Carburetors

14 hours ago, Blake350 said:

that may sum it up pretty well...

Sounds about right.... With all the matched up components from the different manufacturer's, it basically a question of what you want to get out of your engine.

• Like 1

I have a mild sunday cruiser... I  also  read that  once you set up an Edelbrock, they are good to go"(set it and forget it)"  but for freguent changes(ie better tuneability) the performance guys prefer Holley...   I  put a 600 cfm eddy1406 on a very mild 350...  due to its "tuned for economy" I changed primary metering jets and rods to richen it up a bit and she has been perfect for my needs for over 15 years...

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Blake350 said:

I  put a 600 cfm eddy1406 on a very mild 350

I just removed a 1406 from my mild 350 and went with a Holley Sniper EFI. the 1406 was straight out of the box 10 years ago with only minor adjustments to make the engine purrrr purfectly. Removed a Holley because it would not run very well  with it.

• Like 2

Montelishi came with a 1405, plus the matching cam and intake. She was jetted for lower elevations, so when she got to the mountains, I had to lean ot the jetting quite a bit....... But working on Edelbrock is pretty simple.

• Like 1

I have been and Edelbrock fan since the 90's I put the new AV2 on the engine last year. its a 650 instead of the 600. there is total throttle response. It drives like a throttle body fuel injected engine in my opinion.  Edelbrock is much easier to jet up. You don't have to disassemble the carb to play with the jets. In fact, you don't have to remove the carb at all. I respect Holly but you seem to have more adjustments to maintain. I set up my AV2 and its good until I fool around with it because I want to. Not because I have to. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I was just gifted this spreadbore manifold. I currently have the stock 2 barrel on my '72.

I had a 1405 Edelbrock on my '37 Pontiac with chevy 350 for years. Always ran great.

Will this manifold work well with an adapter, or should I search for another manifold to run an edelbrock.

20221023_083303.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BobW said:

I was just gifted this spreadbore manifold. I currently have the stock 2 barrel on my '72.

I had a 1405 Edelbrock on my '37 Pontiac with chevy 350 for years. Always ran great.

Will this manifold work well with an adapter, or should I search for another manifold to run an edelbrock.

20221023_083303.jpg

Very nice gift to receive there !! 

There's nothing quite like the moaning of a spreadbore !!!!  If you choose to use the factory air cleaner assembly ,  Don't forget to flip the breather cover !!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 10/24/2022 at 6:34 AM, BobW said:

20221023_083303.jpg

Just picked up a Holley 80555 spreadbore to mount on the manifold.

Personally, I'd look for another carb... Depending on if you want to go stock. 

I like the Edelbrock carbs, but they don't mix with factory pieces like Holley does. And an adapter can throw the linkage geometry out of wack. 

• Like 4

I like the Edelbrock carbs. they perform well for me. They are easy to work on. You can change the jets without taking the carb. apart. But you have to have a pressure regulator as they require a max of 6 psi.

6 hours ago, Whons said:

I like the Edelbrock carbs. they perform well for me. They are easy to work on. You can change the jets without taking the carb. apart. But you have to have a pressure regulator as they require a max of 6 psi.

A high volume fuel pump works too.... Something from a Corvette or performance Camaro usually runs around 8 psi. 

• Like 1

Just now, Scott S. said:

A high volume fuel pump works too.... Something from a Corvette or performance Camaro usually runs around 8 psi. 

Sorry, I meant they use a larger fuel line.. 5/8" as opposed to the 1/2", which lowers the pressure to about 5 psi. 

Sunday morning after time change fog.... lol

30 minutes ago, Scott S. said:

Sorry, I meant they use a larger fuel line.. 5/8" as opposed to the 1/2", which lowers the pressure to about 5 psi. 

Sunday morning after time change fog.... lol

That’s a big fuel line ?  That’s heater hose size. 3/8 vs 5/16. 

• Like 2

On 11/7/2022 at 1:56 PM, Scott S. said:

Again.... Sunday morning.....

I'm still sizing lines by the size of wrench used to undo the fittings. 

You must have fun at the parts counter!  😉

• Haha 1