396 4 speed 70 Monte

The build sheet does show it as a 400 4-speed and the engine code CKR breaks down as a 400.  It being a factory 400 4-speed does make it a desirable car, especially if it is a numbers matching Monte.

rob

CHEVELLE * MONTE CARLO

Code Prefix
Code Prefix
6-250
P/G, Taxi& Police
CCM 8-396
HDC, 375hp
CKQ
6-250
T/H, Taxi& Police
CCK 8-396
HDC, 375hp
CKU
6-250
M/T, Taxi& Police
CCL 8-396
M/T, 375hp
CKT
8-307
Std. tran
CNC 8-400
T/H, 325hp
CKN
8-307
4 sp. trans
CND 8-400
M/T, 330hp
CKR
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dtret said:

I wanna say no. But I don’t believe the redline is factory. Lol. 

My tach is after market and looks exactly like this cars tach.... I wanted to put it on the left but that would have required major surgery on the gage circuit panel … That was above my skill levels, so I put it in the old clock position …  

The TACH came as the gage package which replaced the idiot lights.  If you look at his TACH you will see that it was added and the clock removed because the hole for the clock adjustment stem is still there.

rob

10 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

The TACH came as the gage package which replaced the idiot lights.  If you look at his TACH you will see that it was added and the clock removed because the hole for the clock adjustment stem is still there.

rob

Thanks Rob, I didn't notice that… Mine has the hole from the clock stem as well… I managed to find a small rubber grommet that fits perfectly. Keeps the dust out .… I'd wager that if this car were stock it would have the factory gage package…. 

Ed  

Edited by EVC

2 hours ago, Dtret said:

I wanna say no. But I don’t believe the redline is factory. Lol. 

The factory redline for a small block was 5k and a big block 5500. It is known that the tachs did get mixed up at times and the correct position is to the left where the big gas gauge is/ would have been. 

• Like 3