I Did Not Win A Trophy Or Plaque

Rob Peters

Been doing a lot of work at our son's house and now working on removing all of the siding and trim on our deck due to rotting wood on the outside and replacing it with new.  On the way to church today I told my wife that since it was supposed to be 92 degrees today I am not working on the shed in that heat and humidity and had made a spur of the moment to go to a benefit car cruise.  Patsy said it sounded like a good decision.

It was odd, this was a benefit show/cruise hosted by a self storage facility to benefit a local volunteer fire department.  All proceeds from the food, basket raffle were to go to the volunteer fire department.  They were also having a raffle for $1000 so I bought raffle tickets for everything.  In reality, all of the food was free and they put a fireman's boot on the food table that if you wished you could put some money into the boot as a donation.  

As I said, no award plaques or trophies.  It was stinking hot and humid and I was glad when it was starting to wrap up.  They gave away all of the basket raffle items and a few door prizes and I didn't win anything and with the number of attendees there I did not expect to win anything.  It was nice to go to a cruise/show in an area I don't usually go because I get to see some different cars and that did not disappoint because I saw a lot of beautiful different cars.

As it was ready to shut down I decided I would get ready to head out.  I figured I would be ready to pull out as soon as they had the drawing for the $1000 raffle so I could beat the mad rush from the facility.  I was sitting in the Monte, all strapped in and sitting there idling with it in drive.  Low and behold they called the number and it was one of my raffle tickets I had purchased......

A little boy, about 4 or 5 years old had pulled the winning ticket.  It was a bit of a walk up to the sales table so it took me a bit to get there.  I I asked the guy who had drawn the winning ticket because I wanted to donate a part of the winnings to the person who had pulled the winning ticket and also donate some of it to the fire department.  The guy handed me the cash to make those donations.  He told me the remainder of the money has to be sent from the home office of the storage facility so I will have that in a few days.  I was a little spectacle at first but this is an event they have been holding for a number of years so it is on the up and up. 

So, I didn't win a plaque or trophy but if I want I can buy one with my winnings when I get it but more than likely I will buy something for my Monte or Model A and spend some on Patsy too.....ya gotta love found money.

rob 

• Like 11