Rear glass etching

For Me, Darwin applies to all 1970 Monte Carlos.

In my opinion, the 70 was most beautiful, but the most poorly assembled car of that time. 

I picked up my Monte summer of 70 and drove across the US and got into a rain storm in Mississippi .. The windshield and rear windows had major water flowing in the windshield and rear window…. After much pleading, the dealership in Jacksonville Florida finally agreed to fix it… Their solution was to use a glue gun and force it under the chrome trim.  It looked like pure crap…  

In the process, they dropped the glue gun on my hood and cause ugly damage… The hood fix was worse than the damage... It had body grinder marks dead center of the hood. They actually tried to hide the fact that they messed it up,  but the body putties and paints of that time would shrink and the imperfections would show after it sat in the sun for a few days… 

I loved the car,  but it never fit together correctly and looked like it was assembled on the Planet of Apes. GM was having serious Union issues in 1970 and it shows on the 1970 Monte Carlo… 

No offense meant by using the term Darwin … I spent the next 15 years reassembling my first Monte and correcting  body alignment issues …  I clearly saw the 71 and 72 as a vast assembly improvement    So, It doesn't surprise me that you're finding problems with the glass…. 

Darwin at work.

So if you have a perfect Monte consider yourself lucky.. I've spent 52 years with the Monte and they all have some level of body alignment issues….  

Ed C.

12711014_1047198338659413_3707787007261964293_o.jpg

31773_1334990212289_3987898_n.jpeg

On 8/22/2022 at 11:15 AM, Scott S. said:

The etching should be readable from the exterior of the car...... Does the window look dished in, or does it bubble outwards ???

I just checked all four of my roll up windows and they are readable from the inside… mirror image on the outside ...

3 hours ago, EVC said:

In my opinion, the 70 was most beautiful, but the most poorly assembled car of that time. 

I picked up my Monte summer of 70 and drove across the US and got into a rain storm in Mississippi .. The windshield and rear windows had major water flowing in the windshield and rear window…. After much pleading, the dealership in Jacksonville Florida finally agreed to fix it… Their solution was to use a glue gun and force it under the chrome trim.  It looked like pure crap…  

In the process, they dropped the glue gun on my hood and cause ugly damage… The hood fix was worse than the damage... It had body grinder marks dead center of the hood. They actually tried to hide the fact that they messed it up,  but the body putties and paints of that time would shrink and the imperfections would show after it sat in the sun for a few days… 

I loved the car,  but it never fit together correctly and looked like it was assembled on the Planet of Apes. GM was having serious Union issues in 1970 and it shows on the 1970 Monte Carlo… 

No offense meant by using the term Darwin … I spent the next 15 years reassembling my first Monte and correcting  body alignment issues …  I clearly saw the 71 and 72 as a vast assembly improvement    So, It doesn't surprise me that you're finding problems with the glass…. 

Darwin at work.

So if you have a perfect Monte consider yourself lucky.. I've spent 52 years with the Monte and they all have some level of body alignment issues….  

Ed C.

I misunderstood you when you said Darwin haha, no offense taken! You can probably see why this had me scratching my head when I went to put the window back in.

It seems they just etched the glass on either side, willy nilly! Makes me wonder how they manufactured it.... Did they form it to shape first, then etch? Or, was it etched on a flat piece and then formed? It seems if they cut the shape of the window out on a flat piece first, they could make left and right windows from the same template depending on which way it was formed. That would explain the etch being backwards sometimes.

My car is a 72 by the way. If I'm decoding the glass correctly, the 26-42 means PPG plant #26, made in April of 1972. I noticed the passenger side windows and rear glass are dated 4/72 while the driver side (the side that reads from the outside) is dated 5/72. It's quite possible its been changed out before.

All date coded parts could be up to 6months earlier than the assembly date of the car. 

If after the assembly date, then yes, most likely changed under warranty or someone else. 

15 hours ago, EVC said:

I just checked all four of my roll up windows and they are readable from the inside… mirror image on the outside ...

Really ???? WOW, I've never seen it that way. 

Must be from a mirror universe ??? lol

15 hours ago, EVC said:

Darwin at work.

Ed C.

All first year run cars have that issue.... It's all new to the guys on the line and the parts don't look anything like the pictures. lol