2023 First-Gen Monte Carlo Takeover at Summit Motorsports Park (not an official FGMCC-Sponsored event)

I purchase tickets to this event at least 6 months ago. Keep in mind the tickets are for the show, the Takeover has nothing to do with it just part of it. I’m now debating whether or not to go. If I do I probably will not park with the group, I’ll go park by myself. Swap meet was pretty good last year. I like parts. Lol. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Dtret said:

I If I do I probably will not park with the group, I’ll go park by myself. 

I'd be willing to possibly come out and park with you Dennis. If more of our club members would consider it, I'm sure we'd be able to use the FGMCC banner with the club officer's blessing. 

Still need to look at the dates and scheduling to see if it'll work, but there's some time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jft69z said:

I'd be willing to possibly come out and park with you Dennis. If more of our club members would consider it, I'm sure we'd be able to use the FGMCC banner with the club officer's blessing. 

Still need to look at the dates and scheduling to see if it'll work, but there's some time.

Joe and Dennis, I am sure there would be no issue for you to take the club banner to be put onto a canopy.  We can also provide you with some club business cards and some membership applications to take with you.  Maybe you can finally talk Michael Rae into joining the club while you are there.

rob

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DRDIRT11 said:

This fella that doesn't want to join the club was rude to me on facebook for not registering in his timing so I declined. Hope he has fun at his event.

Hey Joe, 

No worries, you can just hang out with Dennis & his dancing pal :yay:.

But really, it's shaping up that you may be able to hang out with us if you really want to go, so don't let that stop you from going.

34 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

Joe and Dennis, I am sure there would be no issue for you to take the club banner to be put onto a canopy.  We can also provide you with some club business cards and some membership applications to take with you.  Maybe you can finally talk Michael Rae into joining the club while you are there.

rob

Sounds good Rob, we'll just take possession of the banner and supplies at Carlisle. We'll be using it at Syracuse which we're also attending, so I'll just keep it with me. As far as signing up the other guy, what's the point. Wasted enough breath on that situation.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DragCat said:

It won't be long now until Dennis puts a tow hitch on the Monte for parts gathering 🤣

No tow hitch ( I did think about it though). You’d be surprised what can be stuffed in that car, well you know you allegedly have one( lol). Car on trailer behind truck. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jft69z said:

Hey Joe, 

No worries, you can just hang out with Dennis & his dancing pal :yay:.

But really, it's shaping up that you may be able to hang out with us if you really want to go, so don't let that stop you from going.

Sounds good Rob, we'll just take possession of the banner and supplies at Carlisle. We'll be using it at Syracuse which we're also attending, so I'll just keep it with me. As far as signing up the other guy, what's the point. Wasted enough breath on that situation.

Joe I know you talk to yourself but you’re posting messages to yourself???  🤪

• Haha 3
  • Kook 1

31 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Joe I know you talk to yourself but you’re posting messages to yourself???  🤪

Sometimes, it's the only way to get an intelligent conversation. (Case in point 🥴).

• Like 1
  • Thank You! 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

rob

Joe and Dennis if mine is finished I will park with you and if it is not ready I'll come and hang out for the day!

• Like 2
  • Thank You! 1

23 minutes ago, black07ss said:

Joe and Dennis if mine is finished I will park with you and if it is not ready I'll come and hang out for the day!

Bob, Are you and Deanna going to make it to Carlisle this year?

rob

1 hour ago, black07ss said:

Sounds fantastic Bob, thank you!

Look, I was asked about becoming a “dues paying  member” four times before I explained my reasoning for why I (not anyone else) have chosen to forego membership up until this point. I may have even hinted at what it would take for me to become a dues paying member. After I explained my reasoning for not becoming a dues paying member, I was asked, guilted or goaded to become a member no less than 6 more times. Heck, even the forum rules have been updated to prevent guys like me from popping out of the woodwork again in the future…

Do I take offense to it? Not at all. Guys are passionate about their hobbies and that passion often translates into persistence and tenacity which drive results. I know persistence and passion can be off putting to certain people, even to the point where they believe they’ve been attacked, insulted or treated rudely - if this is the case, you have my sincere apologies.

Like Dennis said, there is no cost for the Takeover, and the main reasons for registering is to ensure the track owner can allocate enough space for us to park together for a group photo (or even a walkthrough video) more than anything, but also to build excitement toward the event. Using the buying power of our attendance to help others save money doesn’t hurt either. If we can make this a yearly event, renew in November - cost is only $35. Registering and buying your tickets ahead of time also expedites your entry to the event...you only need to pull up, show your credentials, drive in and park - directly behind the grandstands. With 3000 cars attending this weekend event, anything you can do to expedite the entry helps everyone.

We have several people attending the Takeover during the Blue Suede Cruise with friends who don’t drive a First-Gen Monte Carlo. In these cases, I encourage them to park with their friends - the Blue Suede Cruise is one of the most enjoyable car events and you should enjoy it with your closest car friends. If you want to stop by for a group photo, great, I'll announce the time. 

In regards to FGMCC attending the Takeover, bravo! However, I think having two "separate" Monte Carlo groups sends a strange message, and it could be interpreted as an "us" vs. "them" situation. Instead, I'd hope for no distinction between attendees and what may have motivated them to be there. I don’t have a sign for the Takeover, I don't plan to either. Further, the Takeover is not a club and I surely don’t intend to run a club. Greg does plan on bringing his Ohio 1st Gen Monte Carlo Family banner, but the FGMCC is more than welcome to put their club banner in front of the group alongside Greg’s. It’s up to you guys, I’m not in this for notoriety or money, I’m in it for the cars, camaraderie as well as the photos and videos. Can you imagine how many Monte vs. Monte drag races we can see?

Anyhow, if it’s intelligent conversation you seek, let’s talk engine builds and I’ll talk your ear off. Believe it or not, I’ll even maintain my Christian values. 

PS. With the new rules, I'm not highly motivated to stop back and check for replies on the daily since I can't reply right away anyhow. 

Edited by Dragginwagon467

3 hours ago, Dragginwagon467 said:

Anyhow, if it’s intelligent conversation you seek, let’s talk engine builds and I’ll talk your ear off. Believe it or not, I’ll even maintain my Christian values. 

Michael,

Is valve geometry somewhat less critical for the standard stock rockers as compared to roller rockers. I realize the importance of proper geometry with roller rockers, but is there more forgiveness with the stock rockers assuming the push rods are the correct length ?  

Ed C 

Edited by EVC
typo

This Dude is Missing the Whole Point of this conversation ! We don't just stick our Banner in front of any group. Geez, I'd like to come out just to see the show. Are all these cars racing? I too could talk your ear off on the engines I have built and raced but the sun only shines so long in a day. That's why we have bench racing at night at our meets. Apology accepted.

• Like 2
  • Thank You! 3

On 3/1/2023 at 12:46 AM, EVC said:

Michael,

Is valve geometry somewhat less critical for the standard stock rockers as compared to roller rockers. I realize the importance of proper geometry with roller rockers, but is there more forgiveness with the stock rockers assuming the push rods are the correct length ?  

Ed C 

In my mind good rocker arm geometry is never out of style. But, if you're running stock rockers, you likely have stock length valves, stock height keepers, and standard height retainers - just like the General intended so I wouldn't expect the width of your contact patch to be too far off. If you've changed lengths on any of the above, and are out in left field on your pushrod length, all bets are off and check to ensure correct pushrod length at 90° at half valve lift (follow Scott Foxwell's video on YouTube - Link). While it's nice to land a narrow pattern, and nearly centered on the tip, at least nail the narrower pattern and if it's not centered, you may need a different rocker with slightly different dimensions from the fulcrum to the valve stem tip. Also, if bumping up the lift on that SBC, watch for pushrod interference throughout the entire lift cycle. Guide plates and screw-in studs are also a great idea.

On 3/1/2023 at 1:04 AM, EVC said:

IMG_1829.JPG

On 3/1/2023 at 12:17 PM, 420ponies said:

This Dude is Missing the Whole Point of this conversation ! We don't just stick our Banner in front of any group. Geez, I'd like to come out just to see the show. Are all these cars racing? I too could talk your ear off on the engines I have built and raced but the sun only shines so long in a day. That's why we have bench racing at night at our meets. Apology accepted.

Regarding the banner, I believe there's reasonable logic behind my offer but I also understand the club's reasoning.

Are all these cars racing? As part of the registration process, I've asked if you plan on making fun runs and "What is your quickest 1/4 Mile time in your Monte Carlo?" Of the 54 registered so far, 38 are planning on making Fun Runs. Keep in mind, Fun Runs are made "heads-up" so it only makes sense we try to help pair the cars up as equally as possible. Of course, we can still have call outs if you want to race a specific Monte - just work it out amongst yourselves. Watching and participating in side-by-side Monte Carlo drag race action is one of things I look forward to the most. The track also does not care if you have passengers, and this is great if you want to take your family or friends down the track for a unique experience. The 1/4-Mile ETs breakdown something like this (N/A is unknown):

N/A 15.0-up 14.0 - 14.99s 13.0 - 13.99s 12.0 - 12.99s 11.0 - 11.99s 10.0 - 10.99s 09.0 - 9.99s
0 0 0   0      
7 9 3 9 4 4 1 1

Keep in mind, you sign a waiver to enter the facility, and the track does what is can to ensure a clean and well prepared racing surface. Drag racing involve speeds well above the speed limit and ultimately, you are responsible for your safety and the safety of your car. Determine the amount of risk within your comfortable level. If I had a low comfort level for risk, I would still line up to race (for the photos) and let the other car go and just cruise normally down the track. That's me, I love racing photos! Each of us is different and that's OK - there's no shame in it.

If you like to bench race, let's chat at the track - I like to talk shop, but also like to shut up, listen, and learn too.

Best Regards,

Mike

43 minutes ago, Dragginwagon467 said:

In my mind good rocker arm geometry is never out of style. 

Mike

Thanks for the info Mike. After spending tons of cash and pulling the engine three times….  I found that builder didn't replace the valve guides, long story, but instead of going to prison for killing the idiot, I decided to do the heads again and replaced the valve guides.

We're using stock length push rods and stock rockers. So far,,,10,000miles and a year later, it seems to be holding together. Torque is great and does everything I need well below 4000 rpm ...This is the original engine and we bored it 20 over. Dyno showed 316 hp. Not a drag racer, but the car is quick enough for me. 273 gearing, 700r4, 1900 stall….

Ed C.. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

7 Weeks to go, 58 Registered.

Had a spontaneous get together a couple weeks ago at the local car show/cruise night...the guys and gals are getting excited for the Takeover.

Drove my car to work yesterday and met fellow First-Gen owner Ralph who literally followed me to work to check out my Monte. Ralph owns a olive/black vinyl '72 and it sounds like he might be interested in the Takeover too.

Edited by Dragginwagon467

• 5 weeks later...

19 Days to go...

64 Montes Registered, 11 of these have informed me they are unable to make it this year...hopefully we'll see them next year. Dozens more responded as going on several Facebook invitations. 

The anticipation is very high to see the broad spectrum of cars and people at the event.

Hope to see you guys and gals there.

FGMCTOGroupPhoto20230709-RFS.png.cb0b9a4922dc17deef5e7666008cf848.png

• 2 weeks later...

5 days to go. 

67 Registered, 15 of them have informed me they’re unable to attend this year. Best guess is we’ll see 50+ First-Gens on Saturday.

Wether will be warm on Friday but cools off Friday evening into Saturday and Sunday. 

Only a few days to wait.