Upper Radiator Hose Plastic Securing Strap

Hi all,

I'm posting on your forum here for a friend of mine who owns both a 70 and a '71 Monte Carlo SS 454.  Both of her cars are missing the upper radiator hose plastic strap that secures the hose to the fan shroud.  I can't find a source for that part anywhere online.  Anyone here know where I could obtain a couple of those?  Perhaps there not available any more?  Any help would be truly appreciated!

Thanks!!

Scott

This one from AMK may work, but they would want a $30 minimum order. If someone is ordering something from them, maybe adding this to the order as a test to see if they fit may be a good thing. Looks similar to the ones in the links above, but length is a big factor. Description says 6.69" overall length.

https://www.amkproducts.com/bulk-fasteners-products/?Product_ID=13201

• Like 2

I had a few of them in the past and took the time to dimension one being aware they are hard to come by.  Now dimensions are approximate and very very close to actual size.  You can likely find something pretty close to it if nosey enuff to search.  I have (1) in my inventory as a spare, the remainder had been sold long ago.

Good luck on your search and if found a reliable clone, please let ALL know.

Doug

101_4112.JPG

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, 72-CLASSIC_RIDE said:

Now dimensions are approximate and very very close to actual size. 

Doug

Having the dimensions is a good thing Doug. The one's from AMK above would be too short then. Plus I just went out in the shop to see in person, sure enough, they'd be too short. Thanks!

(I was hoping a nominal 2" OD hose x 3.14 would be close, but no luck in reality).

• Like 1

I found some of these listed on eBay.  Here's the link below.

These are 8 3/4" in length, so they're 1 1/8" longer than the one shown above in 72-CLASSIC RIDE's post, but I think they may still work.  The design of this strap looks to be very similar. They are sold in quantities of five.

.GM GMC Factory Correct Heater A/C Hose Wiring Harness Loom Tie Straps 5pcs C | eBay

Here is the real deal. I used to sell these to members. I do have some but have not found them yet. These are GM straps that were used on many vehicles in the 70’s and 80’s. They were available through GM Dealers.

8650CE71-0D99-4CDA-A082-B6A9E8678758.jpeg

28C8DC49-DFFC-4D0C-9376-342F702B5793.jpeg

3A367B1A-85A4-4DCB-BA19-466E567FC919.jpeg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Rene SS 454 said:

I found some of these listed on eBay.  Here's the link below.

These are 8 3/4" in length, so they're 1 1/8" longer than the one shown above in 72-CLASSIC RIDE's post, but I think they will probably still work.  The design of this strap looks to be very similar. They are sold in quantities of five.

.GM GMC Factory Correct Heater A/C Hose Wiring Harness Loom Tie Straps 5pcs C | eBay

According to the fitment chart on page 51 on the website they work for a 6.6L 402 Monte Carlo, a 350 Nova plus a multitude of others

• 5 months later...

I realize this is an old thread but I stumbled across it while looking for something else. I could not find a source for the upper hose tie down strap but I did use these on my 72, which worked very nicely. They have a built-in push pin that fits the hole in the shroud and then you just use it as any other cable tie. Slick!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0936L1ZFF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 3

It appears I emailed that company last September but I don't have a record of them replying back.  I have sent them a message through their website with the dimensions provided.  Hopefully they will get back to me this time.  Would someone who does not have a strap in the shroud hold please measure the diameter of the hole in the shroud and let me know what size the hole is.

rob 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

It appears I emailed that company last September but I don't have a record of them replying back.  I have sent them a message through their website with the dimensions provided.  Hopefully they will get back to me this time.  Would someone who does not have a strap in the shroud hold please measure the diameter of the hole in the shroud and let me know what size the hole is.

rob 

The hole is 1/4".

IMG_0976.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheBMan said:

I realize this is an old thread but I stumbled across it while looking for something else. I could not find a source for the upper hose tie down strap but I did use these on my 72, which worked very nicely. They have a built-in push pin that fits the hole in the shroud and then you just use it as any other cable tie. Slick!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0936L1ZFF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I actually have those in stock, and tried it at the time this post came out. Wasn't perfect, but they're better than nothing? In my case the Amazon one was a little short, so I added a regular zip tie (hidden underneath) to extend the reach & make it work. If they made them 10" long, it would have been perfect.

These were the ones I ordered, and were also 8.3" (210 mm) and unfortunately, the longest offered:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CBNZTNB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I haven't decided if I'm going to keep it on there yet...

20220921_105348.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 3:46 PM, jft69z said:

This one from AMK may work, but they would want a $30 minimum order. If someone is ordering something from them, maybe adding this to the order as a test to see if they fit may be a good thing. Looks similar to the ones in the links above, but length is a big factor. Description says 6.69" overall length.

https://www.amkproducts.com/bulk-fasteners-products/?Product_ID=13201

Good find!

11 minutes ago, TheBMan said:

Good find!

They'd be too short for the radiator hose, unfortunately. Maybe get a couple of them and heat fuse them together to the right length, would probably be the most factory correct looking?

With a $30 minimum order & $10 shipping, that would be a no go, unless some other stuff needed to be ordered at the same time.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, jft69z said:

I actually have those in stock, and tried it at the time this post came out. Wasn't perfect, but they're better than nothing? In my case the Amazon one was a little short, so I added a regular zip tie (hidden underneath) to extend the reach & make it work. If they made them 10" long, it would have been perfect.

These were the ones I ordered, and were also 8.3" (210 mm) and unfortunately, the longest offered:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CBNZTNB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I haven't decided if I'm going to keep it on there yet...

20220921_105348.jpg

I wonder if there are slight variations in hose manufacturing. The hose on my 72 sat in perfect position for the zip tie to wrap around the hose and push into the hole without the gap like yours; it was a perfectly snug fit. Here's a picture before I installed the zip tie (the only picture of the hose I could find). It looks like the hose sits a little more 'left' than yours.

hose.jpg