Borgeson steering gearbox install

Some of you were following my thread about road wander and alignment specs. Thanks for your input! The car drove MUCH better after adding a bunch of positive caster and updating some of the front suspension components. I wanted to give a shoutout to @Mike Brichta for recommending the Borgeson steering gearbox. I installed one recently and holy geez, it transformed the car. Great steering and road feel. Eliminated any remaining looseness or wander. It drives almost as well as a modern car. Money well spent and highly recommend! Thanks Mike!

borgeson.jpg

• Like 6

12 hours ago, kpcsgasp said:

What all did you do other than the steering box? It would seem I have the same wandering problem at highway speeds.

@kpcsgasp You can read most of it here but the two best things I did were dial in as much positive caster as I could (+5.5° in my case) and replace the steering gearbox with the Borgeson unit. These cars came from the factory with 0° caster with makes them easy to steer but also promotes wander and instability at highway speed. Modern cars have lots of positive caster to overcome those things. I just mimicked a modern car as much as I could and it made a huge difference. I set the camber to -.5° and total toe-in to 1/16" to 1/8". It's like driving a different car now.

All of the suspension parts are factory except the gearbox, which looks stock with the exception of the "Borgeson" label.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, EVC said:

Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 2.24.08 AM 2.png

Yes, this is the one. I bought mine from Summit because the offer free shipping and it's overnight delivery to my location because I'm fairly local to one of their warehouses.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Old topic I know but I installed a Borgeson unit in my 72 and the difference is tremendous. On center feel is much improved and the car doesn't wander any more. Before a strong wind would take me for a ride now it holds the road much better. Thanks for the advice.

• Like 2

Jus wondering if it was plug and 

On 8/31/2022 at 10:59 AM, TheBMan said:

Yes, this is the one. I bought mine from Summit because the offer free shipping and it's overnight delivery to my location because I'm fairly local to one of their warehouses.

Just wondering if it was plug n play, I saw this footnote on fitment for additional parts needed.

"Special Attention:

Models older than 1977 require BRG-990012 steering coupler. Requires power steering pitman arm. Includes adapters to accept either o-ring or inverted flare fittings. Features 3/4 in.-30 spline input shaft."

@DragCat For me, it was plug and play because I bought the gearbox and the rag joint (steering coupler). My car was already a power steering car so no issues with the pitman arm or fittings for the pump. It was one of the best upgrades I ever did to that car. 👍

3 hours ago, TheBMan said:

@DragCat For me, it was plug and play because I bought the gearbox and the rag joint (steering coupler). My car was already a power steering car so no issues with the pitman arm or fittings for the pump. It was one of the best upgrades I ever did to that car. 👍

Thanks for the update. Yea I have a p/s monte so was primary asking about the rag joint, this may be my next project reading the positive reviews

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I just picked up a new CPP 50004 box (for $100!) and ordered a new rag joint. 

Do I need to loosen and pull back the steering column for additional room to install the new rag joint when the new box is bolted in?

Hey Bob,

When I replaced my steering box I just left the unit loose from the frame and there was enough play to get the rag joint in without pulling the steering column.

Mind you, it was a factory type box from a late model Grand Cherokee, but the dimensions should be the same. 

Hope that helps, Scott.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Scott S. said:

Hey Bob,

When I replaced my steering box I just left the unit loose from the frame and there was enough play to get the rag joint in without pulling the steering column.

Mind you, it was a factory type box from a late model Grand Cherokee, but the dimensions should be the same. 

Hope that helps, Scott.

Thanks, that's what I was hoping!

• Like 1