Delete emissions parts

Crom Cruach

what can I safely delete from the emissions system without messing up the operation of the car?

I have removed the TCS solenoid and put the vacuum direct from carb to distributor 

can I remove the fast idle solenoid?

how about the temp sensor on the block?

is there anything else?

The temp. sender doesn't have much to do with emissions.... But it does operate the gauge/warning light, so don't mess with that.

I believe the only other thing you can safely remove is the charcoal canister and hoses, remember to plug everything off .

As for the fast idle solenoid, I'm not sure.... It's been a long time since I played with a Q-jet. 

You are planning an "open element" air filter when you switch to header exhaust, yes ?

4 minutes ago, Scott S. said:

The temp. sender doesn't have much to do with emissions.... But it does operate the gauge/warning light, so don't mess with that.

I believe the only other thing you can safely remove is the charcoal canister and hoses, remember to plug everything off .

As for the fast idle solenoid, I'm not sure.... It's been a long time since I played with a Q-jet. 

You are planning an "open element" air filter when you switch to header exhaust, yes ?

P.S.

I don't remember if your car is air conditioned, but removing the fast idle solenoid will effect it if you do have it.

My question is why?  Back then that stuff didn’t do anything but reclaim fuel vapors. Now if you have the smog pump, tubes, etc that I can see. Cleaner engine compartment and don’t play nice with headers. Save the take off parts. 

I agree, the TCS controls the transmission and has nothing to do with emissions. I would leave the fast idle solenoid alone and the temp sensor is needed if you have gauges or you want the light to work.

Thanks gents. The TCS solenoid because mine is broken, and it just seems tidier and simpler to bypass it. I don’t see any advantage in keeping it except for a restoration. It seems like an afterthought.  I figured some of the other  emissions stuff might be the same. 

sorry yeah mines got air con and is auto, 350. 

• Like 1

Paul, this is what i found:

The TCS (Transmission Controlled Spark) relay was introduced during the 1970 model year. This normally closed relay opened the TCS Solenoid to provide full vacuum to the distributor when the engine was cold.

• Like 1