Haunted Dome Light.

Scott S.

Ever since I got Montelishi back from the painters,(last year) the dome light didn't work. The console and other lights do but not the dome. (in any mode) I replaced the bulb, fixture, and traced the wires.... but no luck.

Six months ago I switched my dash lights to LEDs, and was happy to have the visibility improved.

Anyways, a couple weeks ago, the "inst lts" fuse blew, and I replaced it with one of a slightly higher amperage. Everything was fine. AND..... The dome light worked.... ????

Last week, the dome light stopped working again....... (scratch head) 

I needed to run the in the dark the other day, and when I turned the lights on, the dash lights blew another fuse. Got me thinking I need to go to a higher amp'd fuse for the LEDs. 

But when I got home, and opened the door, the dome light is working again... (more head scratching) 

I've looked at the wiring, which appears O.K., but now I'm thinking it might be the light switch itself......

Any ideas ???? 

So no dome light in either mode, door open or using the potentiometer on the headlight switch then? I want to say the headlight switch feeds the door switches power, but that is from memory and not looking at a wiring diagram

Only when the fuse is good.... When the fuse fails, I get both modes working.

I don't believe the light switch and the door switch share the same circuit..... Just send power to the same device/light. Which is why it's strange that a failure only effects the dome light and not the rest.  

That part works.... As well as twisting the headlight switch. 

The dash lights only effect the dome light..... 

I replaced the fuse yesterday with a higher amperage one. Dimmed the dome light, but seemed to stay on. 

I'll see how long this one lasts, but it appears that my LEDs are drawing more amps than I thought they would.