of this string.  FGMCC MANAGEMENT.

Merry Christmas to all. 

For the First-Gen Monte Carlo Takeover FAQ - Click here

12/28/2022 Update

34 Registered (70 say they're going). 

A group discount for early registration has been arranged, refer the FAQ linked above for details. Must be registered for the Takeover to be eligible for the group discount on Blue Suede Cruise tickets. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update: 
Bill (SMP) messaged back, I’m going to send an updated list, of those registered for the Takeover, monthly. The first 40 attendees have been submitted. I’ll confirm when SMP has sent their communications to you. I’ve also messaged those who have signed up but do not have social media. 

Thanks to All that have registered so far.

Please note, even though members of the FGMCC will be in attendance, this is NOT a First Generation Monte Carlo Club event.  This has been added due to the number of questions I have received regarding this event.  Please direct your questions to the originator of this string.  FGMCC MANAGEMENT.

Thought it would be good to give a more detailed update on the event - things are progressing nicely. The guys are doing a good job networking and getting the word out, I think excitement is really building. July is going to be a wild one in Ohio.

Few main points:
  •  As of 1/13/2023, 
    • 46 Montes registered
    • 25 more say they’re going but have not registered
    • 19 more say they’re interested 
    • This means we could easily see 70+ First-Gens at the Takeover
  • Here’s a quick video of those who have taken the time to register - Click here
  • Discounted ticket agreement has been arranged for those who have registered (Save $10 off the $55 at the gate price). If you have already registered, just sit back and wait…I’ll let you know when to expect the email from Summit Motorsports Park. 
  • I’ve created two supporting documents - both have useful information. 
    • FAQ (Topics covered) - Click to open
      • What is the First-Gen Monte Carlo Takeover? - Click here
      • What is the Blue Suede Cruise? - Click here
      • Is there an additional charge for the First-Gen Monte Carlo Takeover? - Click here
      • How many First-Gen Monte Carlos will attend? - Click here
      • Should I register for the First-Gen Monte Carlo Takeover? - Click here
      • How do I register for the First-Gen Monte Carlo Takeover? - Click here
      • Which Blue Suede Cruise entry do I need to purchase in order to park with the First-Gen Monte Carlo Takeover group and make fun runs? - Click here
      • I plan on pre-purchasing my ticket ahead of time, is there an advantage? - Click here
      • How will the discounted ticket sales work? - Click here
      • What’s in the car show packet? - Click here
      • What's included with your entry? - Click here
      • Why is it is important to register for the First-Gen Monte Carlo Takeover? - Click here
      • Where are all the Monte Carlos coming from? - Click here
      • I can only make it Saturday, can I get a one day pass? - Click here
      • What’s a “Fun Run” anyway? Click here
      • Where is the parking area for the First-Gen Monte Carlo Takeover? Click here
      • Are there special rules in the car show area? Click here
      • What hotel is everyone staying in? Click here
      • What if I'm attending with friends who don't have a First-Gen Monte Carlo? Click here
      • Is the First-Gen Monte Carlo Takeover an official First Generation Monte Carlo Club (FMGCC) event? Click here
      • How did the First-Gen Monte Carlo Takeover begin? Click here
      • Helpful Links Click here
    • Registration Update (Topics covered)- Click to open
      • How many First-Gen Monte Carlos will attend? Click here
      • Where are all the Monte Carlos coming from? Click here
      • What day will most people attend? Click here
      • What are the most common engines? Click here
      • What are the most common transmissions? Click here
      • What are the most common rear axle housings? Click here
      • What are the most common axle ratios? Click here
      • How quick are the Monte Carlos which are attending and planning on Fun Runs? Click here
      • Should I register for the First-Gen Monte Carlo Takeover? Click here

27 minutes ago, Dragginwagon467 said:

Thought it would be good to give a more detailed update on the event - things are progressing nicely. The guys are doing a good job networking and getting the word out, I think excitement is really building. July is going to be a wild one in Ohio.

Sounds like it's coming along quite nice. That being said, have you considered becoming a dues paying member to this group, which would also get you access to our main events at Carlisle?

• Like 2