1970 Monte with Radical Camshaft.

Yes I do have lock up and it is wired up correctly. Still away from home. I will figure out my differential gear ratio when I get home by Sunday and let you guys on the forum know. Thanks Wayne 

• Like 1

Ok Guys & Gals my 1970 Monte Carlo has the 700R4 transmission with overdrive (it stays in overdrive until you slow down). Rear differential gear ratio is 3.73 with 12 bolt posi, and the rear tires are 26" diameter. I got it running pretty good by advancing the timing slightly and leaning out the idle mixture screws. It will not stall anymore when in gear. I don't know what the stall converter is in it. If i do change the Torque converter, I would have to know if it would idle any better. This is my first car with a higher lift cam.

A higher lift cam will always run a touch on the rough side... I've got pretty much the same set up with a 200r4. Except the transmission was built out to take 800 hp. and uses a 2400 rpm torque converter. The only time I actually set the shift into overdrive is at 50 mph+ (highway driving).

I remember taking my '86 Buick T-Type into a dealership once, and a couple mechanics were convinced it needed a tune up. Luckily the lead mechanic knew what the car was and told them that with over .5" of total lift, that's what they were supposed to idle like. 

Performance makes noise...... That's part of why we do it. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I got my 700r4 transmission ID #  9TK061D. So according to my research it is a 1982 with a 27 spline input shaft, and I'm going to look for one that has 2200 to 2400 rpm stall. Can anyone verify if I identified the right transmission. Thanks.

I'm going to wait until next season to change my torque converter. My only question is The TV cable on the 700r4 transmission. Can I remove the 10 mm bolt that holds the cable to the transmission and take the hook out of the link rod without having the link fall into the transmission. I really hate to have to remove it from the carburetor because I had a transmission mechanic do some things inside the valve body and adjust the TV cable. Remember the Lemon Squad never road tested this car and when I got the Brakes with the vacuum pump,( which I did myself) straightened out I found out the transmission didn't shift. Thanks in advance for any advise.

Remember the TV cable is critical to the 700 and 200r4 transmissions. Without it adjusted properly or even hooked up, the transmission will burn up. (cook the clutches) not actually burst into flames. 

That being said, yes it is possible to disconnect the cable from the transmission but you will have to disconnect it from the carburetor also. 

• Like 1

I'm trying to avoid disconnecting it from the carb because it has a modified mounting bracket. I know it is tricky to adjust. It has the right linkage arm on the throttle for the Edelbrock carburetor. If I just remove the end of the cable where it snaps on ball on the carb linkage arm will it give the cable enough slack to remove it from the link at the transmission. Then drop the transmission and be able to put it back without changing the adjuster position on the carb bracket. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Whons said:

I'm trying to avoid disconnecting it from the carb because it has a modified mounting bracket. I know it is tricky to adjust. It has the right linkage arm on the throttle for the Edelbrock carburetor. If I just remove the end of the cable where it snaps on ball on the carb linkage arm will it give the cable enough slack to remove it from the link at the transmission. Then drop the transmission and be able to put it back without changing the adjuster position on the carb bracket. 

Yes, that is how. 

I was just going to pop the cable off the ball stud on the carb. (I think we are talking about the same thing). I am going to purchase both oil seals for the front of the transmission. I see they make an oil lock ring for the large seal where the torque converter goes in. Is that necessary ?

• Like 1

I watched a you tube video and I saw how the lock ring is used so I bought it and the front seal and tail shaft seal. I like to be prepared ahead of time on any job I plan on doing.