Repo oem lock sets...

70chev

Does any company out there make the correct style oem lock sets with the J,K stamped keys for a 70? I can find sets of locks, but the keys have different letters. From what I understand, the letters correspond with the year of the car. 

Thank you! 

Wayne I am not sure you can get them new any more. You can probably get a set from Leo, Jared or maybe Steve from the club resource section.   I know i took my original set to the locksmith and he changed one of the guts to one because there were 3 keys, i knew i only needed two keys. If i remember correctly the stamp was "J" and "D" but i had a 72.    Just something to think about!

• Like 2

Higgins lock and key in Greensboro NC .

I know a few years ago they had the correct blanks. This is a very old company and has a large selection of old stock . I know that they bought out several other locksmiths and acquired their inventory as well.

Higgins lock and key . 2418 Battleground Ave Greensboro NC    336-404-6372

The factory lock cylinders can be rebuilt and key blanks are still available. Look for a good reputable locksmith to possibly rebuild your locks, get blanks or as Mike has suggested. I have found that older long established locksmiths still carry the blanks and know how to work on the older locks and vehicles. This is where age and experience count. 

• Like 2

Thanks guys! Looking for a new lock set, I know you can still get the correct key blanks. My ignition key will start the car, but can be pulled out after it is running, and my trunk lock was accidentally hit by the sander while doing body work, so the chrome got rubbed off on one side. Figured it would be easier to replace with a new set. A lot of the repo ones I find are the incorrect lettering on the key, ( I know it will still work, but it will bug me.) 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, 70chev said:

🤣 for 71, your keys should be A,B. Sorry, little details like that drive me crazy 🤪 

Me too,  but an hour ago I didn’t know it bothered me. lol 😂   Thanks. Which is which?  I told you I had no clue. 😳😳😳

A is square B is round. I think you need to change all the locks through. I don't think you can get A,B key blanks and cut them to match yours there is a slight difference in the key itself....I think.......... won't cost you much to get a few blanks and try though.....🤷

Sorry I got you all wound up about this too......🤣🤣🤣🤦

My trunk lock sticks sometimes I have the original key but it's worn out I had a couple others made up from it. I called a local locksmith that all the dealers use they said they can take care of it so it comes out this winter to be rebuilt or whatever.  I'm going to see if they have any original blanks also. I have the original ignition key also but it's worn down to almost a nub.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On my 70, square is for ignition and doors, round is for trunk and glove box. May have changed for 71? Later GM cars I have had, are as you stated, and most repos are like that also. 

• 3 weeks later...

I told you that it would bother me. Lol

set of 3 each (J. K ) for the 70 chevelle and the pos 70

set of 3 each (A. B ) for the 71

set of 3 each (C. D) for the 72 ( if I can find the one I want)

my gm dealers love me and didn’t even charge me. Lol. But I’ll bet they don’t fit the cylinders. But it’s a start. 

1DA47E84-1A2C-4DAD-8107-C16D204BD904.jpeg

• Like 4

I don’t like the “C” code keys. The logo is upside down. I’m going to 4 different gm dealers tomorrow I’ll see if I can get better ones. I don’t like the way the “D” is stamped either. It looks like a repop. Both for the 72 Custom that I don’t have. Lol. 

• Like 1

Haha nice!!! I got the replacement locks from SS 396 and they look identical to the factory Originals from 1970. I am glad you got all your keys in order!!