2023 First-Gen Monte Carlo Takeover at Summit Motorsports Park (not an official FGMCC-Sponsored event)

19 minutes ago, jft69z said:

have you considered becoming a dues paying member to this group

Yeah, you should become a dues paying member.  It is the best $25.00 you could spend.

rob

• Like 5

Yes, Your membership with us and supporting the First Gen Monte Carlo's  could benefit you at this show with maybe a Tent for all your participants there? It's awful there with no shade. Been there with no golf cart or shade to speak of. With all of those MonteCarlo's showing up ,it's going to be a blow out!  Been following you at the F.A.S.T. drags and hope to be there in the following year.... Fingers crossed. Looking good Man !!gallery_1763_8_1413157507_2588.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Jared Richey said:

This is a big missed opportunity imo to create very successful  Midwestern meet out of this if you joined the fgmcc.

Everyone has wanted that forever  

Jared, that area is not far enough west for a Mid-west meet.  We have had meets there before and didn't draw enough members from the mid-west because they felt it was too far east to draw them to attend.

rob

19 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

Jared, that area is not far enough west for a Mid-west meet.  We have had meets there before and didn't draw enough members from the mid-west because they felt it was too far east to draw them to attend.

rob

Sounds like a fair amount of people may be attending this event. If they were all club members, it would be a fairly decent showing. I'm still up in the air about it right now, but will be researching hotel accommodations to be safe. 

On 1/13/2023 at 9:08 AM, Rob Peters said:

Yeah, you should become a dues paying member.  It is the best $25.00 you could spend.

rob

I spend my money on go fast parts (it shows [at the track]) and food (it also shows 🤣 ). It's not the distance to the National event locations that's keeping me from joining. To the contrary, I drove 7 hrs to a drag race and participated in a five day drag race covering almost 1200 miles. To push me over the line, there needs to be a carrot at the end of a substantial drive, and the carrot needs to involve legal drag racing. I don't fit the normal group demographic, that's OK and I'm not looking to change/influence the group...aside from offer those within driving distance to attend what I think is one of the coolest car-oriented events in northern Ohio.

On 1/13/2023 at 11:15 AM, 420ponies said:

Yes, Your membership with us and supporting the First Gen Monte Carlo's  could benefit you at this show with maybe a Tent for all your participants there? It's awful there with no shade. Been there with no golf cart or shade to speak of. With all of those Monte Carlo's showing up ,it's going to be a blow out!  Been following you at the F.A.S.T. drags and hope to be there in the following year.... Fingers crossed. Looking good Man !!gallery_1763_8_1413157507_2588.jpg

See above.

I know what you're saying about shade, I prefer the walking shade of a sombrero to a tent, tents adversely affect the group photo but, I'll leave it to the attendees to decide if they want to put up shade. I truly think it's going to be off the hook...and it's the attendees that will make it special, I'm only encouraging to bring them to come together for a memorable day, or weekend, if they so choose.

I absolutely look forward to seeing you at Martin. The FAST Spring Nationals lands on my birthday this year, and you'd think that's a good thing, but I share birthdays with my Son and I'd be in the doghouse on so many levels if I missed the party to go racing (and he's not too eager to go racing lately).

20 hours ago, Jared Richey said:

This is a big missed opportunity imo to create very successful  Midwestern meet out of this if you joined the fgmcc.

Everyone has wanted that forever  

See above, I'm not looking to turn any First-Gens away due to non-membership. I agree with Rob regarding the location as good a Midwestern meet - it too far. Four hours seems to be the limit for most sane people. Luckily, car guys aren't really sane so we still have people willing and able to jump in their First-Gens and drive hundreds of miles to attend car events. These are my people.

13 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

rob

Agree and understandable. The First-Gen Monte Carlo Takeover during the Blue Suede Cruise at Summit Motorsports Park in Norwalk, OH will be a great event for years to come due to the high density of First-Gens in the surrounding areas and strong car culture emanating out of Cleveland and Detroit, and flowing through northwest Ohio. and Toledo. On the other hand, it's been challenging for me to find a similar strong following in the Columbus, OH (central Ohio) area. I'm hopeful the First-Gens start popping out of the woodwork.

13 hours ago, jft69z said:

Sounds like a fair amount of people may be attending this event. If they were all club members, it would be a fairly decent showing. I'm still up in the air about it right now, but will be researching hotel accommodations to be safe. 

47 registered, 25 more say they're "Going" but haven't registered. Could easily see 70-80+. But, let's not count the First-Gens before they drive through the gate. Once I start hearing feedback about how many have pre-purchased their car show entries, I'll get more (more) excited. There's still more than 6 months to go, anything can happen. Gas and internal combustion engines aren't getting more popular, get out and enjoy then while you can!

9 hours ago, Dragginwagon467 said:

I spend my money on go fast parts (it shows [at the track]) and food (it also shows 🤣 ). It's not the distance to the National event locations that's keeping me from joining. To the contrary, I drove 7 hrs to a drag race and participated in a five day drag race covering almost 1200 miles. To push me over the line, there needs to be a carrot at the end of a substantial drive, and the carrot needs to involve legal drag racing. I don't fit the normal group demographic, that's OK and I'm not looking to change/influence the group...aside from offer those within driving distance to attend what I think is one of the coolest car-oriented events in northern Ohio.

Just my .02 on the membership........And like you all my Monte money goes towards getting better at the track.

The membership fees help keep this forum running, so people less knowledgable like me can get help from people like you and other members that have been there done that. Ive gotten more than ive given so I feel very lucky to have run across a group like the people here.

Lanes.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, DragCat said:

Just my .02 on the membership........And like you all my Monte money goes towards getting better at the track.

The membership fees help keep this forum running, so people less knowledgable like me can get help from people like you and other members that have been there done that. Ive gotten more than ive given so I feel very lucky to have run across a group like the people here.

Lanes.jpeg

Mark, you are very right.  The dues help keep this site running.  The amount of searchable and advertising information available here is well worth the very small cost of the dues.  It is much better than free facebook sites that aren't as easily searched.  There are changes coming to the club website that will help address this.

rob

• Like 9

55 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

It is much better than free facebook sites that aren't as easily searched.  

rob

Half the time, the info & help offered by some people on those FB groups isn't exactly correct (or safe) either. I guess you get what you pay for....

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Half the time, the info & help offered by some people on those FB groups isn't exactly correct (or safe) either. I guess you get what you pay for....

Or don’t pay for????

• Like 3

9 hours ago, jft69z said:

I’d say more than half the time. A lot of bad information out there.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, sbarnette said:

I’d say more than half the time. A lot of bad information out there.

Yeah, then they want to argue with you besides. Further proving they don't have a clue.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Which hotel?

If it's the Bellevue Hotel as someone just messaged me, there's no place to park trailers from the aerial views of the facility that I can see. I had a list of hotels I was going to call/investigate, that one's not on my list for that reason. 

2 hours ago, jft69z said:

Which hotel?

If it's the Bellevue Hotel as someone just messaged me, there's no place to park trailers from the aerial views of the facility that I can see. I had a list of hotels I was going to call/investigate, that one's not on my list for that reason. 

It is Bellevue (discounted rate with 40 rooms available is important), as is distance from the Turnpike/highway traffic. Bellevue still has a small town feel, the hotels up near the turnpike on 250 don't have a warm feeling. When I've driven by Bellevue the last few years on my way to Blue Suede Cruise, there are 4-5 trailers parked in the lot on the east end. The other option is to leave the trailer at Linder's Lot (at the track )and drive back and forth each day. Either way, there are options for trailers.

1 hour ago, Dragginwagon467 said:

It is Bellevue (discounted rate with 40 rooms available is important), as is distance from the Turnpike/highway traffic. Bellevue still has a small town feel, the hotels up near the turnpike on 250 don't have a warm feeling. When I've driven by Bellevue the last few years on my way to Blue Suede Cruise, there are 4-5 trailers parked in the lot on the east end. The other option is to leave the trailer at Linder's Lot (at the track )and drive back and forth each day. Either way, there are options for trailers.

I'm not so concerned about the $11/night discount, or the small town warm feeling at all. I had initially found 5 hotels closer (9-13 miles from event), with much better trailer parking options. Leaving my trailer at the track isn't something I'm really interested in. Listed in the order I was considering:

1) Fairfield/Quality Inn, 2) Hampton Inn.    Both in Sandusky

3) Country Inn & Suites, 4) Hampton Inn, and  5) Holiday Inn Express,  These three in Milan

Doubtful I'll be going at this point, but if any members are interested, I can pass the contact info of the hotels along.

Bellevue: Not a whole lot of space there, especially with a Mexican restaurant right in the middle of the lot.

Bellevue1.JPG

A few of the ones I was looking into, as far as parking, location, etc:

Fairfield.JPG

days inn-country inn.JPG

Hampton.JPG

• Like 1

It looks to me like Bellevue has plenty of parking for trucks/trailers based on what I see in that photo. As for choosing a hotel for a meet I often prioritize rates, availability of rooms and safety higher than the proximity to the car show. Usually I prefer to be within 20 min of the car show though. It is a tough balance at times choosing a hotel as there can be a lot of variables.

14 minutes ago, Canuck said:

It looks to me like Bellevue has plenty of parking for trucks/trailers based on what I see in that photo. 

Not as much as the other places, as well as ease of parking said trailers. Other places can easily just pull straight up and take 2 spots, or back trailer into the grass like we do at Syracuse.

As far as location, worst case they're 25 miles away. The ones I looked at were sort of a sweet spot of location & parking, and better quality rooms/facility. 

I pulled it up with 'street view', (drag the little google guy to the street), not ideal, at least for me.. 

All I see are maybe the spaces with the longer yellow lines, rest are straight up parking, up to the buildings.

Bellevue1 parking.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff,

I looked at it extensively, and again today.

Price, availability, security, amenities, atmosphere. Leaving trailers at the track and driving your car 17 miles to a hotel doesn't seem like a large ask. 

With all the First-Gen owners on site, I'm surprised FGMCC doesn't attend as a group to promote membership, in person. 

Hotels within 20 minutes drive, on a Saturday morning, and their pricing for 7/28-7/30 (demand pricing is in effect and subject to change):

Name Address City ST Zip Phone Distance Time
(Min at 7AM Sat)
Zone Map Link Satellite Photo Link Website Email Google Rating Number of Google Reviews Comments Number of Rooms Total Number of Rooms Available 7/28 Number of Rooms Available 7/29 Pricing Date Pricing Source 7/28 Price 7/29 Price
Summit Motorsports Park 1300 OH-18 Norwalk OH 44857   0 0 0   Link                        
Norwalk Inn 283 Benedict Ave Norwalk OH 44857 (419) 668-8255 4.1 6 1 Link Link     3.9 132 Language barrier...
Nestled behind Burger King and the 24hr Car Wash
Racers reserve rooms the previous year.
18 Still too early Still too early     Still too early Still too early
Woodview Apartments 13 James St Norwalk OH 44857 (419) 706-0399 4.9 7 1 Link Link https://www.woodviewnorwalk.com/ woodview17@gmail.com 5 1                
Best Western 351 Milan Ave Norwalk OH 44857 (419) 663-3501 5.6 9 1 Link Link https://www.bestwestern.com/   4.1 475 Limited rooms, only 5 Friday, 2 Saturday 58 3 8 2/25/2023 Link $299 $299
Econo Lodge 342 Milan Ave Norwalk OH 44857 (419) 668-5656 5.5 10 1 Link Link   3.3 340 No answer. Meixcan resturant on one side, BK on the other       2/25/2023 Link $201 $201
Comfort Inn 415 Milan Ave Norwalk OH 44857 (419) 663-1922 5.8 10 1 Link Link https://www.choicehotels.com/   3.7 256         2/25/2023 Link $241 $241
Motel 6 11406 State Route 250 N Milan OH 44846 (419) 499-8001 8.9 13 2 Link Link https://www.motel6.com/   3.6 626         2/13/2023 Link $160 $160
Days Inn 11410 State Route 250 N Milan OH 44846 (419) 956-0479 8.9 13 2 Link Link   2.9 618         2/25/2023 Link $269 $269
Red Roof Inn 11303 State Route 250 N Milan OH 44846 (419) 499-4347 9 13 2 Link Link   3.7 374         2/25/2023 Link $240 $240
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson 11600 US-250 Milan OH 44846 (419) 499-4911 9 13 2 Link Link   4.4 659         2/25/2023 Link $268 $268
Hampton Inn 11608 State Route 250 Milan OH 44846 (419) 499-8000 9.1 13 2 Link Link   4.5 655         2/13/2023 Link $310 $310
Quality Inn 11020 State Route 250 N Milan OH 44846 (419) 499-4681 9.2 13 2 Link Link   3.5 560         2/25/2023 Link $201 $201
Holiday Inn Express & Suites 11313 Milan Rd Milan OH 44846 (567) 401-3501 9 14 2 Link     4.6 132         2/25/2023 Link $342 $342
Kalahari Resort 7000 Kalahari Dr Sandusky OH 44870 (419) 433-7200 13 18 2 Link Link   4.3 18719         2/25/2023 Link $346 $346
Plantation Motel 2815 Cleveland Rd E Huron OH 44839 (419) 433-4790 13.2 18 2 Link Link   3.9 284         2/25/2023 Link $179 $179
Fairfield Inn and Suites by Marriott 6220 Milan Rd Sandusky OH 44870 (419) 621-9500 13.7 18 2 Link Link   4.1 460         2/25/2023 Link $388 $388
Tru by Hilton 6110 Milan Rd Sandusky OH 44870 (419) 625-8000 13.8 18 2 Link Link https://www.hilton.com   4.3 238         2/25/2023 Link $262 $262
Hampton Inn 6100 Milan Rd Sandusky OH 44870 (419) 609-9000 13.8 18 2 Link Link https://www.hilton.com   4.3 474         2/25/2023 Link $310 $310
Best Western Hotels and Suites 6011 Milan Rd Sandusky OH 44870 (419) 627-9595 14 19 2 Link Link   4 929         2/25/2023 Link $263 $263
Comfort/Sleep Inn 5509 Milan Rd Sandusky OH 44870 (419) 625-6989 14.5 20 2 Link Link   3.8 572         2/25/2023 Link $178 $178
Quality Inn 2119 W Cleveland Rd Huron OH 44839 (419) 433-5359 15.4 20 2 Link Link   2.9 311         2/25/2023 Link $207 $207
Motel 6 601 Rye Beach Rd Huron OH 44839 (419) 433-7829 15.4 20 2 Link Link   3.4 1038         2/25/2023 Link $185 $185
Bellevue Hotel & Suites 1120 E Main St Bellevue OH   (419) 483-5740 16.8 20 3 Link Link   3.9 320 Chris Peters (bellevuehotelandsuites3@gmail.com 80 40 40     $149 $149

On 2/12/2023 at 12:51 PM, Canuck said:

It looks to me like Bellevue has plenty of parking for trucks/trailers based on what I see in that photo. As for choosing a hotel for a meet I often prioritize rates, availability of rooms and safety higher than the proximity to the car show. Usually I prefer to be within 20 min of the car show though. It is a tough balance at times choosing a hotel as there can be a lot of variables.

Thanks Aaron, I agree.

4 hours ago, Dragginwagon467 said:

With all the First-Gen owners on site, I'm surprised FGMCC doesn't attend as a group to promote membership, in person. 

Pretty comical & ironic, considering we've asked you both privately & publicly to become a dues-paying member of the FGMCC numerous times.

Actually, it's not comical, it's insulting to the supporting members here. That takes balls.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Dragginwagon467 said:

Michael,

We do have some members that were planning to attend and I am sure the members attending will promote our membership.  Will we have a large group in attendance, I can't say for sure.  We have our Eastern Meet in Kentucky in Somerset, KY in May.  We have a Mini-Meet in Carlisle PA in June and another Mini-Meet in Syracuse, NY in July.  On top of what we are doing out in the East we also have an upcoming Mini-Meet in Summerland BC Canada in May  and a Western Meet in Logan, UT in July.  So, as you can see we are out there at many events promoting our club

You have been very upfront about not wanting (actually refusing) to join the FGMCC but we have allowed you to promote your gathering here on our site.  Come on man, it is only $25.00.  The hosting for this site is paid for by the dues from our dues paying members of the club.  It is not a free club to run.  It costs money to run a club and being that we are a club dedicated to the First Generation Monte Carlo it limits us to only 3 years of production models to draw from,  I feel we have done well to keep this club and website in operation for going on 23 years.  We are a very dedicated group.  

As far as attending your get-together as a group is a difficult thing because we would not be able to participate directly with your group as a club function.  One of the reasons are insurance related.  Our club is insured so any member attending a club function must be a dues paying member for our our insurance to cover us.  Since your group is not insured I personally would not plan to attend.  

To come onto our club site, where we have allowed you to advertise your event, and criticize us for not attending your event just doesn't make sense to me.  It sounds like you have gotten a lot of participation already so why would you come here and knock our club for not attending as a group.  It is my hope that some of the members of our club who are planning to come don't back out, nor am I going to encourage them to but your attitude toward us does not encourage participation.

rob

• Like 7
  • Thank You! 2