Jury Duty

Rob Peters

I had to report for jury duty today.  Doing my civic duty.  I am #39 in the first group and they are now doing the juror interviews and are interviewing #20 so I figure at least 2 hours till I know if I will be picked.  Long boring day.

rob

41 minutes ago, Montemedic said:

At least you earn a day’s pay at work. Jury duty pay just about covers what you had for lunch. 

If you aren't selected it is $9.00 plus travel pay so since I was not picked I will receive a check for a whopping $10 36.

The case was brought by the wife of a guy who died after falling from a 3 ft. step ladder.  She is claiming the ladder was defective.

rob

I was juror #39 in a pool of 40 jurors.  They had filled the jury before they got to my juror interview so I did not get selected.  Out of the jurors they selected, 2 were men and the rest were mostly older women.  

Here in Pittsburgh when called for Jury Duty it is one trial and Done.  So if you are not picked you don't go back into the Jury pool, you are done and get to go home but it was 2:30 before that decision was made.

Now all I have to do is decide what to do with my check for $10.36 when it arrives from the county.

rob

Wow! I got $9.55 in cash and my parking validated the last time I was selected. Turns out the drapery hangar response works if you need to get back to work. You know, "Personally, I think we should hang them all". In my defense, it was a murder trial. 

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Steve G said:

I just walk in and tell them I’m not doing this.... walked out every time within 5 minutes.

That does not work here in Pennsylvania.  There are legit reasons to be excused and work if you qualify.  Personally, when I first received my summons I automatically qualified to be exempted because I was 70 or older.  I did not accept this exemption, as a resident of this state and county I felt it is my civic duty to participate. 

In reality, the chances of being picked for a jury are low.  On that day there were over 90 juror's in the room.  They broke us down into two groups of 40.  Out of those 40 only 12 juror's and an alternate were selected for that jury.

rob

• Like 1

I’ve been called three times only one time did I make it to the jury box and that time they dismissed all 12 of us. The judge said that is the first time a whole prospective just had been dismissed at once

You should’ve called me, Rob.  I would’ve given you the phrase that pays to drop during the interview/questions phase to ensure you’d never have to get summoned as a potential juror again. I have a 100% success rate. 

52 minutes ago, Glen said:

You should’ve called me, Rob.  I would’ve given you the phrase that pays to drop during the interview/questions phase to ensure you’d never have to get summoned as a potential juror again. I have a 100% success rate. 

Thanks Glen, i appreciate the offer.  Being 72 years old I was eligible to be excused but i didn't mind performing my civic duty.  That said, I don't fault anyone who doesn't want to or can't for whatever reason.  

rob

First time I was called way back, never made it to be interviewed, but had to stay until the day was done.

Second time i had Covid, so i am waiting to hear from them any week now.  However, i agree with Rob, when it's your time, it's your time!!