‘70 Big Block 4-Speed (here ya go, Rob!)

Glen

Not quite sure why this guy insists on re-badging the air cleaner it when it was originally sold/marketed as a 402, but I wonder if it’s authentic. I’m not a First Gen cyclopedia by any means, so maybe I’m missing something?  

The ad says he has a build sheet, yet I didn’t see that in any of the pictures… Perhaps an email to the seller is in order.  And while it’s not too close to me, it’s not terribly far… I’d be happy to take a ride for pictures and numbers verification, etc.  if anybody is genuinely interested.  

And this might be fate or serendipity or whatever… but the sellers name is ALSO Rob(b), Mr. Peters. 

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/ctd/d/kenilworth-1970-chevrolet-monte-carlo/7528116764.html

I'm not sure if any Monte Carlos came from factory with any stickers on the top of the air cleaners. Also it would have been marketed as, and is technically a LS3 - 400 Turbo Jet. The 402 moniker is only a nickname given to the engine referring to it's  actual 402.2 CI displacement. So the correct sticker (if any) would have been "400 Turbo Jet"

There is full documentation on the site where it's being auctioned (at the end of the craigslist ad) https://www.clasiq.com/auction/1970-chevrolet-monte-carlo/ and it appears to be a genuine factory '70 400 - 4 speed

All Monte Carlos 70-71, small and big block had cubic inch and hp rating stickers on their air cleaners. 

The blue one is of my brothers 71 SS454 and the red one is "Big Red" my 70 SS454. 

Neither air cleaner is correct for the cars. The one on the blue Monte is actually a fairly uncommon dual snorkel one from a 70 bb Chevelle and the one on Big Red is an aftermarket one for a bb Camaro that fits a Holley carb. The 71 now has the correct 454 air cleaner assy on it. 

IMG_20190914_120350.jpg

IMG_0124.JPG

Unless I'm missing something, the 402 big block cars were labeled as 400, not 396. Regardless, this guy says "This is the original 402 cubic inch V8 that Chevy marketed in 1970 as a 396", which I'm pretty sure is not factual (at least in the case of the Monte Carlo). Looking at this resource page seems to confirm this. I'm genuinely interested in @Rob Peters feedback. I agree with @Glen, I'd like to see the build sheet.

In 70 all 396's we're actually 402s. They kept the 396 call out for the Chevelle's  and Camaros because the SS396 sold so well. Why mess with it.

You could get a 402 in a non SS Chevelle and those cars had a 400 emblem towards the front of the fenders by the headlights. If a 400 emblem behind the front wheel, it's a small block 400. This emblem location/meaning goes for the impala also.  

The Monte Carlo is a 402 and was advertised as such. Not a 396. 

Also the big block 400 were actually 402s were also known as "turbo jet" while the 400 "ram Jet " was a small block. 

Note- the small blocks are known as "turbo-fire" thanks again sbarnette. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MC1of80 said:

In 70 all 396's we're actually 402s. They kept the 396 call out for the Chevelle's  and Camaros because the SS396 sold so well. Why mess with it.

You could get a 402 in a non SS Chevelle and those cars had a 400 emblem towards the front of the fenders by the headlights. If a 400 emblem behind the front wheel, it's a small block 400. This emblem location/meaning goes for the impala also.  

The Monte Carlo is a 402 and was advertised as such. Not a 396. 

Also the big block 400 were actually 402s were also known as "turbo jet" while the 400 "ram Jet " was a small block. 

If I’m not mistaken the small block was a Turbo-Fire.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MC1of80 said:

Morning all. Sbarnette, you are correct. The small blocks are "turbo-fire". Thanks for catching me on that. 😁

And that’s what makes this sure a great group of people. Nobody is to big to own their mistakes. 

• Like 4