Rear glass etching

I'm not sure it's physically possible to put the window in backwards, there are subtle compound curves that would stop it from laying flat.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jft69z said:

I'm not sure it's physically possible to put the window in backwards, there are subtle compound curves that would stop it from laying flat.

It definitely had a TON of silicone around the edge and it leaked pretty bad. That's why I'm curious. It had the etch facing inside the car.

I just went out & looked. Like Scott said, I can read it correctly from the outside of the car. What way is your etching?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jft69z said:

I just went out & looked. Like Scott said, I can read it correctly from the outside of the car. What way is your etching?

For some reason its not allowing me to upload pics from my phone or my computer. I just tried to fit the window both ways and its super obvious which way its supposed to go. The odd part is the way that it fits, the etch is facing inside. Yu could read it from sitting inside the car, looking out. The etch I'm referring to is the one on the lower edge, middle of the widow. It says PPG, Soft Ray, Flo-lite, and a few other things. 

Lately pics are hard to upload unless you re-size them a bit smaller, known issue.

That being said, is it possible it's a replacement window someone had 'date coded', and they etched it wrong?

On 8/22/2022 at 1:45 PM, jft69z said:

That’s funny you say this. The guy that put in my glass asked me if the bow of the window went in or out. He said he couldn’t remember because it’s been so long since he did one. He laughed and got it correct. 

6 minutes ago, Dtret said:

That’s funny you say this. The guy that put in my glass asked me if the bow of the window went in or out. He said he couldn’t remember because it’s been so long since he did one. He laughed and got it correct. 

I seem to recall scratching my head a little when I put mine back in at the time, since it was over a year since it had been removed. Couple that with a badly formed replacement window, and it was really confusing. Once they re-sent a better window, it was much more clear (pun, not intended)

To clarify, some are talking about the rear glass/ back window and some are talking about the rear quarter side window. 2 obviously different style windows. 

• Like 1

Wow! Cool! So mine must have been a factory error, etched backwards or something. The rear glass definitely only goes one way, I tried putting it both ways and there's about an inch gap on either side when it's in wrong. When the glass is in correctly, with the concave part going inwards, the etch is backwards on the outside of the car!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, EVC said:

Darwin was right. 

Not sure what provoked that comment but ok I guess. 🙄

To add to this thread, my passenger rear side window is backwards as well. Driver side reads normal. Rear window and passenger side are backwards. The glass in my car must have been made on a Friday! 😄

XHeB2qv.jpg

5e6Bx2Y.jpg

25 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Any chance they're aftermarket, date coded replacement windows?

Anything is possible with this car 😆. I assumed it was original because of how beat up and scratched it is. It could have been replaced by the previous owner in the past. It really needs replacing again, I just don't have the money for it right now.